• Oct 15th, 2017 10:32 pm
Tags:
Sep 16, 2006
626 posts
64 upvotes
Pickering
otaknap wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 2:13 pm
surprised... I use ecosense weed b gon from home depot. don't recall instruction bottle telling me that I needed to put signs up..
I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure. Also, you really shouldn't use pesticides dude, especially in a revengey kind of way. It's bad for the environment and all nature's creatures. If you don't like weeds, pluck them. Don't be mean to the environment and your local dogs. Dogs have to relieve themselves. Sometimes they do it on a walk. It has been this way for thousands of years. I have a dog, and I don't take kindly to people doing things like using revenge pesticides. It's very mean. Please do not do this again, and try to be nicer to mother nature and your local dogs. It is not their fault. It is the owners fault if the dog poos on your lawn and it is not picked up, but as far as pee goes, it just happens. Your lawn will get peed on. That's life. Please just deal with it and stop trying to hurt innocent animals :)
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4450 posts
2089 upvotes
Edmonton
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 1:12 pm
Pretty sure using pesticides without putting a sign up is illegal in Ontario.
I suspect that poster doesn't need to post a sign if he was applying it to his private property. It may be a different story if they were applying it to a public boulevard.

Having said that, applying pesticides in the hope of causing a reaction to someone's pets (and/or children) is a pretty cowardly way to deal with the situation, as well as ineffective. How would the pet (or child) owner know which property had some noxious chemicals? You'd be much further ahead with the warning sign and NOT spraying anything. Kind of a no-brainer to me... But if the poster can't figure out that applying toxins is a poor way to deal with animals doing what comes naturally, trying to figure out that a sign (that the owners can actually see, as opposed to invisible chemicals) would be a more effective deterrent may be too much of a stretch.

C
Feb 26, 2016
421 posts
62 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 2:34 pm
I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure. Also, you really shouldn't use pesticides dude, especially in a revengey kind of way. It's bad for the environment and all nature's creatures. If you don't like weeds, pluck them. Don't be mean to the environment and your local dogs. Dogs have to relieve themselves. Sometimes they do it on a walk. It has been this way for thousands of years. I have a dog, and I don't take kindly to people doing things like using revenge pesticides. It's very mean. Please do not do this again, and try to be nicer to mother nature and your local dogs. It is not their fault. It is the owners fault if the dog poos on your lawn and it is not picked up, but as far as pee goes, it just happens. Your lawn will get peed on. That's life. Please just deal with it and stop trying to hurt innocent animals :)
I grew up with a family dog myself and I love dogs. to be clear, I'm not out to harm any dogs in a revengeful way but instead encourage owners to respect other people's property.

the product I use is ecosense so I'm assuming it's environmentally friendly but when I spray it, some dog owners see it and just prefer to not step on my lawn = ) I completely understand that a dog needs to relieve itself and I'm not complaining about that at all. when you gotta go, you gotta go. I think it's just the dog owners responsibility to respect the property of other people and do the best they can in avoiding doing it at someone else's property. A lot of people take a lot of care and time in maintaining their lawn and I take the upmost effort in making sure that my dog didn't do their business on their property. There are sidewalks and my dog was trained enough to do their business once we arrived at a public area like the park. If she happened to go, I make sure it's on the other side of the sidewalk where it's public property. It's the same when I go for a walk with my son, I consciously don't step on people's lawns and discourage my two year old son not to do as well. I use the side walk (that's what it's for). Not picking up poop is a whole bigger issue even if it is public property. Hence why there are often public signs indicating fines if you don't pick up after your dog.

Saying that your dog has no control is not a good enough excuse because dog owners can make sure they don't step on private property (that's what a leash is for). How someone cares for their lawn whether they use pesticides or not is also none of anyone's business so long it's in accordance to the law.

My son runs around my lawn all the time and often falls. I don't want him to be falling on pee and poop so telling me to deal with it is just not being considerate. You have a bit more ammo if you say that if it's public property but not if it's my property. Otherwise, next time someone may pee, poop or throw garbage on your property and you can see how it feels when they tell you to just please deal with it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3379 posts
1327 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
notfromqc wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 12:17 pm
Corner lots are magnets for dog owners taking their dogs for their "walk" - they round the corner and think they are suddenly invisible
I hardly think the dogs peeing should be a problem. I agree it is wrong for them to leave the dog craps though. I have two dogs and when we go for walks they pee on the city owned grass on side of the road. I do pick up their feces though.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3379 posts
1327 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
otaknap wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:08 pm
Saying that your dog has no control is not a good enough excuse because dog owners can make sure they don't step on private property (that's what a leash is for). How someone cares for their lawn whether they use pesticides or not is also none of anyone's business so long it's in accordance to the law.

