• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2008 3:28 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 18, 2005
525 posts
39 upvotes

Incoming Calls Ring Once, Then Disconnect

Why does my home phone ring only once when someone is trying to call me?then it disconnect itsef ,

This just happens to day. The caller hears the first ring, then silence. Eventually, the connection disconnects. However, Nothing wrong with outgoing calls. Everything is fine there, the line is connects. So it's just the actual ringing that's failing, not the connection itself.??

. We've never had any problems with it until recently, so something must have gone wrong.

Thanks for any advice.
8 replies
Oct 5, 2005
345 posts
1 upvote
We've had that happen a couple of times. It was doing it a couple of weeks ago, every incoming call. I unplugged all the phones and the de-marc jack, then plugged them all back in again, one at a time, and it worked. It could also have been a faulty phone cord. It happened a few years ago and I think I had to call Bell, I don't remember how it was fixed that time.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4014 posts
31 upvotes
Sound like like a short and you'll need to call Bell, but before you do you will want to try to verify that the problem is external. Unplug all phones, then only plug in one phone at the demarcation point of your house. If the calls come in without issue then one of your phones (or phone extension wires) is the problem. This assumes that no one has recently pulled a phone jack out of the wall - if they have, then you have a wiring problem. Once you have checked then the problem is likely external.

We had the same issue happen to us. Turned out to be the phone company's problem at the central office.

If Bell does need to come in and they find it to your fault, well... they charge you hourly for the repair.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
JetLe wrote:
Feb 5th, 2008 8:25 pm
Why does my home phone ring only once when someone is trying to call me?then it disconnect itsef ,

This just happens to day. The caller hears the first ring, then silence. Eventually, the connection disconnects. However, Nothing wrong with outgoing calls. Everything is fine there, the line is connects. So it's just the actual ringing that's failing, not the connection itself.??

We've never had any problems with it until recently, so something must have gone wrong.
Who is providing your phone service? Have you contacted them?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6907 posts
338 upvotes
Haunting? Whatever you do if it is a collect call from Heaven or Hell you may not want to accept it.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
9 upvotes
KELOWNA
Yes, call the phone company. I had the same issue only no incoming calls at all and it was a break in the outside line caused by it rubbing on a tree. They have equipment to check all your lines, inside and out to find the short.
Nov 24, 2004
944 posts
42 upvotes
Had the same problem here at work a couple months back. Basically there is a problem with the line. When the incoming call rings, the wires can't handle the current draw and disconnect the call. Definately you need to call the phone co to come fix the line.

CM
Jan 25, 2005
184 posts
Toronto, ON
I had same issue and it was faulty cable inside house.. Bell said if issue is inside the house I have to pay for them to come and fix it..
I have connected a phone to mail line and it was ok.. then I had to remove all phones and plug one by one and manged to find the one which was causing the issue.. wire short..
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
I had the same problem. Bell initially said it was a problem outside the house which they fixed. The problem continued and it turned out that one of my jacks that I don't use was shorted out.
× < >