Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Importing Kayaks from China to Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 8:19 am
[OP]
May 17, 2017
4 posts

Importing Kayaks from China to Toronto

I have a company all set with specifications etc. and ready to ship me two kayaks and gear for personal use (right now but I hope to commercialize this in the future) . They have the shipping etc all set up but I am having trouble finding info on the process at my end. I assume I can simply go to the port of Toronto when they arrive and pick them up, (Where?) pay the duty and tax ( to who?) and any storage fees (anyone know how much per day the storage fees would be?) , and then be on my way to my kayak trip. Any first hand knowledge of the import process for non-commercial, personal use items would be of great help.
7 replies
Dec 15, 2015
50 posts
11 upvotes
RH, ON
May be best to hire a broker or broker consultant for the first time?

logistics solutions or something like that rings a bell.
Dec 16, 2015
551 posts
192 upvotes
really?? foreign ships can just show up here at port toronto?? way to smuggle stuff...
[OP]
May 17, 2017
4 posts
Redsanta wrote:
May 18th, 2017 8:29 pm
really?? foreign ships can just show up here at port toronto?? way to smuggle stuff...
I assume so. Why not? They can arrive in any other port in Canada. I am not sure, though, that is what I am checking on with the seller. They may arrive by truck or train, but as far as I know they can arrive by boat.
[OP]
May 17, 2017
4 posts
It is confirmed. 45 days to ship from Ningbo, China to Toronto, Canada. No trucks or trains involved. Thank you for suggesting the brokerage. I found out it is not so expensive, even for small orders. That is definitely the way to go.
[OP]
May 17, 2017
4 posts
Actually, there is some discrepancy. The seller says 20 days from Ningbo to Toronto. The customs broker says 45.
Aug 5, 2012
189 posts
80 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Most likely they will arrive to Toronto via Vancouver, then you pick them up at a warehouse somewhere in Mississauga and it will take longer than 20 days. Arrival time will vary. Once they shipped the goods, they should provide you a bill of lading or some sort of shipping document. The document should has a Canadian contact where you can inquire the shipment status and document needed before they can release the shipment to you. For commercial goods, the process is little different.
Dec 15, 2015
50 posts
11 upvotes
RH, ON
Boballoo wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:25 am
Actually, there is some discrepancy. The seller says 20 days from Ningbo to Toronto. The customs broker says 45.
It will likely land in the country within 20 days but by the time its unloaded and clears customs and it's ready for you will be another week or two days.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel