• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2019 4:48 pm
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
244 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto

Impossible to contact Aeroplan

I redeemed a lot of Aeroplan points for gift cards, but some still haven't arrived in 1.5 months. I'd like to contact Aeroplan about a points refund (they previously confirmed I'll get my points back), or for them to send the cards again, but haven't been able to speak to an agent since last Sunday, because their calling system is absurdly bad. They don't even bother putting you on hold, literally if there are any callers before you, it'll say "we're experiencing high volume of calls" and immediately drop the line, and it's been repeating that message no matter what time of day it is, since Sunday. Today the automated message adds the line "we're experiencing website difficulties so please stay on the line for an agent to help you", then what does it do right after that? Drop the line, LOL.

Since I'm actually not able to do anything on their website related to this issue, what can I do? Just keep trying like 50 times everyday until someone decides to pick up the phone...?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5697 posts
796 upvotes
I tried once first thing in the morning and got right through. Another time I waited on hold for about 30ish minutes. They did admit that it is sometimes hard to get through. I just put the phone on speaker and kept doing what I was doing as I waited.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
244 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
The problem is not about holding, I have no problem afking for an hour or something, it's about them dropping the line without even putting me on hold. I've even tried calling at 11pm EST and it still said "experiencing higher than usual call volume", LOL. I don't know if this company is just being stupid or have a major breakdown in their call centres.
Apr 7, 2008
80 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I'm having a dilemma with aeroplan now. There's no way to contact them, I called early morning, late at night, there's no way to talk to anyone. I was on hold for over 2 hrs and I just had to give up. I searched all over for an email to email them and there's nothing.
I booked my flights using my aeroplan points back in May for a trip next May, now they changed my flights and dates, which will mess up my schedule so I need to call them, but there's no one to talk to. This is my first time redeeming aeroplan points for flights so I'm really new at this, can they do this? I mean, can they just change your flight time and date? This is so frustrating.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1458 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Tammy101 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2019 1:10 pm
I'm having a dilemma with aeroplan now. There's no way to contact them, I called early morning, late at night, there's no way to talk to anyone. I was on hold for over 2 hrs and I just had to give up. I searched all over for an email to email them and there's nothing.
I booked my flights using my aeroplan points back in May for a trip next May, now they changed my flights and dates, which will mess up my schedule so I need to call them, but there's no one to talk to. This is my first time redeeming aeroplan points for flights so I'm really new at this, can they do this? I mean, can they just change your flight time and date? This is so frustrating.
Yeah flights change (usually its the airlines not aeroplan). Most of the time it's not a big deal because you can get through to them to fix it, but seems like they're having phone system issues.

Just keeping calling and if that still fails than reach out to them on social media (facebook/twitter) and emails, just keep trying until you get a hold of someone.
Apr 7, 2008
80 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Ecsta wrote:
Nov 8th, 2019 1:54 pm
Yeah flights change (usually its the airlines not aeroplan). Most of the time it's not a big deal because you can get through to them to fix it, but seems like they're having phone system issues.

Just keeping calling and if that still fails than reach out to them on social media (facebook/twitter) and emails, just keep trying until you get a hold of someone.
Thank you Ecsta. I will keep trying, they changed the dates that's why I'm concerned.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1458 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Tammy101 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2019 2:09 pm
Thank you Ecsta. I will keep trying, they changed the dates that's why I'm concerned.
It's a huge PITA when it happens so i sympathize. Also be sure to check if the aircraft has changed too to see if you need to pick better/different seats.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33660 posts
7641 upvotes
Ottawa
Tammy101 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2019 1:10 pm
Your fights are with the airline, not Aeroplan.
I have tickets for next April/May for Portugal/Spain return and have had numerous itinerary changes. On 2 of them there as not enough time between connecting flights and I called Air Canada ( even though the return flights were with an Air Alliance flight). No problems.
Booking so far in advance you are bound to get several (or more) itinerary changes.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
May 16, 2017
739 posts
744 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 8th, 2019 3:16 pm
I have tickets for next April/May for Portugal/Spain return and have had numerous itinerary changes. On 2 of them there as not enough time between connecting flights and I called Air Canada ( even though the return flights were with an Air Alliance flight). No problems.
Booking so far in advance you are bound to get several (or more) itinerary changes.
You were lucky getting AC to do any changes directly. Yes, Aeroplan issues tickets on AC "ticket stock", therefore AC agents can generally "see" the booking; however, except for day of travel (when the operating carrier takes over the responsibility) all changes should be done through Aeroplan and AC will typically enforce that as Aeroplan is the "agent" that booked the ticket.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33660 posts
7641 upvotes
Ottawa
robsaw wrote:
Nov 12th, 2019 12:43 am
You were lucky getting AC to do any changes directly. Yes, Aeroplan issues tickets on AC "ticket stock", therefore AC agents can generally "see" the booking; however, except for day of travel (when the operating carrier takes over the responsibility) all changes should be done through Aeroplan and AC will typically enforce that as Aeroplan is the "agent" that booked the ticket.
No lucky at all. I have used Aeroplan reward flights dozens of times over the decades and have always dealt with Air Canada for any changes or issues Never a problem.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Apr 7, 2008
80 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 8th, 2019 3:16 pm
Thank you Pete, I'll try to contact AC and see if they can do anything. The original flight I booked was with Brussels Airline coming back, now they changed it to Air Canada flight and changed the dates too, I'll try calling AC this week. Thanks again.