• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2014 9:26 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
^Scorpionsy, thanks for taking the time to explain it. :)

I found a little more here for those interested.

INTERSTELLAR TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

INTERSTELLAR was shot using a combination of 35mm anamorphic film and 65mm 15 perf IMAX FILM. When presented on 70mm IMAX, the sequences shot on IMAX are printed full quality in their native format- the highest quality imaging format ever devised, offering almost ten times the resolution of standard formats, and filling the giant IMAX screens from top to bottom. The 35mm anamorphic sequences have been blown up to fill the IMAX screen side-to-side using a 6k digital DMR process, the highest resolution processing ever used in a feature film presentation. The finished picture switches between the 2.40:1 and 1.43:1 aspect ratios at key dramatic moments in the film. This is combined with a specially made IMAX uncompressed sound mix for the most immersive presentation of the film.

The digital IMAX presentation has been created from 6 and 8k scans of the original film elements, graded specifically for the high contrast IMAX dual-projection system. When presented on digital IMAX, the sequences shot on IMAX will fill the IMAX screens from top to bottom and switch from 2.40:1 to an aspect ratio of up to 1.9:1. It will also carry the uncompressed IMAX sound mix of the film.

When presented on regular 70mm film, the IMAX sequences have been optically reduced to 70mm 5 perf film to produce a grain-free, ultra-high resolution image, cropped top and bottom to fill the wide screen. The 35mm anamorphic sections have been blown up optically. Both processes are photochemical, preserving the original analog color of the imagery and combined in a 2.2:1 widescreen presentation. The sound is carried on a separate Datasat disc to produce state-of-the-art 6-track digital sound.

The 35mm anamorphic prints have been made photochemically, preserving all the rich analog color and high resolution of the original 35mm anamorphic photography. This is combined with new 4k negatives produced from 8k scans of the IMAX original negatives, cropped top and bottom to create a seamless 2.40:1 scope image. The sound is coded on the prints in Dolby SRD for a 6-track digital playback experience in most theatres.

The digital presentation of INTERSTELLAR has been created from 4 and 8k scans of the photochemically- color graded film elements, fine-tuned in the digital realm to maximize the color and contrast attributes of digital projectors, and dust-busted to achieve the cleanest and most stable image presentation possible. The film was mastered in 4k for the highest digital resolution currently available.

The sound on INTERSTELLAR has been specially mixed to maximize the power of the low end frequencies in the main channels as well as in the sub woofer channel. This effect is present is in all available presentations of INTERSTELLAR, all of which have been designed to play back at the volume level designated by the industry at 7 on the Dolby cinema processor.

http://www.interstellarmovie.com/formats/
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
3164 posts
26403 upvotes
Toronto
I heard that all the GTA IMAX theatres will be showing the 70 mm version of the film for the entire run in IMAX (includes Colossus Vaughan).
Apr 21, 2013
185 posts
13 upvotes
Grimsby
gamer4ever wrote: Hi guys,

As you all know that Interstellar is coming out next month, and I've read on the main website that it's playing in 70mm in 2 theaters here in Ontario, Canada: 1) Scotiabank theater in Toronto, and 2) Coliseum in Mississauga. Which of the two is the better one? Both will be playing Interstellar in 70mm, but by better I mean, which of the 2 has the bigger screen size (length and width)?

Thank you.
Scorpionsy wrote: They are roughly the same size...but I personally think that Scotiabank IMAX is a little bit larger screen size wise...and that's the one I prefer to see IMAX movies on...REAL IMAX movies..not converted ones...meaning movies shot using IMAX cameras.

I am looking forward to seeing Interstellar in IMAX too.

Either or you can't go wrong. I have been to both locations many times as I watch a lot of IMAX movies. The seating size of Scoitabank is about twice the size of Coliseum. The screen at the Coliseum is about 65 feet wide but the seating area is smaller. Scotiabank is about 75 feet wide but the seats are twice as much. Both locations are classic purpose built locations similar to what IMAX Niagara is or what the former Ontario Place location was.

