Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2966 posts
816 upvotes
Paris
Mars2012 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 2:22 pm
Maybe it differs in Ontario...around here, the homeowner is expected to maintain that boulevard space and most take the initiative to make it low maintenance (i.e. crushed rock). I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for doing that.
Same as our little rural town. You would be ticketed if you did NOT cut the grass.

Don't think you can hardscape though
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1626 posts
452 upvotes
Mississauga
This does not sound like the boulevard which homeowners are supposed to maintain.

From the OP, the city had a maintenance crew maintaining the area so it might have been way past the property line. OP's neighbour just started maintaining it because the the city did not maintain it often enough...should have called the bylaw office and complain about increasing the maintenance rather than maintaining the patch of lawn and now claim ownership and making rules on exclusive right to use.

I will agree dog owner should stoop and scoop but a homeowner putting a sign for no poop/pee on a patch of land the city should be maintaining is over the top.

This is the way I see it if I was a dog owner... I have lived in the neighbourhood for 10 yrs. The city maintained the boulevard and I always stoop and scoop my dog in that area. OP's neighbour moved in 5yrs ago and started maintaining the boulevard in between the time the city maintains it. It now looks much better, then OP's neighbour then puts a sign that I should no longer use this patch of lawn for my dog to pee or poop even though I stoop and scoop. I'll probably tell OP's neighbour to piss off if they confront me
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7890 posts
1951 upvotes
Brampton
I can sympathize with the owner

Not much you can do about the pee. Honestly all I do about that is let it go, Keep a bag of Scotts coated seed and just water the crap out of it and drop a handful of seed in the spot, grass usually comes back in a week or two.

I try to chat with my owners on my street, keeps everyone happy. They say sorry about the spots, I say meh it's ok dogs are gonna do what they do as long as you pick up the bombs they leave behind so it doesn't hit the fan when I mow it's all good.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4687 posts
2490 upvotes
If it was poop that wasn’t being picked uP I would sympathize more. But I don’t think you can dictate where dogs pee.
Sep 17, 2002
768 posts
181 upvotes
In our area, the city property ends where the water valve is....so technically the space between the sidewalk and from the side walk to the water valve belongs to the city.....that varies from house to house. Add the side from the sidewalk to street and dogs have a nice wide area to do their business.

I do agree that dog users should pick up after their dog.....notice its worse during the winter/spring time.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4687 posts
2490 upvotes
iwells wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:47 am
In our area, the city property ends where the water valve is....so technically the space between the sidewalk and from the side walk to the water valve belongs to the city.....that varies from house to house. Add the side from the sidewalk to street and dogs have a nice wide area to do their business.

I do agree that dog users should pick up after their dog.....notice its worse during the winter/spring time.
Ya but how do you clean up after a dog urinating?

I’m not even a dog owner, but I assume You take it out for a walk, on the side walk, and when it goes it goes right? If it’s not one lawn it’s someone else’s. So what’s the solution?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8054 posts
2874 upvotes
Toronto
Op, tell the homeowner to put a sign up that says...Pesticides in use and go buy some empty shell thingy that looks like pesticide holder and place on the grass.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2397 posts
554 upvotes
Newmarket
fdl wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:48 pm
Ya but how do you clean up after a dog urinating?

I’m not even a dog owner, but I assume You take it out for a walk, on the side walk, and when it goes it goes right? If it’s not one lawn it’s someone else’s. So what’s the solution?
You teach the dog to heel and allow him to go where you want him to go. Not always easy but can definitely be done. if you live in the area you very well know which property is looked after even if it belongs to a city and not a home owner, and which areas are not maintained, Simply a matter of common courtesy.
Sep 16, 2006
671 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
Give me a break. Where is the dog supposed to pee on walks? Yes they should pick up the poo but seriously this is ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1122 posts
71 upvotes
Grimsby
The extremely dry conditions have aided this situation. Now the rains are here the problem is resolved for this year at least.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4558 posts
208 upvotes
Burnaby
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 6:58 pm
Give me a break. Where is the dog supposed to pee on walks? Yes they should pick up the poo but seriously this is ridiculous.
I agree with you. Besides the dog owner not picking up the poop and being a douche when confronted, I can't see how anyone can complain about the other points.

Teaching your dog to heel and pee/poo on command? Not even Ceasar Milan can do that every day, each time the dog needs to go so give me a break.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Feb 26, 2016
463 posts
77 upvotes
I have the same issue. I live on the corner lot and have a sidewalk on the side of my house. some dog owners are inconsiderate and leave the feces behind without picking up. often times, this is within my property. once, I even saw a dog owner walk their dog all the way to the side of my house. thinking about installing a fence on my property line. I just completely gave up on the city lines. I just mow the weeds down on the other side now. with respect to urine, I just wish that the dogs went to the other side of the sidewalk to pee and not on my property. it's all weed there now anyway.

during the summer, I bought a weed killer and just started spraying my lawn. hoping dog owners saw me do it and fear that their dog might get an allergic reaction to it. not quite sure if that worked. putting a sign up would have probably had a stronger impact.

unfortunately, I think it's inconsiderate people like this that devalue the neighbourhood...
Sep 16, 2006
671 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
otaknap wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:46 am
I have the same issue. I live on the corner lot and have a sidewalk on the side of my house. some dog owners are inconsiderate and leave the feces behind without picking up. often times, this is within my property. once, I even saw a dog owner walk their dog all the way to the side of my house. thinking about installing a fence on my property line. I just completely gave up on the city lines. I just mow the weeds down on the other side now. with respect to urine, I just wish that the dogs went to the other side of the sidewalk to pee and not on my property. it's all weed there now anyway.

during the summer, I bought a weed killer and just started spraying my lawn. hoping dog owners saw me do it and fear that their dog might get an allergic reaction to it. not quite sure if that worked. putting a sign up would have probably had a stronger impact.

unfortunately, I think it's inconsiderate people like this that devalue the neighbourhood...
Pretty sure using pesticides without putting a sign up is illegal in Ontario.
Feb 26, 2016
463 posts
77 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 1:12 pm
Pretty sure using pesticides without putting a sign up is illegal in Ontario.
surprised... I use ecosense weed b gon from home depot. don't recall instruction bottle telling me that I needed to put signs up..