• Sep 13th, 2017 4:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2689 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto

Importing SMS/MMS into Android Messages

Just got a new phone and I'm trying to import my texts into Android Messages (the made by Google texting app) . This is my first time doing this since Android Messages didn't exist the last time I switched devices.

So, I used SMS Backup and Restore to export and import the sms. Every other app seems to see the messages except Android Messages which shows a blank list.

Googling this issue comes up with a bunch of old generic nonsense not specific to the Android Messages app. Anyone have any ideas?
4 replies
Aug 23, 2017
77 posts
20 upvotes
Would be interested in knowing the answer. Currently using the same App to back up messages. But didn't have a req to import as yet.
May 8, 2009
1781 posts
479 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Strange. I use sms backup+. Never had an issue, but to be fair, I never "restore" sms. Just keep them indexed in my Gmail account.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7461 posts
2411 upvotes
ON
Try deleting the android messages app and reinstalling after the restore has taken place. It should share the universal MMS database on the phone.

Can also try a manual overwrite.

When connected to old phone:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db c:\mmssms_backup.db

Connected to new phone, reverse it to an ADB push
adb push c:\mmssms_backup.db /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db

Note this will overwrite the current db on the phone so you'd only have texts from the old phone.
If you need them merged you'd need to find an app for that or have some SQL knowledge.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Hello- wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:17 am
Just got a new phone and I'm trying to import my texts into Android Messages (the made by Google texting app) . This is my first time doing this since Android Messages didn't exist the last time I switched devices.

So, I used SMS Backup and Restore to export and import the sms. Every other app seems to see the messages except Android Messages which shows a blank list.

Googling this issue comes up with a bunch of old generic nonsense not specific to the Android Messages app. Anyone have any ideas?
This is not going to help you now. But it does if you start afresh with a new phone (and a new SMS app that allows you full blown record)
Get a new Textmeup (VOIP app) in Google Play , get a free Canadian #, start texting right away and receiving free incoming call. Outgoing call costs 2 cents a minute almost worldwide.
All your SMS contacts and conversations will be on your desktop (via a browser accessing textmeup.com ) with zero advertisement.
Say you text on your cell and in a few days you need to look at what they were. You can easily have everything on the desktop(Windows/Linux/wherever there is a browser)
And you can use your full blown keyboard (plus copy and paste) to type out SMS . Your buddies will be shocked by the length (and lack of spelling mistake) of your SMS
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call