Automotive

importing a used car from Ontario to Quebec?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2019 11:21 am
Jan 2, 2012
74 posts
32 upvotes

importing a used car from Ontario to Quebec?

I know it needs to pass SAAQ safety inspection in QC but how do I bring it to SAAQ if it's not plated? Also, once we negotiate a deal, at which point do I actually pay the seller? I've been reading about Used Vehicle Information Package (UVIP). Do I need this if I'm from Quebec? Can anyone tell me chronologically what the steps are?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
You're not "importing" from Ontario (there is no actual import process), you are simply purchasing a vehicle in another province. Based on your questions, I'm assuming you are buying privately, it might be different if you are buying used from an Ontario dealer.

I don't live in Quebec but can point you in the direction for you to do your own research; As far as the bringing it for a safety inspection, does SAAQ allow you to get temporary permits for vehicles (either purchased in QC or elsewhere). If it does, get one, otherwise, you'll either have to get the previous owner to drive there while they still have their plates and insurance on it. Otherwise, you have to get it towed there. As far as the payment, most sellers will insist that you pay in full when you take possession. That said, if you only want to buy it under the condition that it passes the SAAQ inspection, you might be able to get the seller to bring it to the inspection centre to have the inspection done (at your cost) before you buy. (You might also have to compensate the seller for his time and trouble). Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the UVIP is only required if you are registering the vehicle in Ontario (although it's not a bad idea to get it as it's probably the only way to know if there's an outstanding lien on the vehicle).
Jan 8, 2015
450 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
I tookover a lease from ON when living in QC. The process i went through
Went to ON on a friday. Went to dealership, signed the paperwork. They didnt know i was coming that day since i didnt "confirm" so they didnt get me my temp plates. So i went to service ontario with the paperwork and got temp plates. Drove back to QC. Got a safety from a Mazda Dealership. Went to SAAQ with the paperwork and it was done.
6 months later I moved to ON....
Jul 12, 2013
275 posts
184 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…
sebakaa wrote: I tookover a lease from ON when living in QC. The process i went through
Went to ON on a friday. Went to dealership, signed the paperwork. They didnt know i was coming that day since i didnt "confirm" so they didnt get me my temp plates. So i went to service ontario with the paperwork and got temp plates. Drove back to QC. Got a safety from a Mazda Dealership. Went to SAAQ with the paperwork and it was done.
6 months later I moved to ON....
+1 sebakaa is correct. You'll need/get a temporary plate from Ontario so you can drive it back. Then you go to get inspection report and register the car in Quebec and get Quebec plate. Make sure you stay in good contact with seller (dealer) because you may need their help getting documents needed (if any missing). I went through a dealer but still had some back and forth on documents... I had to go back 3 times.

Hopefully this helps: https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/vehicle-regi ... de-quebec/