My son runs around my lawn all the time and often falls. I don't want him to be falling on pee and poop so telling me to deal with it is just not being considerate. You have a bit more ammo if you say that if it's public property but not if it's my property. Otherwise, next time someone may pee, poop or throw garbage on your property and you can see how it feels when they tell you to just please deal with it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
OP was describing dogs peeing on city property, not someone's private property. If I were the dog owner being chastized for my dog peeing on grass that isn't even owned by that person I would also tell the person to take a leap.
Feb 26, 2016
421 posts
62 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:37 pm
OP was describing dogs peeing on city property, not someone's private property. If I were the dog owner being chastized for my dog peeing on grass that isn't even owned by that person I would also tell the person to take a leap.
I agree which is why I take minimal care of the city owned lawn and it's filled with weeds. Some inconsiderate dog owners just prefer to walk their dog on my lush green lawn instead and let them do their business there.
Nov 7, 2012
631 posts
221 upvotes
TORONTO
What do homeowners do with rabbits and other animals that poop/pee/dig up their lawns.

As a dog owner, picking up your dogs crap is a given. Come on.... As for peeing.... lol. My dog pees in my backyard and there's hardly any grass burn. Its easy to assume that dog pee is causing grass to burn. But if you look around trees and fire hydrants where dogs constantly pee... it doesn't burn. If anything I've seen grass flourish on those spots.

OP, your neighbour probably has grubs. But for the poo situation, he/she has all the right to get pissed. I'd be pissed. But at the same time, they're both being dicks. When I see my neighbours with dogs who don't go out with a poop bag I know for damn sure they're leaving it somewhere. For the most part they leave it in areas where there is no foot traffic, nor a neighbours yard.
Jan 15, 2017
524 posts
314 upvotes
otaknap wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:08 pm
I grew up with a family dog myself and I love dogs. to be clear, I'm not out to harm any dogs in a revengeful way but instead encourage owners to respect other people's property...
Stating that you were hoping that the dog would have some sort of allergic reaction appears to me to set out to harm dogs. Allergic reactions can be harmful and fatal.

The Ecosense product that you are using may cause skin sensitization, irritation to the eyes and can cause irritation of inhaled. These side effects are noted for humans - not dogs, and this includes any small and young children that may walk on the area or play on the area. Anyone who is walking on the sprayed area can easily transport and contaminant this chemical elsewhere on the bottom of their shoes.

There is little doubt that dog owners not picking up after their dogs is annoying and frustrating. It is though like noise and parking and many other annoying irritants of living in a city.
Feb 26, 2016
421 posts
62 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:12 pm
Stating that you were hoping that the dog would have some sort of allergic reaction appears to me to set out to harm dogs. Allergic reactions can be harmful and fatal.

The Ecosense product that you are using may cause skin sensitization, irritation to the eyes and can cause irritation of inhaled. These side effects are noted for humans - not dogs, and this includes any small and young children that may walk on the area or play on the area. Anyone who is walking on the sprayed area can easily transport and contaminant this chemical elsewhere on the bottom of their shoes.

There is little doubt that dog owners not picking up after their dogs is annoying and frustrating. It is though like noise and parking and many other annoying irritants of living in a city.
you can buy eco sense from home depot and i didn't think i need to warn the neighbourhood if i applied it. if the eco sense bottle came with a sign that I can put on my lawn, I'd be more than happy to put that on as a warning sign because like I mentioned that would probably work better. people manage their lawn in various ways and some even put more harmful products on their lawn. after I spray it, I don't let my two year old run and roll around in the grass until at least 48 hours.

isn't the solution as a dog owner simple? just mitigate your dog's risk and walk your dog on the sidewalk and avoid stepping on someone's property? I see tons of responsible dog owners do that including myself. to me, walking on someone's corner lot (on their property) is no different than walking in someone's backyard. it's bad enough that I have to clean up the garbage that people leave onto my side of the lawn. it's worse when I see I feces not being picked up especially when I'm moving the lawn. unfortunately, I understand it comes with the territory of owning a corner house but I will maintain my property to the best of my abilities and unless I have to legally disclose how I do that, strangers with or without a dog choose to take some risk walking on my lawn.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5872 posts
743 upvotes
Grimsby
My last house was a corner lot so I can empathize. People leave trash on there, don't pick up their dog crap and always feel like they're entitled to park beside your house (I had a guy park a camper there for a whole summer). The town is supposed to take care of the grass but never does.

I had a similar situation that I just ignored for a long time, wanting to take the high road. Eventually it got to be too much so I put up a camera on my house overlooking that area. In my municipality this was OK, though I'm sure the neighbours didn't love it but oh well, they didn't have to clean that area like I did. That's what did the trick, suddenly people weren't leaving beer cans, Tim Hortons Cups (why arent these things recyclable yet?) and dog crap there anymore.
Sep 16, 2006
626 posts
64 upvotes
Pickering
skeet50 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:12 pm

Yes, thank you. I agree completely. It's like people who put out traps to kill or harm wild animals like hornets. But worse, because dogs are our friends and our family members. If somebody hurt my dog I would be very angry.
I seriously hope that your neighbors who have dogs don't read your RFD post about wanting to cause them an allergic reaction. You never know who you are messing with when you mess with people. Luckily we live in Canada and violence isn't as bad as the USA, but seriously, what if there's a serial killer in your neighborhood who hasn't been caught and he has a dog and he finds out you made his dog sick? Do you see what I'm saying? It's not worth messing with people. It's especially not worth it over trivial things like this.

