• Jul 30th, 2018 1:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2912 posts
559 upvotes
Vaughan

Importing used wheels from usa to Canada

Hi I'm considering buying used wheels from the usa. Are there any custom fees/taxes for used wheels/rims. I know on new wheels I'd probably have to pay some extra taxes, but not sure about used.

Thanks.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5894 posts
1552 upvotes
BC
New or used, both are subject to HST and duty (depending on country of manufacture).

You have the same chance of being sent in to pay as if they were new. So have your receipt ready.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2912 posts
559 upvotes
Vaughan
macnut wrote:
Jul 29th, 2018 3:46 pm
New or used, both are subject to HST and duty (depending on country of manufacture).

You have the same chance of being sent in to pay as if they were new. So have your receipt ready.
Thanks, wheels are originally made in Japan.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2912 posts
559 upvotes
Vaughan
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 12:36 am
Take US price, add about 30% to US price, then take this amount and multiply by 13%. This is what you should pay. Since they are made in Japan you should be exempt from the tariffs that came into effect on July 1 on steel and aluminum. OTOH, they could add a 5% (???) duty since it comes from a country outside NAFTA. Usually they don't bother and are just happy to charge you 13%.
You say 30%, do you mean to compensate for the exchange rate? Or are you referring to something else?
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2912 posts
559 upvotes
Vaughan
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 6:56 am
Yes, the roughly 30% is to compensate for the exchange rate. And make sure it says Made in Japan on the wheels otherwise they will slapped with the 25% tariff introduced on July 1. The border agents have been told to be more strict, they don't have a choice.
Thanks for all the info.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment