Automotive

Importing JDM cars to Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2018 11:46 pm
[OP]
Aug 4, 2018
2 posts

Importing JDM cars to Canada

Hey guys not to sure who to ask but, recently thought of importing a 2001 Daihatsu Hijet from Japan. I do have a couple questions:

1. Would it be better to ship it to Toronto where i live or just drive it across Canada?

2. For Customs and importations, what are the associated duties that need to be paid?

Thanks in advanced.
6 replies
Apr 30, 2013
585 posts
280 upvotes
King City
I recall several companies sell these locally...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6948 posts
3098 upvotes
Kootenays
Joyful5oul wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 9:02 am
Hey guys not to sure who to ask but, recently thought of importing a 2001 Daihatsu Hijet from Japan. I do have a couple questions:

2. For Customs and importations, what are the associated duties that need to be paid?

Thanks in advanced.
HST + 6.1% IIRC.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3225 posts
1869 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I have imported a JDM Mitsubishi Evo 6 before and it was a painless situation.

In your case, I would ship it to Toronto just to save some mileage. Plus, you don't want to get unexpectedly stranded in the middle of Canada and waiting to overnight JDM parts in for repairs.

I'm in BC, so I paid GST+PST+6.1%. Yours probably be HST + 6.1% like what smacd said.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
[OP]
Aug 4, 2018
2 posts
freeforall wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 10:15 pm
I recall several companies sell these locally...
DO you know any off the top of your head?
smacd wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 12:16 am

HST + 6.1% IIRC.
Thanks!
bomber17 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 7:55 pm
I have imported a JDM Mitsubishi Evo 6 before and it was a painless situation.

In your case, I would ship it to Toronto just to save some mileage. Plus, you don't want to get unexpectedly stranded in the middle of Canada and waiting to overnight JDM parts in for repairs.

I'm in BC, so I paid GST+PST+6.1%. Yours probably be HST + 6.1% like what smacd said.
I see, it's only done 13k but i don't know how long it's been sitting for obviously. People are saying atleast 1k to ship it over by rail.
Would the tax be just on the FOB price of the vehicle?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3225 posts
1869 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Joyful5oul wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 10:57 am
I see, it's only done 13k but i don't know how long it's been sitting for obviously. People are saying atleast 1k to ship it over by rail.
Would the tax be just on the FOB price of the vehicle?
Yep, tax on FOB price of the vehicle. If you imported any parts as well they may tax on it too.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8937 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto
before buying. make sure your insurance company willing to take this car if its right hand side drive.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."