Page 2 of 2

Re: Indifference of GM sales people

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 8:44 pm
by Shaner
nano wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 8:38 pm
i find domestic sales people are still trying to get as much as the can for a car. for example i went to hogan chev in late october to look at a used impala, the sales manager didn't want to budge. the car is still sitting their 2 months later.
Well you can't expect them to lose money on a car no matter how bad they're hurting for business. If he isn't going to make a profit by selling the car at your asking price, then obviously he would rather it sit in the parking lot until someon comes along that will pay the asking price. It's also winter right now, so once the weather warms up a bit that car will probably sell.

But to say only domestic salesmen try to get as much as they can for their cars is crazy. Every salesmen from every company wants to sell their cars for as much as possible. That's the whole point of business, to make as much money as possible.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 8:57 pm
by VivienM
Shaner wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 8:44 pm
Well you can't expect them to lose money on a car no matter how bad they're hurting for business. If he isn't going to make a profit by selling the car at your asking price, then obviously he would rather it sit in the parking lot until someon comes along that will pay the asking price.
And if that person never comes along... then their bank gets rich charging the stealership interest on it forever.

was not "bashing" the big 3

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 10:37 pm
by meme0123
Shaner wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 12:59 pm
Meh, people like to bash the big 3 whenever the opportunity arises. For whatever reason, you didn't get an overly aggressive salesman. That happens at every dealership of every car company.

I just recently purchased a Ford Explorer and I was provided with absolutely great service. As soon as I walked into the dealership lobby a sales guy asked if I needed help, offered me a coffee and within minutes I was test driving a couple vehicles. Within about 40 minutes, the deal was done and I left very happy.

I've also received absolutely great service at GM, Hyundai and Nissan, but I received terrible service at a Honda dealership. For whatever reason, the sales guy didn't really want to let me take a test drive. I was the one who kept having to push the issue, asking about the car, asking the price, asking if I could drive it, etc. They weren't helpful whatsoever. With that in mind, I know that if I go to another Honda dealership (or even the same one) I'll probably have a much more pleasant experience.
I have no clue where you got the idea I was "bashing" the Big 3 - I was simply stating my experience at GM dealerships. In fact, I have only been looking at vehicles from the "Big 3"

Posted: Jan 12th, 2009 10:19 am
by ES_Revenge
nano wrote:
for example i went to hogan chev in late october to look at a used impala, the sales manager didn't want to budge. the car is still sitting their 2 months later.
Well if you're still in the market, why not go back and tell them exactly that?

"Look I made an offer 2 months ago, the car has gone nowhere and you still have it. It's only depreciating here on your lot..." Then make another reasonable offer and see what they say. If they still outright refuse (and won't even negotiate) then just laugh in their face and tell them "good luck". Once the car sits there another 2 months, it will probably sink in that they were being retards. Not to say you should wait around that long, but just to say it'll at least get the message across eventually.

I'm puzzled as to why people just don't say what they are thinking at car dealers. If you don't speak up and say something, they aren't going to care. Now if you do speak up they still might not care, but at least you made a legitimate go of it.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2009 11:13 am
by nornet
nano wrote:
i find domestic sales people are still trying to get as much as the can for a car. for example i went to hogan chev in late october to look at a used impala, the sales manager didn't want to budge. the car is still sitting their 2 months later.
Are you a tire kicker or a sincere buyer? Maybe the sales manager had you pegged as the former.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2009 11:24 am
by golden
If you think you got bad service, try Audi... I had extremely bad experience with Audi. On the day I got my deposit ready for an A4, I ended up walking away.

Here was my experience when I was trying to buy a black A4 at year end sale. I test drove the car at the Scarborough dealership. The sales man told me that they don't have a black in stock but can trade with a Quebec dealership for no extra cost. The day I went in for putting my deposit down, I was told that there would be an extra $1000 fee to transport the car from Quebec unless I pick the blue which they had in stock. Then they wanted to charge me more for the rim options than MSRP, saying MSRP was only suggested price, which dealerships can charge more or less. I argued about the verbal talk we had after the test drive, then he say "Don't put words into my mouth, I never said that.".... Of course, I walked out.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2009 11:24 am
by thephenom
oliverstwist wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 5:59 pm
If you miss it that much, shop at Harry Rosen more often.
Pretty sure a bum doesn't get much service at Harry Rosen. And perhaps you can try shopping at Mercedes more. Their service is pretty damn good if you look like a buyer.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2009 5:53 pm
by VivienM
thephenom wrote:
Jan 12th, 2009 11:24 am
Pretty sure a bum doesn't get much service at Harry Rosen. And perhaps you can try shopping at Mercedes more. Their service is pretty damn good if you look like a buyer.
But that's the problem with Mercedes dealers. Their definition of "look like a buyer" is extremely narrow... and it's a turn off for anybody who, for whatever reason, doesn't pass their rigid tests.