Be nice to your neighbors and their dogs. Put a sign out politely asking people not to let their dogs relieve themselves there. Anything beyond that is a complete overreaction and you might make the wrong person angry. Totally not worth it.

Try to put yourself in their shoes. It's not easy to control a dog on a leash. If they have to pee they are going to pee and it is hard for the human to control where that happens. You have to stop this pesticide thing. It's misguided and arguably very cruel.
Feb 26, 2016
421 posts
62 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 1:57 pm
Yes, thank you. I agree completely. It's like people who put out traps to kill or harm wild animals like hornets. But worse, because dogs are our friends and our family members. If somebody hurt my dog I would be very angry.
I seriously hope that your neighbors who have dogs don't read your RFD post about wanting to cause them an allergic reaction. You never know who you are messing with when you mess with people. Luckily we live in Canada and violence isn't as bad as the USA, but seriously, what if there's a serial killer in your neighborhood who hasn't been caught and he has a dog and he finds out you made his dog sick? Do you see what I'm saying? It's not worth messing with people. It's especially not worth it over trivial things like this.

Be nice to your neighbors and their dogs. Put a sign out politely asking people not to let their dogs relieve themselves there. Anything beyond that is a complete overreaction and you might make the wrong person angry. Totally not worth it.

Try to put yourself in their shoes. It's not easy to control a dog on a leash. If they have to pee they are going to pee and it is hard for the human to control where that happens. You have to stop this pesticide thing. It's misguided and arguably very cruel.
to be clear, I'm not hoping to harm or give an allergic reaction to dogs. What I stated was "hoping dog owners saw me do it and fear that their dog might get an allergic reaction to it". Perhaps that wasn't properly phrased but I would be applying weed killer even if no dogs walked on my lawn and that is what I do in my backyard where my lawn is fenced up. I apply weed killer to kill weeds! and when some dog owners see me do it, they refrain from walking on my grass when they otherwise would have. this is just a secondary benefit to applying weed killer to me. I also went down the path of pulling weeds for two years with no prevail and hence why I chose the option of weed killer instead. if I am really out to harm dogs, I can do much worse than spraying a bit of weed killer.

I apologize for our disagreement but unfortunately, I along with many other people will continue to apply whatever we're legally allowed to on our lawn. unless, we're legally required to publicly disclose how we maintain our lawn, I won't go out of my way to spend money in buying a sign to warn others. I'm sure fertilizer is harmful to animals too and yet many homeowners fertilize their grass four times a year without disclosing it. dogs could accidentally swallow that and it could be even more harmful. knowing this, it's the dog owners responsibility to protect your dog and understand that it is really out of your control on what people apply to their lawns. however, what it is in your control is where your dog walks.

the analogy with the serial killer is great but you should also be careful the next time you walk your dog on someone else's lawn as it could be a serial killer's lawn and who knows what they would do.

I understand that sometimes its hard to control a dog especially when they are puppies but as a dog owner, you should really try your best in not stepping into private property. And I have been in a dog owner's shoes. I've walked my 70lb dog right beside me on a short leash without her ever stepping off the sidewalk onto someone's lawn. And never had she peed where I didn't want her to pee. a lot of dog owners allow their dogs to lead and often times, the dog walks onto private property and the dog owner just follows (for some reason, it's always the smaller dogs). instead of pulling back the dog back to the sidewalk, the dog walker just joins the dog onto the private property and hangs out there for the dog to do it's business. to me, that is not an accident and definitely preventable by the dog owner.

unfortunately, confrontation sometimes makes the situation worse as described by the op but here's a short video of how it went the other way when dog owner did not pick up after her dog (which we all agree is unacceptable).

Jan 15, 2017
524 posts
314 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:37 pm
Two thumbs up.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3379 posts
1327 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
otaknap wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:29 am
I agree which is why I take minimal care of the city owned lawn and it's filled with weeds. Some inconsiderate dog owners just prefer to walk their dog on my lush green lawn instead and let them do their business there.
I keep my dogs off other people's lawns and try to be considerate. I don't leave their poops, but I'm not going to get yelled at for them peeing on public grass. Some people need to take a chill pill.
Feb 26, 2016
421 posts
62 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 4:57 pm
I keep my dogs off other people's lawns and try to be considerate. I don't leave their poops, but I'm not going to get yelled at for them peeing on public grass. Some people need to take a chill pill.
agreed. unfortunately, op's neighbour has no grounds to complain if the dog pees on public grass. unfortunately, owning corner lots or living on sidewalks comes with that territory. however, I think op's neighbour is upset because he tried to politely ask the dog owner to have his/her dog pee somewhere else but instead got rudely dismissed. the dog owner could have simply politely replied and said "sorry, it's in my dog's nature to mark its territory and this is public property". With the rude response given by the dog owner, it just stirs bad blood. The home owner may apply seeds, weed killer, fertilizer on that public grass unless someone complains which I don't see a lot of people doing... even then, I'm not sure what grounds someone would have to complain. he's doing the neighbour a favour by taking care of public property. most people would probably be happy he's maintaining it nicely.