• Oct 15th, 2017 10:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5431 posts
1232 upvotes

Inconsiderate Dog Owners

I am witness/watching one of my neighbours having a running battle with 2 inconsiderate dog owners on the street where I live.

The neighbour has a corner lot with a fenced in side-yard containing an in-ground pool.
The area of boulevard between the fence and the street is technically municipal property but the homeowner has been mowing the lawn and trimming as the Town used to come by once or twice a year to mow and it always looked unkempt until the latest homeowner moved in a few years ago.
There are 2 inconsiderate dog owners who consistently allow their dogs to defecate and urinate on that stretch of boulevard and fail to pick up afterwards.
The homeowner put up "Please have your dog perform its bodily functions elsewhere" signs on the street side of the fence.
Yesterday the homeowner confronted one of the inconsiderate dog owners about the fact that their dog's urine is killing the grass on the boulevard (the grass is full of brown areas consistent with being burned by dog urine).
Instead of the dog owner apologizing, I watched the dog owner tear a strip off the homeowner advising her that the boulevard is public property and her dog can "piss where ever the hell it wants to".
Needless to say the poor homeowner is quite upset.

Has anyone else dealt with this type of situation?
47 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2322 posts
518 upvotes
Newmarket
plymouthhater wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 11:12 am

Instead of the dog owner apologizing, I watched the dog owner tear a strip off the homeowner advising her that the boulevard is public property and her dog can "piss where ever the hell it wants to".
Next time don't just watch, help her out.
May 28, 2012
9394 posts
1757 upvotes
Saskatoon
It's probably not just these two dogs but if I were him, I would take the grass out and put something in place that wouldn't be affected by dog urine. I can empathize with the plight of this homeowner...we don't have any dogs but are picking up dog poo in our front yard a few times a year.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14083 posts
1495 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 11:22 am
It's probably not just these two dogs but if I were him, I would take the grass out and put something in place that wouldn't be affected by dog urine. I can empathize with the plight of this homeowner...we don't have any dogs but are picking up dog poo in our front yard a few times a year.
It's not his property though, it's the city's. It's just connected to his property.

OP, get one of the commercially available dog repellents. Your problem is not a unique one, and there are solutions for exactly this scenario out there. There are effective scent sprays you can apply to the grass to repel dogs (which you'll have to keep reapplying after it rains), ultrasonic emitters (which probably aren't effective) that say they keep dogs away, and motion-activated pop-up sprinklers you can use to keep animals away (but which will probably spray everyone who walks past too).

You could also just get your own dog that stays in your yard and picks a fight with any other dog that walks by through the fence.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Feb 20, 2017
175 posts
47 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 11:25 am
It's not his property though, it's the city's. It's just connected to his property.

OP, get one of the commercially available dog repellents. Your problem is not a unique one, and there are solutions for exactly this scenario out there. There are effective scent sprays you can apply to the grass to repel dogs (which you'll have to keep reapplying after it rains), ultrasonic emitters (which probably aren't effective) that say they keep dogs away, and motion-activated pop-up sprinklers you can use to keep animals away (but which will probably spray everyone who walks past too).

You could also just get your own dog that stays in your yard and picks a fight with any other dog that walks by through the fence.
The sprinkler method would be best who needs neighbours like that around anyways, glad I live in a nice peaceful area.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5431 posts
1232 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:

It's not my house - it belongs to a neighbour on the street.
She said she will be calling the municipal by-law office today to ask what avenues are open to her to stop this type of behaviour.
Even if the inconsiderate dog owners "stoop and scoop" the solid waste - the urine spray is killing the grass.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3438 posts
384 upvotes
Just childish behaviour on both sides here. However, the dog owner is right in that the land is owned by the city so that homeowner can't tell them not to pee there.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1188 posts
307 upvotes
Corner lots are magnets for dog owners taking their dogs for their "walk" - they round the corner and think they are suddenly invisible
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4440 posts
2068 upvotes
Edmonton
As others have said... It's public property, even if the property owner beside it is mowing the area (which is pretty standard, in my experience). If they don't like it, they can water the area to try to dilute the urine, or they can try spraying it with some form of deterrent to encourage the dogs to go somewhere else.

C
Dec 3, 2008
359 posts
37 upvotes
Hamilton
why cant the owners let the dogs shtt in their backyards?

ignorant people , if I had a dog ide follow them and let my dog shtt on their lawn./
kevv
Jan 15, 2017
518 posts
309 upvotes
It’s public property and your neighbour trying to control what goes on there with property they do not own is offensive. It’s one of the joys of owning a corner lot. In my neighbourhood, almost everyone who has purchased a corner lot has installed interlocking brick, trees and shrubs, some even sprinklers. All this on land they do not own. Last year we also had several put up signs and rope off the area. This just caused further stress in the neighbourhood.

The fact that your neighbour looks after the property does not grant them the right to determine how the property can be used. They can call bylaw when someone does not pick up after their dog. My advice is to let it go and learn not to sweat the small things.
Aug 30, 2017
32 posts
32 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
There are poop and scoop by-laws but I have never seen a "no urinating zone" for pets on public property. Despite the grass being affected, the neighbour doesn't own the property so they have no authority, aside from asking nicely, to alter other's behavior.

As has been mentioned, it's the "perks" of being on a corner lot. Like bikes and pedestrians cutting the corner and killing the grass.

Short of the suggestion above to water the area like crazy in order to dilute the urine, I think as has also been said, if there is no by-law the neighbour's only course is to let it go.
May 28, 2012
9394 posts
1757 upvotes
Saskatoon
Piro21 wrote:

Maybe it differs in Ontario...around here, the homeowner is expected to maintain that boulevard space and most take the initiative to make it low maintenance (i.e. crushed rock). I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for doing that.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5129 posts
1206 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Nothing you can do except get your own dog, follow them home, and then let your own dog pee on their boulevard.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 30, 2015
145 posts
54 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Yep. Inconsiderate dog owners regardless of public or private property. I feel the same way about people throwing their garbage out of their cars while driving by. Idiots. Yep, it lands on public property too.