• Apr 22nd, 2017 11:38 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1115 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Increase waist of suit pant .. No fabric left

OK so folks this is one of my favorites... A Blue suit whose jacket fits just perfect but as I am getting older the waist line is getting tight for my increasing belly ...lol I mean I am still nowhere in fat category but the middle aged man's belly you know...
The problem is there is no more fabric left to increase the waist ( it was already done once..lol)
Its a very good one - Vitale Barberis Canonico Fabric , super 110's so I am bit miser to just discard it
My options
1. Diet and exercise more... I know its tough
2. Ditch the pant and use Jacket as Blazer? Does that work? Do people do this ?
3. I don't know how else a tailor can make the pants fit?

What you folks say...
17 replies
Dec 31, 2011
18 posts
2 upvotes
North York
If u really like the suit.. you can sometimes make it a little bigger by taking extra material and adding a little v shape to the top back of the waistband. . Can give u a good inch or so more...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1115 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
h0000ng wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:38 pm
If u really like the suit.. you can sometimes make it a little bigger by taking extra material and adding a little v shape to the top back of the waistband. . Can give u a good inch or so more...
Oh ..Never thought it... Is it a valid option to ask the tailor to do ? I can get it done bit taper too so that he can get some fabric from there otherwise there is no fabric left. Combined with this and a one month of exercise, I can save money by not having to buy a new suit.....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1115 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Becks wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 6:24 pm
#3 - Get into a time machine and go back in time to when u were thinner..
Lol ..wish he or anyone else could... Only exercise can take you back....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7807 posts
2705 upvotes
Toronto
Skip lunch. Eat breakfast and dinner.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4293 posts
493 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 9:40 am
Skip lunch. Eat breakfast and dinner.
Great advice there. Stop eating never works. Rather eat healthy.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3730 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto
i googled "pants extender" and there were a lot of results that may be useful
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1115 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yesstyle wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 9:47 am
i googled "pants extender" and there were a lot of results that may be useful
Sorry that would look cheap if any extender is used in the front...
I can talk to a tailor if what h0000ng mentioned is possible but nothing will work in the front but otherwise I would rather discard it rather than looking cheap...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6712 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto
Pick up a new pair of pants that closely match the color of your jacket.
Places like Spier and Mackay may have them.
I still have a suit that fits me which I had custom made 20 years ago.
I have put on some weight off course but the tailor used some ingenuity.
On both hip areas he made it like a 2 inch mini button fly that can hardly be noticed especially with the jacket fits over it.
He added a button hole on one side of the wait band and added several buttons on the other side along the waist such that it works the same as the front fly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1115 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yes Yes I said in the OP itself that this is pretty much on the table but easier said than done.
Meanwhile just trying to gauge what can be done...
h0000ng and gh05t did make some suggestions, let me see if my tailor can agree to any of those...
Dec 31, 2011
18 posts
2 upvotes
North York
I work as a tailor.. get that request quit often..most of the v will be covered by the belt that u wear.. depending on how much u need.. the more u need the bigger of a v you'll obviously need.. and so more will show. .
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6619 posts
919 upvotes
I am mid age and just did visited my tailor for the opposite, taking the waist and butt in... Is not as hard as you think, cut your sugars and read the Zero Sugar Diet to start.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jun 24, 2008
46 posts
9 upvotes
Easiest way.... and don't laugh, get a compression undershirt like insta slim or something similar. Takes your waist down from a 36 to a 34. I run into the same problem with my tailor screaming no mas... and the undershirt will do the trick. Not going to lie... feels great with an extra inch or 2 to spare.