WHOEVER WATCHES the movie at Scotiabank Toronto, look way up as the new speaker mounts for the new updated IMAX sound system have been installed, there are four of them at the top of the ceiling, they are for the upcoming laser conversion.
Oct 20, 2014
33 posts
Hamilton, ON
@ThePage,

For the Scotiabank theatre, you said that screen is about 75 feet wide. How tall would you say it is? I heard the screens at Coliseum and Colossus are both 6 stories tall, so I'd assume the one at Scotiabank theatre is not any less than 6 stories/60 feet.
Apr 21, 2013
185 posts
13 upvotes
Grimsby
gamer4ever wrote: @ThePage,

For the Scotiabank theatre, you said that screen is about 75 feet wide. How tall would you say it is? I heard the screens at Coliseum and Colossus are both 6 stories tall, so I'd assume the one at Scotiabank theatre is not any less than 6 stories/60 feet.
I would say the screen is about 5 stories tall, maybe 6.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
3428 posts
89 upvotes
Your Mom
i enjoyed x-men better at colosus
more than spiderman at scotia

certainly wouldnt mind revisiting vaughn again
ive been to scotia many times its 1 of my fav theaters

but what makes colosus great is that only the movie enthusiast visit there
Oct 20, 2014
33 posts
Hamilton, ON
So I just saw Interstellar at Scotiabank Theatre, and I have a question-

I noticed that about half of the movie was not fully projected on the entire screen (a little bit of the portion from the top and bottom were left out), and the other half was projected on the entire screen. Is it that the IMAX sequences covered the entire screen and the rest didn't? Or is it due to another reason?
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
gamer4ever wrote: So I just saw Interstellar at Scotiabank Theatre, and I have a question-

I noticed that about half of the movie was not fully projected on the entire screen (a little bit of the portion from the top and bottom were left out), and the other half was projected on the entire screen. Is it that the IMAX sequences covered the entire screen and the rest didn't? Or is it due to another reason?
Yes, the full screen sequences are the IMAX camera shot scenes...everything else is not shot in IMAX (when the entire screen is not covered).

I saw it at the early show today at Scotiabank. It was good but has some confusing parts and unexplained parts that were rushed.

I give it a 7 out of 10. But it is NO "2001" beater that is for sure. I loved the Robot "TARS" the most with the way he operates and moves and his humor.

What did you think of it...and how did you like the Scotiabank IMAX auditorium? Did you sit the the last row L or which row/seat?
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Oct 20, 2014
33 posts
Hamilton, ON
Hi Scorpionsy,

I sat in the second last row right in the middle, K-20. The IMAX theatre was fantastic! Literally, the screen was twice the size of the digital one in Ancaster (nearby Hamilton). I think it was 55 feet tall, and 75 feet wide, while the Ancaster one is maximum 30 feet tall, and 60 feet wide...so huge difference definitely.

I actually REALLY liked the movie, but that's maybe because I'm a huge fan of the concepts in the movie, namely relativity, time, gravity, and dimensions. Yes, I do admit it was confusing, but that was only in the end. Everything made sense up until the end, where the "twist" changed our understanding of the entire movie. From what I could understand, the third act (especially near the end/the end) was- When Cooper gets trapped in the tesseract he is trapped inside a higher dimension (5th perhaps?) where time is not linear. That means he can see all of his past and current time in that one room through the bookshelf. Now, perhaps he can only see time in that one specific room, because of the whole "love" idea- due to his attachment with his daughter (thus seeing only her room). In the tesseract Cooper discovers that he indeed is the "ghost" of his daughter in the past. Proof of this is when Cooper knocks books off the shelf into her room (gravity can somehow travel?); examples would be the "STAY" message he tried to send to himself, and the whole NASA coordinates thing. Cooper essentially sent himself the NASA coordinates. During this, we also realize (through Cooper and TARS conversation) that there must exist another future form of humanity, beyond Cooper in the tesseract, (5th dimesnion beings) who created the wormhole and tesseract for Cooper. So, there actually may be another "future" form of Cooper in that "future" humanity. The 5D beings/future humans have mastered the use of gravity and time and thus can change the past I believe. So they can actually contact the beings from the past (Cooper in the tesseract). So they created the wormhole and tesseract for Cooper, and in the tesseract Cooper can furthermore see more into the past. From future to past the sequence would be set as- 5D beings/humans, then Cooper in tesseract, and finally Cooper before going to the mission. So these future beings created the wormhole, and tesseract for Cooper, and using the tesseract Cooper was able to send information to his past self (NASA coordinates) in order to begin the mission. In the tesseract, not only can he send information to the past, but also to the present- which is seen by him sending information to his daughter (in present time) in order for her to complete the equation, which would allow humanity to travel to the new world (to survive). Cooper then leaves the blackhole, and is found somewhere near Saturn. Due to the "time slippage" in the blackhole, time for humans back on earth passed even more (his daughter went from 23 years old to old age). During this "time slippage" it can be inferred that his daughter used the information sent to her by Cooper (while in the blackhole) to finish the equation, and then humans found a way to travel to another world (haven't traveled yet though)- human advancement is seen by the space stations near Saturn. And finally, it is suggested that Edmunds planet, found by Brand, is the new world perhaps.

