Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Importing Kayaks from China to Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2017 2:25 pm
[OP]
May 17, 2017
6 posts

Importing Kayaks from China to Toronto

I have a company all set with specifications etc. and ready to ship me two kayaks and gear for personal use (right now but I hope to commercialize this in the future) . They have the shipping etc all set up but I am having trouble finding info on the process at my end. I assume I can simply go to the port of Toronto when they arrive and pick them up, (Where?) pay the duty and tax ( to who?) and any storage fees (anyone know how much per day the storage fees would be?) , and then be on my way to my kayak trip. Any first hand knowledge of the import process for non-commercial, personal use items would be of great help.
11 replies
Dec 15, 2015
80 posts
31 upvotes
RH, ON
May be best to hire a broker or broker consultant for the first time?

logistics solutions or something like that rings a bell.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2015
574 posts
202 upvotes
really?? foreign ships can just show up here at port toronto?? way to smuggle stuff...
[OP]
May 17, 2017
6 posts
Redsanta wrote:
May 18th, 2017 8:29 pm
really?? foreign ships can just show up here at port toronto?? way to smuggle stuff...
I assume so. Why not? They can arrive in any other port in Canada. I am not sure, though, that is what I am checking on with the seller. They may arrive by truck or train, but as far as I know they can arrive by boat.
[OP]
May 17, 2017
6 posts
It is confirmed. 45 days to ship from Ningbo, China to Toronto, Canada. No trucks or trains involved. Thank you for suggesting the brokerage. I found out it is not so expensive, even for small orders. That is definitely the way to go.
[OP]
May 17, 2017
6 posts
Actually, there is some discrepancy. The seller says 20 days from Ningbo to Toronto. The customs broker says 45.
Aug 5, 2012
195 posts
82 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Most likely they will arrive to Toronto via Vancouver, then you pick them up at a warehouse somewhere in Mississauga and it will take longer than 20 days. Arrival time will vary. Once they shipped the goods, they should provide you a bill of lading or some sort of shipping document. The document should has a Canadian contact where you can inquire the shipment status and document needed before they can release the shipment to you. For commercial goods, the process is little different.
Dec 15, 2015
80 posts
31 upvotes
RH, ON
Boballoo wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:25 am
Actually, there is some discrepancy. The seller says 20 days from Ningbo to Toronto. The customs broker says 45.
It will likely land in the country within 20 days but by the time its unloaded and clears customs and it's ready for you will be another week or two days.
Jul 8, 2008
15 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
If you ship a small parcel, it's probably in LCL (less than full container). So it's coming in with a batch of other stuff. They need to get the container into a warehouse, unpack and then arrange for you to come pick it up. So there's a bunch of stuff that happens after the ship arrives before you can access your goods.
Get a broker is a good idea, otherwise, the wrong file with Canadian customs equates to lot of fines and paperwork and times in queue.
[OP]
May 17, 2017
6 posts
Thanks Vinko, that's good advice. I have a broker now and he is far more knowledgeable than the seller in China.
Apr 20, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
A tad late to the party but I'd recommend talking to the seller about CIF shipping
It stands for Cost Insurance Freight and basically guarantees you of the shipping and insurance cost up to your destination port.

Whenever I'm importing machinery I go through this method.
Granted it's not the cheapest option but it gives me peace of mind and I don't have to deal with all the paperwork myself. (seller chooses the insurance people and have them draw up paperwork and quotes)

The latest item I have shipped was a laser cutting machine the size of a car from Jinan (China) to Ottawa (Canada)
The process was this:
1. Asked seller for CIF to my nearest port (Montreal)
2. Seller provided me with the price of everything (Item, shipping, and insurance to port of Montreal)
3. I agree and wire the funds (Through direct bank transfer by going to my bank's branch - Any branch works)
4. Seller ships item from Jinan to QingDao (port of China) to Price Rupert (Canada), Item gets held at Canadian customs for inspection (yes they did open and examine it , taking 3 days), then gets CN Railed to Montreal, takes 1 day to get placed in the local warehouse, go to broker to pay fees and get receipt, go to Canadian customs in montreal (cool place btw, minus the fact that you are there to pay fees), fill out the form and pay (value of goods, HS code, etc), take that receipt and go to warehouse, pay warehouse fees for storage (yeah a whole lot of hidden fees each warehouse is different and since it's CIF, seller's broker will arrange this, you need to ask seller for broker info to ask questions for pricing), then I picked it up via a truck and drove it to Ottawa (YAY!)
[OP]
May 17, 2017
6 posts
Thank you for that wifitester. That's great information and it will come in handy next year when I am on the west coast. The plan this year was scuttled by the Canadian Ministry of Transport which does not allow the import of a trailer from any country other than US. I had a company in China already drew up plans for my perfect trailer that would carry up to 26 touring kayaks. The MoT said trailers and cars etc from other countries are not built to the same standard as is required here in Canada, which might be an understandable regulation except that I started looking for a trailer on kijiji and ebay etc and found dozens of pretty much homemade or modified trailers with lights hanging by ropes etc. etc. But of course there is no winning that fight. So, I have arranged for a company in Vancouver to build me a trailer and will import the kayaks next spring through the west coast port. Your information will be useful then, wifitester. Thank you everyone for all your help. Such a pleasure to have so many sincere responses to my request for help.