Cell Phones

I'm moving from Vancouver to St. John's (NL). Which carrier should I use instead of Wind?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2016 2:21 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
1031 posts
4 upvotes
Surrey, BC

I'm moving from Vancouver to St. John's (NL). Which carrier should I use instead of Wind?

Hey,

I've been using Wind for the past several years. Although the reception has been somewhat spotty, I've generally been satisfied with their value. I'm going to be moving to St. John's for a few years. Which carrier should I use instead of Wind? I don't need much data -- 2 GB should be fine. I have my own phone so I just want the leanest cell phone plan. Finally, will I get better deals around Xmas?
The unexamined life is not worth living.
- Socrates
8 replies
Jul 15, 2003
442 posts
280 upvotes
From what I've been told by friends who go back to NFLD to visit, Bell/Telus > Rogers
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
Public Mobile.....$40 - 4GB - Unlimited Text + Province Talk
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Yup, there's a huge thread on the current Public Mobile promo. I just switched over myself (from Rogers), so if you have any questions feel free to PM me (though most questions should be answered in either the first post or the thread summary for that thread)
Apr 30, 2015
207 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Data plan with lte (and a phone that supports lte), then voip ms.
My VoIP.ms settings with Zoiper:
Disabled Echo cancellation
Sip
Transport= TCP, registry=300
Dialler integration, always on
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
1031 posts
4 upvotes
Surrey, BC
wearysky wrote: Yup, there's a huge thread on the current Public Mobile promo. I just switched over myself (from Rogers), so if you have any questions feel free to PM me (though most questions should be answered in either the first post or the thread summary for that thread)
The offer looks good. How do I get started? How's the reception in Newfoundland?
- Socrates
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Troodon wrote: The offer looks good. How do I get started? How's the reception in Newfoundland?
You order a sim first. $5, but they ship it priority shipping. They're a bit overwhelmed so it might take an extra couple days to get it shipped, but when it ships it should arrive in just a few days. You do all the sign-up on their website, and in fact you do everything on their website - they have no support phone line or anything They *do* have a fantastic community of people that help out, and 4 paid employees who are in the forums addressing issues for people as well. All the sign up is pretty straight forward. The only things you need to keep in mind:

- It's province-wide calling only. They have long distance add-ons, at $15 for 400 minutes that never expire (so you keep them till you use them all, or you close your account). But if you do a ton of Canada-wide calling it might not be for you.
- Data add-ons are expensive, so if you need more than 12GB/90 days, it might not be for you either
- No subsidized phones. You gotta bring your own (unlocked, or locked to Telus/Koodo) phone.
- The promo is only on till Nov 20. I don't know when you're moving, but you have to have signed up by then.
- Once you sign up for this plan, your plan and price won't change when you renew every 90 days. I mean, they can obviously change it at some point in the future if they want (just have to give 30 days notice on their website), but as it stands they have never done it in their history, and there are people who've had grandfathered plans for years with no price raises (that are much better deals than this one).
- If you set up auto-pay, you get $2 off per 30 days
- They also have referral rewards, so every person you refer gets you $1 off per 30 days as well. I've referred a ton of people since switching over, I'm thrilled with my service so far.
- They also have rewards for participating in their forums, to encourage people to be helpful and try to contribute (which is smart, since their support is entirely in their forums - if users can help each other out, it eliminates some of the workload for their employees)

As far as reception... They're on the Telus network, which means they share coverage with Telus and Bell. Looking at the St John's towers on the cell tower map, it looks like Bell has the most towers (by a significant margin), so reception should be great.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
1031 posts
4 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Thanks dude.
- Socrates
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Troodon wrote: Thanks dude.
No problem, happy to help. Any more questions, feel free to ask (and no, not fishing for referrals like some people are accusing us helpful folk of doing in the PM thread, lol)