Shopping Discussion

I'm so stupid, how do I get the SDM self-checkout to scan my PC MC?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 10:45 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2015
1294 posts
1512 upvotes

I'm so stupid, how do I get the SDM self-checkout to scan my PC MC?

I literally spent 5 minutes going through every menu and I feel like a complete idiot. How in the world do I get the SDM Self-checkout machine to scan my PC Mastercard so that I can use my offers?

I gave up and just paid with it, hoping that would do the trick much like it does at Loblaws, but no luck.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4782 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond
if they haven't updated their system, you'll need an employee to do something for you. Yesterday I was in they just updated it. You just press pay and then it'll give you the option to scan your pc mc.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2015
1294 posts
1512 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote: if they haven't updated their system, you'll need an employee to do something for you. Yesterday I was in they just updated it. You just press pay and then it'll give you the option to scan your pc mc.
Perfect, thank you!
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
Personally, I won't touch the SDM machines for little finicky issues like that. Not to mention, they aren't staffed, so trying to fix something on the screen, involves budding the line and trying to push a cashier over to stop what they are doing to help you.

I just avoid the whole thing and keep employing real people :D

You should probably leave some feedback to customer service via an e-mail, that's definitely something they should be fixing / making easier. It should almost be a huge bubble that's encouraging you to see your offers / use your offers, which would in-turn encourage people to get the card to see what they are missing out on. In a sense, it's subliminal advertising, if they did it right.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
I’ve never seen a self checkout at an Sdm
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1318 posts
1145 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: I’ve never seen a self checkout at an Sdm
Usually the bigger stores have them (the ones that carry some groceries), at least in Calgary.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
CanadianSpruce wrote: Usually the bigger stores have them (the ones that carry some groceries), at least in Calgary.
Yup... they are popping up all over
Saw the first one about 6 months ago
Now see them in many stores

Like @DaVibe my interactions with them have been more problematic than anything else
So unless it’s a straightforward purchase (just expecting Base Points)
I am avoiding them in favour of going to a Cashier
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2015
1294 posts
1512 upvotes
OK so next question, how do I do it properly when I go through the cashier? Do they do 'tap for points' like RCSS? Or is using a plastic PCO card the only way to get points at SDM?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
2290 posts
2343 upvotes
Toronto
It can not be done at self serve. You need a live person to process the transaction. That was what the SDM employee told me.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2015
1294 posts
1512 upvotes
I have the PC Financial Mastercard that is linked to my PC Optimum account. I do not have a plastic PC Optimum card because my PC Mastercard doubles as the Optimum card.

At Shoppers, I have no way for them to see that my PC Mastercard is linked to a PC Optimum account, to them it's just any ol' Mastercard. It seems like I have to get a plastic PCO card to scan first.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
saberon2016 wrote: At Shoppers, I have no way for them to see that my PC Mastercard is linked to a PC Optimum account, to them it's just any ol' Mastercard. It seems like I have to get a plastic PCO card to scan first.
Plastic card or the PC Optimum phone app.... at least Esso/Mobil stations have phone number lookup too.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1318 posts
1145 upvotes
Smiley22 wrote: It can not be done at self serve. You need a live person to process the transaction. That was what the SDM employee told me.
As of two days ago, it asks if you have a PC card and then you can tap it.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2015
1294 posts
1512 upvotes
CorSter wrote: Plastic card or the PC Optimum phone app.... at least Esso/Mobil stations have phone number lookup too.
My phone was in my pocket, didn't even think of that. Ugh! :(
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Don’t have a PC MC... but I do tend to be a bit of a Points Guru when it comes to the PCO Program

Some folks have said they have had success with double tapping their PC MCs to collect both sets of points (PCO Offers + PC MC)
While others have said this doesn’t seem to work in all circumstances

It’s sucks to carry more cards than just one (the PC MC CC)

But the advantage is you have a better chance of collecting the regular pints on PCO Offers of you have the App, Plastic Card it Key Fob

And for those that wish to share Offers with other family members

Carrying around spare key fobs are not that big of a deal
(ie I carry MY PCO Card for my Offers, and SOs PCO Key Fob for their Offers, and they do the same... THEIR Card & MY Key Fob)

Takes a bit of planning, but means more items bought with promos every time one of us shops