None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario

IMEI blacklisting?

I've been helping a couple of friends buy a used smartphone but I'm weary if they are stolen or subsidized and have a lien.
Is there any truth a lien'd cell's IMEI will be blacklisted if the user is delinquent on his/her contractual payments? How about if they are stolen from the store? I'm assuming many of these sealed boxes are HUPs, but you never know, and it's not like you can pop a SIM in them to test.
In the past stolen cells off users are not blacklisted because carriers can still profit from them, they'll just suspend the user's account so no new charges accumulate. And users who are delinquent, the same, the account is suspended and interest accumulates but the phone is left alone.

What is the current status quo on this? Anybody know?

1. Stolen phone from user = ?
2. Stolen phone from store = ?
3. Subsidized phone sold to new owner = ?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1269 posts
153 upvotes
*FOR GSM HANDSETS ONLY* CDMA all get banned in this case

Stolen user - you can still use it, user can call in, but the network will only kill the SIM card
From store - rendered 100% useless if reported by store the phone is blocked out of the GLOBAL GSM networks, blacklisted IMEI
Subsidized - your fine, the contract is tied to the SIM card, NOT the handset.

Trust me on these things, spent 1.5 years working for Rogers/Fido & re-sell phones myself all the time, and up to date have went thru ~25 phones in a year and a half. :-0 Yes, i have a problem! lol
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
ask to test the phone first? bring an active sim card, and pop it in the phone and make sure it works before you buy it. Or ask the person if they can keep their sim card in the phone and test it.

I've sold a few phones and I just offered to show them that the phone was working, couldn't remember if I had my sim card in them or not, but would not think twice about popping one in and showing them.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
mmagda wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 12:56 am
From store - rendered 100% useless if reported by store the phone is blocked out of the GLOBAL GSM networks, blacklisted IMEI
Partially true my friend.
It's not global ban. It's only provider ban.
Maybe..just maybe it could be country-wide ban...so a Rogers phone stolen from store wouldn't work on any GSM and 3G providers like Bell and Telus, but it's definetely not global.
There's no worldwide database of stolen IMEI's. Not to mention a random GSM provider in Idontknowwhere, Madagascar isn't going to give a damn about IMEI from far Canada.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks for the replies.
So there is a slim but possibility a sealed box could be an employee theft or however obtained "store-stolen", and IMEI blacklisted? Whereas a fully functional SIM tested open box to be future IMEI trouble-free?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1269 posts
153 upvotes
Lulz wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 3:02 am
Partially true my friend.
It's not global ban. It's only provider ban.
Maybe..just maybe it could be country-wide ban...so a Rogers phone stolen from store wouldn't work on any GSM and 3G providers like Bell and Telus, but it's definetely not global.
There's no worldwide database of stolen IMEI's. Not to mention a random GSM provider in Idontknowwhere, Madagascar isn't going to give a damn about IMEI from far Canada.
Hi!

Fail.
What this new system basically does is it registers all stolen phones and its unique IMEI number to an international database which will then block the said phone from being used, not only on Rogers and Fido but importantly, on 40 GSM networks across the globe.With this new theft deterrent system in effect, would-be thieves who are planning to make a go at Rogers/Fido inventory will now think twice before they put into action their plans as the mobile phones they’ll be stealing will be rendered useless in most countries, especially in Canada to say the least.
**This has been active as of March, 2009.

Moar: http://www.cellphones.ca/news/post005235/

Cheers :)
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1216 posts
46 upvotes
Montreal
Fido/Rogers don't blacklist the IMEI unless the phone was lost or stolen from them.

From them, I mean if the phone was stolen from there store or from UPS or if someone frauds an account then buys iPhone for exemple.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario
So a phone obtained legitimately through HUP and tied to the seller's contract cannot be blacklisted later if he/she defaults payment?
Nor can the seller call in later to ban the IMEI?
Jun 23, 2008
336 posts
5 upvotes
zoolander wrote:
Feb 7th, 2010 11:57 pm
So a phone obtained legitimately through HUP and tied to the seller's contract cannot be blacklisted later if he/she defaults payment?
I always thought stolen BlackBerry's get 100% banned regardless of where it's stolen/lost from.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1216 posts
46 upvotes
Montreal
zoolander wrote:
Feb 7th, 2010 11:57 pm
Nah they don't care. The way they see it is that a new customer will bring them more money. Plus I guest also the value of phone decrease so quickly unlike a Videotron Digital Cable receiver which Videotron won't activate if the previous owner didn't pay his stuff correctly.

For a Blackberry, technically it is easily possible to get a PIN suspended.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario
darkman007e wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 10:56 pm
Nah they don't care. The way they see it is that a new customer will bring them more money. Plus I guest also the value of phone decrease so quickly unlike a Videotron Digital Cable receiver which Videotron won't activate if the previous owner didn't pay his stuff correctly.

For a Blackberry, technically it is easily possible to get a PIN suspended.
Could it suddenly become blocked and how?
If so, is there a way to reinstate a PIN?
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1216 posts
46 upvotes
Montreal
zoolander wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 11:13 pm
Could it suddenly become blocked and how?
If so, is there a way to reinstate a PIN?
Technically the Wireless Carrier can suspend the BIS account when the phone was lost from RIM Provisioning website.

I'm not 100% sure to block the PIN but it must be something that RIM can do. Now off course does Fido/Rogers go that far, I highly doubt they care.
Oct 13, 2009
7 posts
vancouver
icantread wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 12:56 am
I always thought stolen BlackBerry's get 100% banned regardless of where it's stolen/lost from.
thats what i thought. so if someone found a blackberry on the street then they can use it with all teh bb features such as bbm, email, etc etc?
Jul 5, 2010
1 posts
Canada
darkman007e wrote:
Feb 5th, 2010 1:48 pm
Fido/Rogers don't blacklist the IMEI unless the phone was lost or stolen from them.

From them, I mean if the phone was stolen from there store or from UPS or if someone frauds an account then buys iPhone for exemple.
I recently lost my phone and the representative at Rogers has told me that my phone has been automatically blacklisted by their security & fraud department when I reported it stolen/missing. To be honest, she sounded quite apathetic and I don't even know if it's true. Would they lie to their customers or does this system actually exist? She couldn't give me more information on them since she did not know but she stated that phones have turned up in the past and that this was the main reason (or it was returned to the police) that they have been redeemed.

Where can I get some legitimate information on this matter since a lot of people seem to "not know". Please reply to this post... anyone. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1216 posts
46 upvotes
Montreal
jmenez wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 11:37 am
I recently lost my phone and the representative at Rogers has told me that my phone has been automatically blacklisted by their security & fraud department when I reported it stolen/missing. To be honest, she sounded quite apathetic and I don't even know if it's true. Would they lie to their customers or does this system actually exist? She couldn't give me more information on them since she did not know but she stated that phones have turned up in the past and that this was the main reason (or it was returned to the police) that they have been redeemed.

Where can I get some legitimate information on this matter since a lot of people seem to "not know". Please reply to this post... anyone. Thanks.
That's the first time I hear it.

As far as I know, CSR don't have access to blacklisting IMEI. Anyway if it's true it's not the case with Fido.

And still for them, why blacklist an IMEI while the phone is already locked and they could get more money as someone will have a free phone.
× < >