Personal Finance

I'm a student and got denied from BMO,MBNA,CITI,PC...

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2007 11:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19166 posts
476 upvotes
Shanghai, China
gman wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2007 7:39 pm
Are you saying if OP gives his SIN to the CC, they will approve him a credit card? I don't think so. I would say if he can't get the CC from CC company A, he can't regardless if he provided a SIN or not. What I am trying to say is providing a SIN will not make your life any easier at all. It is indifference in the CC approval.
That is not my point. I just don't see why he is being so paranoid about giving his SIN to the bank or any other institutions. It's like as if he has something to hide from it.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2007 9:16 pm
That is not my point. I just don't see why he is being so paranoid about giving his SIN to the bank or any other institutions. It's like as if he has something to hide from it.
Because he is supposed to and is advised to safe guard it (or be paranoid about it) by our government. Giving SIN to open a bank account is one thing and you have to do that by law. Giving SIN to get a CC is something else. I only provide SIN if the law says so.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Banned
Apr 13, 2007
373 posts
hey,

I had trouble applying at PC financial, TD, CIBC for a student credit card and non student credit cards, but when i applied for BMO mosaik 3 weeks ago and i got accepted within a week and a half with out any credit history and so forth. i should be receive my card sometime this week with a $1,000 spending limit. By the way this Wednesday coming up is going to be my first year in university.
Sep 9, 2005
734 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2007 7:28 pm
I don't want to take a shot at the OP, but it seems unwarranted to be so paranoid when it comes to giving your SIN to the bank. It's not likely the bank (I'm talking about the "big four") will sell your personal information to third-parties as the law is quite strict on that. It just doesn't make much sense as you're making your life a lot harder by being so stubborn.
You're right, the big banks are likely not going to use your SIN in an undesirable manner, but that's little comfort to the tens of thousands (or is it into the 100's of thousands now) of CIBC and other bank customers whose records were hacked, on lost hard drives or mistakenly left on obsolete computers sold to third parties.

I applaud the OP for his smarts at such a young age. The fewer places who have a record of your SIN, the less likely someone you DON'T want to have it, will get their hands on it.

Most banks have a student credit card product, which is for just this scenario, students with little or no credit history. Providing his SIN when applying, is not going to improve his chances of anything except maybe identity theft.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 10, 2007
70 posts
[QUOTE]You're right, the big banks are likely not going to use your SIN in an undesirable manner, but that's little comfort to the tens of thousands (or is it into the 100's of thousands now) of CIBC and other bank customers whose records were hacked, on lost hard drives or mistakenly left on obsolete computers sold to third parties.

I applaud the OP for his smarts at such a young age. The fewer places who have a record of your SIN, the less likely someone you DON'T want to have it, will get their hands on it.

Most banks have a student credit card product, which is for just this scenario, students with little or no credit history. Providing his SIN when applying, is not going to improve his chances of anything except maybe identity theft.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I had in mind :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8315 posts
1282 upvotes
I have a SIN and a SSN!

SIN is really just used to sort you out from everyone else at the credit bureau. It's not absolutely necessary, but it certainly helps if you have a common name or have a new address.