Tags:
[OP]
Dec 22, 2013
622 posts
1530 upvotes
Richmond Hill

India Travel

Hi
I will be visiting India for a 2 week period. I was wondering if one can buy a SIM card here in Canada that will be fully functional once I land in Delhi. If it is available where to get one?
this Post by batcave (http://forums.redflagdeals.com/how-much ... #p29651700) is very helpful in getting a SIM once one lands in Delhi.
I was just wondering if there is an alternative to get started right off the bat as the post suggests there may be a waiting period of upto 24 hours before the SIM gets activated.

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6772 posts
2636 upvotes
We arrived on a weekend. Some providers will activate within an hour... I think the one that activated in an hour was Airtel and it was 500 rupees for the SIM card and 2GB of data per day. My SO used IDEA and they activated a day later but only after calling them multiple times to get it done.
May 10, 2015
264 posts
75 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
There is no way to get an Indian SIM card while in Canada and international roaming prices on Canadian carriers are ridiculous.

The problem is that the rules for non-Indians getting an Indian SIM card are not uniform and pretty ambiguous. They also keep changing every few months. In my experience, Airtel is your best bet. Once you arrive, go to the nearest Airtel store (if not in the airport) and get your sim. Many hole-in-the-wall places across the country will also sell SIM cards but they won't be abreast of the latest rules and will try to rip you off. If they accept your documents and give you a sim, it will usually be activated in a couple of hours, though they say it will take a day.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2513 posts
932 upvotes
Everywhere
+1 for Airtel

I had to give them two passport photos and photocopies of my passport.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2513 posts
932 upvotes
Everywhere
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 12:00 am
That's it? Do they require anything else? Address proof or local contact?
I think I might have used my friend's adress where I was staying. Your passport is a solid piece of identification. They just want to be about to match the number to a person. It's pretty lax because where does the paper actually go?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)