• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2019 11:05 am
[OP]
Jul 29, 2007
162 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto

Impossible connecting flights

I booked Hong Kong to Toronto flights with connection in Beijing and just recently realized that the connecting flights are in different terminals. Checked with the Beijing airport and they basically said you have to pick up luggage, go through customs and immigration, check in again and go through security again, and that the 2 hours I have is not going to be enough. The flights are with China Southern (HKG to PEK) and Air Canada (PEK to YYZ) and was booked through Flight Network (linked from Google Flights). Can I get them to change the flights based on them selling me a connection that is not even possible? Nowhere in the booking process did it mention there is a terminal change.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3669 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
AC and CZ are in different alliances, so it seems unusual that they are on the same itinerary (unless they have a separate interline agreement?)
Did you get 1 booking reference or 2? If you enter the reference on Air Canada website, do you see the CZ flight, and vice versa?
[OP]
Jul 29, 2007
162 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 1:06 pm
call them and ask
Will do tonight. Just wanted to see if anyone has ever run into this situation.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2007
162 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
twotterdhc6 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 1:51 pm
AC and CZ are in different alliances, so it seems unusual that they are on the same itinerary (unless they have a separate interline agreement?)
Did you get 1 booking reference or 2? If you enter the reference on Air Canada website, do you see the CZ flight, and vice versa?
There's two reference numbers.
The AC reference number does not bring up the CZ flight.
The CZ reference number is not bringing up anything at all right now. Site just gives me errors.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3669 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
goo421 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 2:03 pm
The CZ reference number is not bringing up anything at all right now. Site just gives me errors.
So they are very likely 2 separate tickets. You will have to persuade Flight Network to change one of the flights for you.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2007
162 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
twotterdhc6 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 2:15 pm
So they are very likely 2 separate tickets. You will have to persuade Flight Network to change one of the flights for you.
But but they were under one eticket?
Regardless...will call tonight and see what they say.
Thank you!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1777 posts
902 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
goo421 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 2:33 pm
But but they were under one eticket?
Regardless...will call tonight and see what they say.
Thank you!
I know you mentioned Google Flights but they link to either an airline or 3rd party site.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7478 posts
1646 upvotes
Mississauga
That is one reason to book directly with the airline.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13454 posts
2911 upvotes
London
I though in google flights has the option to pick an itinerary based on separate tickets or under one ticket?

(Edit.... under “more”, check box for “show or hide separate tickets”)
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4667 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
I've had a few 2 hour connections in PEK before - never had any issues. Also in different terminals. I would not stress.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7934 posts
2253 upvotes
Toronto
Two hours should be fine. But before you pay, you would've had the chance to check everything. If you didn't like it, that's the time to change.

Also no problem to book through 3rd party (not directly with airlines), if you can get deals/points. We had TD 1st class visa and booked with expediaforTD to get 4.5% back.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2007
162 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 3:27 pm
I though in google flights has the option to pick an itinerary based on separate tickets or under one ticket?

(Edit.... under “more”, check box for “show or hide separate tickets”)
I did not book the tickets separately. Unless Flight Network booked it separately behind the scenes.
But like I mentioned, I was only issued a single eticket.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3669 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
Turns out Air Canada does have an interline agreement with China Southern, according to their website, so it's more likely you have a single ticket after all.
Do let us know the result of your call.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2007
162 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
goo421 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 2:03 pm
Not sure if I was just blind yesterday or something, but when I checked the AC reference number again just now, it did bring up the CZ flight.

Called Flight Network but the guy said their scheduling team will call me back within 48 hours. Will update when I hear back.