Now a paradox arises from all of this: So, if you think about it, the 5D beings/future humans created the wormhole and tesseract for Cooper, in order for Cooper to send information to his past self (NASA coordinates) and his daughter (information about equation) to ensure human survival. However, how were the 5D humans created in the first place? In order for the 5D humans to be created, they themselves had to travel through the wormhole into another galaxy/world. But, on the other hand, the 5D humans were the ones who created the wormhole. See the paradox? How can the 5D beings exist in the first place without a wormhole... yet they created the wormhole.

Another stupid thing is- why did the 5D humans need to even go back into the past to ensure human survival? I mean they (humans) already survived, lol. It's like saying I want to travel back into the past to ensure I was born... well I am already born, aren't I? Why the need to do something again that already happened...

Anyways that's what I thought of the end, but the one paradox (regarding wormholes) and the question (above) confuse me the most. I have read multiple theories of the end on the internet, but none of them seem to clear up the two problems.

What did you think of the end?
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
gamer4ever wrote: Hi Scorpionsy,

I sat in the second last row right in the middle, K-20. The IMAX theatre was fantastic! Literally, the screen was twice the size of the digital one in Ancaster (nearby Hamilton). I think it was 55 feet tall, and 75 feet wide, while the Ancaster one is maximum 30 feet tall, and 60 feet wide...so huge difference definitely.

I actually REALLY liked the movie, but that's maybe because I'm a huge fan of the concepts in the movie, namely relativity, time, gravity, and dimensions. Yes, I do admit it was confusing, but that was only in the end. Everything made sense up until the end, where the "twist" changed our understanding of the entire movie. From what I could understand, the third act (especially near the end/the end) was- When Cooper gets trapped in the tesseract he is trapped inside a higher dimension (5th perhaps?) where time is not linear. That means he can see all of his past and current time in that one room through the bookshelf. Now, perhaps he can only see time in that one specific room, because of the whole "love" idea- due to his attachment with his daughter (thus seeing only her room). In the tesseract Cooper discovers that he indeed is the "ghost" of his daughter in the past. Proof of this is when Cooper knocks books off the shelf into her room (gravity can somehow travel?); examples would be the "STAY" message he tried to send to himself, and the whole NASA coordinates thing. Cooper essentially sent himself the NASA coordinates. During this, we also realize (through Cooper and TARS conversation) that there must exist another future form of humanity, beyond Cooper in the tesseract, (5th dimesnion beings) who created the wormhole and tesseract for Cooper. So, there actually may be another "future" form of Cooper in that "future" humanity. The 5D beings/future humans have mastered the use of gravity and time and thus can change the past I believe. So they can actually contact the beings from the past (Cooper in the tesseract). So they created the wormhole and tesseract for Cooper, and in the tesseract Cooper can furthermore see more into the past. From future to past the sequence would be set as- 5D beings/humans, then Cooper in tesseract, and finally Cooper before going to the mission. So these future beings created the wormhole, and tesseract for Cooper, and using the tesseract Cooper was able to send information to his past self (NASA coordinates) in order to begin the mission. In the tesseract, not only can he send information to the past, but also to the present- which is seen by him sending information to his daughter (in present time) in order for her to complete the equation, which would allow humanity to travel to the new world (to survive). Cooper then leaves the blackhole, and is found somewhere near Saturn. Due to the "time slippage" in the blackhole, time for humans back on earth passed even more (his daughter went from 23 years old to old age). During this "time slippage" it can be inferred that his daughter used the information sent to her by Cooper (while in the blackhole) to finish the equation, and then humans found a way to travel to another world (haven't traveled yet though)- human advancement is seen by the space stations near Saturn. And finally, it is suggested that Edmunds planet, found by Brand, is the new world perhaps.

