Careers

I'm starting a new job - could I get some advice on kicking ass in the first 2/4/6 weeks please?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2019 9:05 pm
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
240 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto

I'm starting a new job - could I get some advice on kicking ass in the first 2/4/6 weeks please?

So I'm starting a new job shortly. It's a Finance job, though this post isn't restricted to those in the Finance world.

I'm a bit nervous because this role is substantially more senior than I was expecting. Apparently I'm reporting to the VP, which I'm *really* not comfortable with. And also in the past my manager was a bit disappointed in my work.

So I'd like to get some advice from others on how I can really kick ass in the first 2/4/6 weeks. I got the be proactive, be enthusiastic part. If there's anything else I'm all ears :)
27 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2047 posts
530 upvotes
Woodbridge
They hired you for a reason. Assuming you didn't lie or embellish on your resume and interview, they saw something in you and they chose you. You might not be comfortable in the position, but they're comfortable putting you there. Remember that. Also, what did your previous manager not like about your work? Try to take proactive steps to address those issues so that they don't occur in your new workplace.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2198 posts
226 upvotes
North York
Just few quick advices

- Learn as much as you could. Take notes, ask questions, and try to grasp not just the task but how it all works in the end (input, outputs, who's involved, the processes, etc). Try to get a sense of what is that they expect out of you (i.e mandate)

- Be likeable. It's important to make friends with coworkers, be friendly (smile!), get to know your coworkers! Being familiar with coworkers help you knowing who to ask for in case you don't know the answer (trust me, this will come in very handy on a day-to-day basis)

- Postpone delivering any advice / improvement to much later on (at least 3+ months). Resist saying "oh in my previous work it was all done X, which is so much better than how you guys do it here". Hold that thought for 3 months.

- Finally, work ethics including showing up on time, being organized and performing are all important.

- Ultimately within 3 months the goals are: you can do the job & you fit in within the team.

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5076 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
lol people downvoting this topic. some people are just toxic by nature. (you know who you are).

OP, lots of good suggestions here. just be likeable. approach everyone in friendly manner, they will definitely help you if you get stuck.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5313 posts
766 upvotes
Toronto
What happens after 2/4/6 weeks? Pace yourself.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Sep 28, 2013
496 posts
138 upvotes
What you need to do is find the biggest guy in the room on your first day and just straight out deck him.

Ah, wait. Wrong selection of 'first day advice'. As others have noted, just showing that you're eager to learn and interested in your job (without seeming over the top) will go far in creating a positive first impression. Spend an extra hour a day reviewing all your key accounts or materials so that you memorize stats about them - and drop those when you're referencing your work to your boss. It'll show that you're up to speed quickly.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7949 posts
3818 upvotes
Toronto
bigdan, should change his name to littledan
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
240 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:59 am
Believe in yourself choosen one.
My advice is life advice... Have a good breakfast. Sleep well. Avoid snacks before bed.
A strong body is a strong mind!
Great advice, thanks!

Err...I skip breakfast b/c it's such a pain to figure out what to have. And when I ask others what they have, turns out a lot of people skip it! What do you have?
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
240 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:29 pm
lol people downvoting this topic. some people are just toxic by nature. (you know who you are).

OP, lots of good suggestions here. just be likeable. approach everyone in friendly manner, they will definitely help you if you get stuck.
People are down going this question? Seriously? That's very odd. How can you tell?

Thanks for your suggestion!
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1917 posts
674 upvotes
Alberta
Take notes. That’s the key in the first few weeks. If you take good notes and don’t ask the same question twice/three times people will notice. Also don’t try and understand the details right away (unless it’s a procedure you need to do) it’s better to understand the big picture.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
240 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
abc123yyz wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:51 am
Take notes. That’s the key in the first few weeks. If you take good notes and don’t ask the same question twice/three times people will notice. Also don’t try and understand the details right away (unless it’s a procedure you need to do) it’s better to understand the big picture.
Great point, esp about the big picture. Thx!
Apr 14, 2017
578 posts
204 upvotes
DT Calgary
bigdan wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:52 pm
People are down going this question? Seriously? That's very odd. How can you tell?

Thanks for your suggestion!
Top left hand corner tells you how people are rating your thread. It tells me that test9251 down-voted your topic for some reason.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
240 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
FreshCo wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:53 am
Top left hand corner tells you how people are rating your thread. It tells me that test9251 down-voted your topic for some reason.
Ahh OK. I see the top left shows -1 and shows thats made up of +2 and -3. I don't see who did the vote though? Also I can't imagine test9251 downvoting since they're the ones who brought up then point that others are doing so?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)