IMO cellphone forum should be split into 2 parts phones and phone plans

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 9:55 am
[OP]
Feb 22, 2018
41 posts
6 upvotes

IMO cellphone forum should be split into 2 parts phones and phone plans

Just to double check, I'm not having a brain fart and missing it am I? I really hate having to dig to find any sort of deals on phone plans as it's super annoying. Is there any way I can suggest this to the mods?
Last edited by titaniumtux on Jun 14th, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title fix
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2662 posts
177 upvotes
Not a bad idea.

On the main Forums page, there's a section titled "Site Comments and Suggestions" where I would recommend sharing your idea.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2424 posts
885 upvotes
Everywhere
I'm on the fence about splitting it. What happens if it's for a plan plus a device?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
658 upvotes
NORTH YORK
JACliffe wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 4:49 pm
Just to double check, I'm not having a brain fart and missing it am I? I really hate having to dig to find any sort of deals on phone plans as it's super annoying. Is there any way I can suggest this to the mods?
I agree with you re your approach. In reality that is not going to work mainly because of a lot of market forces endeavouring that it be disallowed.
1. Force for mixing plans and phone - Apple being a main proponent against it . i.e. Apples has lined up with the carriers and ensure that people buying its phone do not get a decent (say 10-20%) discount for upfront payment. Android is slightly better but that only applies to lower end phones (not the flagships)
2. Carriers wants to create an atmostphere that buying phones on tab / subsidy is a great deal as if they run a charity (Yeah right). Time and time again I saw messages in here saying x tab or y tab are great deals to have (of course they do not mention the high monthly bills at all). Phone subsidy as a great marketing buzzword and consumers are gullible thinking that they be subsidized (again yeah right).
With all these forces in play, a lot of Canadians end up in a crazy situation similar to us buying a new car and entering into agreement only to buy certain gas at set amount fixed every month. And a lot of Canadians end up thinking that we are smarter than the others. Of course, Apples and the carriers want to cultivate that sort of atmosphere.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Feb 22, 2018
41 posts
6 upvotes
I would put that under plan since people not looking for a plan won't want it.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1042 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
Actually the best deals (of anything) are posted in Hot Deals forum. This forum (like most other forums) is more a discussion forum e.g. "should I get phone A or phone B if <factor> is more important ..."
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
May 8, 2009
6807 posts
2973 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
I'd rather see a separate sub-forum for tablets.

Realistically, it's mostly pointless to split the hardware and service threads into separate sub-forums. In our market, most Canadians get devices from their carrier(s). Even then, those who don't get their phones from carrier often discuss device compatibility with carriers here.

There are the odd discussions of using phones or tablets offline for dedicated purposes, but those threads still fit better under cellphones than computers. There are discussions on BYOD plans, but then there was the cookie-cutter example of those who jumped on the $60/10GB BYOD plan who now discuss where to get their $1k phones. Though they could discuss this under miscellaneous hardware shopping in computers (or a separate cellphone device sub-forum), they benefit from quickly finding other users in the same boat who have the same challenge.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9801 posts
14872 upvotes
Scarborough
Amourek wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:48 pm
I don't think this forum has enough threads to warrant another a split. Tags would be nice though.
I agree with you on that. Perhaps we can look into better labelling options as a solution.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)