Now a paradox arises from all of this: So, if you think about it, the 5D beings/future humans created the wormhole and tesseract for Cooper, in order for Cooper to send information to his past self (NASA coordinates) and his daughter (information about equation) to ensure human survival. However, how were the 5D humans created in the first place? In order for the 5D humans to be created, they themselves had to travel through the wormhole into another galaxy/world. But, on the other hand, the 5D humans were the ones who created the wormhole. See the paradox? How can the 5D beings exist in the first place without a wormhole... yet they created the wormhole.

Another stupid thing is- why did the 5D humans need to even go back into the past to ensure human survival? I mean they (humans) already survived, lol. It's like saying I want to travel back into the past to ensure I was born... well I am already born, aren't I? Why the need to do something again that already happened...

Anyways that's what I thought of the end, but the one paradox (regarding wormholes) and the question (above) confuse me the most. I have read multiple theories of the end on the internet, but none of them seem to clear up the two problems.

What did you think of the end?
Glad you liked the IMAX at Scotiabank Theatre and the seat you selected to watch the movie in.

Very nice deep deconstruction of the movie. I was confused by similar parts too of the movie.

I think the end was confusing to most viewers because of the reasons you mentioned...it could have been explained a bit more instead of Nolan trying to pull a brain-twist like he did with "Inception" and let people guess or think what happened in the end. That was my main problem...the explanation of how the human race was saved was missing...and the open ending with Mann on the new-planet while using her robot to build a colony there.
Oct 20, 2014
33 posts
Hamilton, ON
So far I've only read one theory that does not arise any paradoxes such as the wormhole paradox, and justifies why the 5D humans traveled back in time to ensure human survival:

The theory basically is that Brand starts a new human race on the new planet (according to plan B), and these humans are the ones that grow up to be the 5D humans. The 5D humans are NOT the humans who survived earth's disaster, but are the newly created humans on the new planet (Edmund's planet). When these new humans grow up to be the 5D humans they seek to change the past to ensure survival of the human race (on earth). The 5D humans don't know if earth's population managed to survive, so they created the wormhole and tesseract for Cooper. And Cooper used the tesseract to send his past self the NASA coordinates in order to begin the mission for human survival, and also used the tesseract to send his daughter the required information to solve the equation (again important for human survival). Then as we know it, all the events took place- Cooper used the NASA coordinates that were sent to him by his past self to 1) Arrive at NASA, 2) Travel through the wormhole, 3) Explore the planets, and 4) Arrive in the tesseract. Then everything took place in the tesseract. After that, the tesseract was closed (by the 5D humans, as the mission was complete), and it was suggested that Edmund’s planet was the planet for the creation of new humans. Then we can assume the new humans (created on Edmund’s planet) grow up to be the 5D humans, and the grown up 5D humans changed the past to ensure the survival of the humans back on earth.

This theory makes the most sense, because the wormhole paradox is debunked. The paradox is not created in this theory, because the 5D humans are not from earth, but are from the new planet. Also, it is justified for why they changed the past- in order to ensure the survival of the humans back on earth.

What do you think of this theory?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3983 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
gamer4ever wrote: So far I've only read one theory that does not arise any paradoxes such as the wormhole paradox, and justifies why the 5D humans traveled back in time to ensure human survival:

The theory basically is that Brand starts a new human race on the new planet (according to plan B), and these humans are the ones that grow up to be the 5D humans. The 5D humans are NOT the humans who survived earth's disaster, but are the newly created humans on the new planet (Edmund's planet). When these new humans grow up to be the 5D humans they seek to change the past to ensure survival of the human race (on earth). The 5D humans don't know if earth's population managed to survive, so they created the wormhole and tesseract for Cooper. And Cooper used the tesseract to send his past self the NASA coordinates in order to begin the mission for human survival, and also used the tesseract to send his daughter the required information to solve the equation (again important for human survival). Then as we know it, all the events took place- Cooper used the NASA coordinates that were sent to him by his past self to 1) Arrive at NASA, 2) Travel through the wormhole, 3) Explore the planets, and 4) Arrive in the tesseract. Then everything took place in the tesseract. After that, the tesseract was closed (by the 5D humans, as the mission was complete), and it was suggested that Edmund’s planet was the planet for the creation of new humans. Then we can assume the new humans (created on Edmund’s planet) grow up to be the 5D humans, and the grown up 5D humans changed the past to ensure the survival of the humans back on earth.

This theory makes the most sense, because the wormhole paradox is debunked. The paradox is not created in this theory, because the 5D humans are not from earth, but are from the new planet. Also, it is justified for why they changed the past- in order to ensure the survival of the humans back on earth.

This is the theory I came up with as well. I may be remembering incorrectly to fit my theory, BUT to further support it, I think Nolan drops a hint when Brand exclaims that someone put/created the wormhole there. The twist would be that future 5D Brand, or maybe her ancestors put it there.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2007
5898 posts
2331 upvotes
Toronto
gamer4ever wrote: So far I've only read one theory that does not arise any paradoxes such as the wormhole paradox, and justifies why the 5D humans traveled back in time to ensure human survival:

So 5D humans can't know if the human population survived but they can build a wormhole and a tesseract, L O L ?
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto

Yes, I like this theory a lot more....because it does make the most sense out of all the confusion caused by the wormhole paradox.
Oct 20, 2014
33 posts
Hamilton, ON
Scorpionsy wrote: Yes, I like this theory a lot more....because it does make the most sense out of all the confusion caused by the wormhole paradox.
Strangely, I just noticed the wormhole paradox in that theory as well. Yes, the theory shows that the 5D humans are created on the new planet, and thus a wormhole is not needed for them to be created (as no one is travelling from earth; they are being created on the new planet), which means they indeed created the wormhole (it was never created before). However the same paradox arises in this theory too, just in a different way:

How were the 5D humans created? Through the human samples (fertilized human embryos). How did the samples get to the planet? Through the wormhole.

See the paradox above? Yes, the 5D humans were created on the new planet, but how did the samples (that were used to create them) get to the new planet (supposedly Edmund's planet) in the first place? Well, it'd make sense a human brought the samples over to the new planet. How would that be possible? Through a wormhole. This is even proven at the end of the movie; it is quite clear that Brand is the one whom creates the 5D humans on the new planet (using the samples). But how did Brand get to the new planet? Through the wormhole.

So we can see that the wormhole paradox still arises even in this theory: There is no way the 5D humans could have been created without the presence of a wormhole ... yet they were the ones who created the wormhole?

Any ideas about this?
Oct 20, 2014
33 posts
Hamilton, ON
Jonathan Nolan (Christopher Nolan's brother) actually explained some bits of the movie in an interview (written interview) here: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/11/08/j ... r-spoilers

In one part of the interview Jonathan Nolan talks about the end, and you won't believe what he says. He says that the wormhole disappears at the end of Cooper's journey. So once Cooper's mission is done, the wormhole is completely gone (it closes). That doesn't make any sense at all. I mean Cooper goes into the blackhole, then into the tesseract, and in the tesseract he transfers information to his daughter through the watch. After this Cooper leaves the blackhole, and travels through the wormhole back to our galaxy near saturn (thus he leaves the other galaxy). Then, back in our galaxy, he finds himself in a space station; this implies that once Cooper sent the information to his daughter in the blackhole, she used that information to advance humans to this point in time. So humans used that information to arrive this far, and so there next step will be to travel through the wormhole into the other galaxy (where Edmund's planet is and the rest). However, Jonathan Nolan says that the wormhole is gone by the end of Cooper's journey. So, at the end, once Cooper is back in our galaxy (at the space station) the wormhole is gone.

How will humanity survive then, if there is no wormhole for them to travel through to the new galaxy? How will Cooper go back to Brand at Edmund's planet (which he intends to do at the end)?

What do you guys think of this whole thing? I seem to be lost now, especially after the whole "wormhole disappearing" thing.
Oct 25, 2012
184 posts
60 upvotes
OSHAWA

How did Dr. Brand and her future humans go through the wormhole in the first place if the future humans are required to open the wormhole? It's an unsolvable predestination paradox no matter how you look at it.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1974 posts
216 upvotes
BatmanRFD wrote: How did Dr. Brand and her future humans go through the wormhole in the first place if the future humans are required to open the wormhole? It's an unsolvable predestination paradox no matter how you look at it.
The secret is revealed by Christopher Nolan in this recent interview in The Guardian:

“What I’ve found is, people who let my films wash over them – who don’t treat it like a crossword puzzle, or like there is a test afterwards – they get the most out of the film.”

When you go to a Nolan film, just remember - turn off your brain first!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)