(And yes, I've done business with Harry Rosen quite a bit. They're far less discriminatory than many car dealers...)

Posted: Jan 12th, 2009 5:53 pm
by VivienM
nornet wrote:
Jan 12th, 2009 11:13 am
Are you a tire kicker or a sincere buyer? Maybe the sales manager had you pegged as the former.
The instant you make an offer on the car... doesn't that imply you're not a tire kicker?

Posted: Jan 12th, 2009 7:44 pm
by nano
Shaner wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 8:44 pm
Well you can't expect them to lose money on a car no matter how bad they're hurting for business. If he isn't going to make a profit by selling the car at your asking price, then obviously he would rather it sit in the parking lot until someon comes along that will pay the asking price. It's also winter right now, so once the weather warms up a bit that car will probably sell.

But to say only domestic salesmen try to get as much as they can for their cars is crazy. Every salesmen from every company wants to sell their cars for as much as possible. That's the whole point of business, to make as much money as possible.
he wasn't willing to work with me, the sales manager was trying to do pull a fast one on me we were sitting there he wouldn't look me in the eye. i bet he looked at me and thought this black girl is probably a cashier at walmart and wont qualify for for a loan. the rates he was offering me actually made me laugh out loud, i actually said to him "these rates are for people with an r9 credit rating lets talk about the cash price" after talking for 10 or 15 mins more i told him ill have to think about it.

ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 12th, 2009 10:19 am
Well if you're still in the market, why not go back and tell them exactly that?

"Look I made an offer 2 months ago, the car has gone nowhere and you still have it. It's only depreciating here on your lot..." Then make another reasonable offer and see what they say. If they still outright refuse (and won't even negotiate) then just laugh in their face and tell them "good luck". Once the car sits there another 2 months, it will probably sink in that they were being retards. Not to say you should wait around that long, but just to say it'll at least get the message across eventually.

I'm puzzled as to why people just don't say what they are thinking at car dealers. If you don't speak up and say something, they aren't going to care. Now if you do speak up they still might not care, but at least you made a legitimate go of it.
thats what im planning to do.. but when the salesman from you last car purchase calls you up and tells you "lets meet for lunch and talk about you next car" why bother..

nornet wrote:
Jan 12th, 2009 11:13 am
last time i was in the dealership is when i went there to get a free shiffle 2 yrs before.

i would have been more aggressive but with the market tanking and my vacation coming and with Christmas coming up i knew it could wait until the new yr.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2009 10:26 pm
by z24driver1986
All you have to do right now is find a GOOD GM dealership and a Sales person that someone recommends to you. Maybe someone on here can help you...

Posted: Jan 12th, 2009 11:16 pm
by help_questions
meme0123 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 11:29 am
My lease is expiring soon and I have asked a few different GM dealerships for a quote a a specific car and options. All have given outrageous quotes and not one has followed up further. Given the fact GM is hanging by a thread over the cliff one would think their sales people would be a little more interested in a potential sale. From the way they act, you'd think there were hundreds of customers lined up at the dealership waiting for the doors to open to buy GM cars.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have any comments or advice??? ** Sorry - should have made it clear that I am asking for quotes to purchase (not lease again)

They have better things to do....like follow-up their applications to the Honda/Toyota dealerships.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2009 11:18 pm
by VivienM
help_questions wrote:
Jan 12th, 2009 11:16 pm
They have better things to do....like follow-up their applications to the Honda/Toyota dealerships.
Given Honda/Toyota sales dropped 30% in the last month despite the best efforts of this forum's regulars, what makes you think Honda/Toyota stealerships are hiring more salespeople?

Posted: Jan 13th, 2009 9:12 am
by nornet
VivienM wrote:
Jan 12th, 2009 5:53 pm
The instant you make an offer on the car... doesn't that imply you're not a tire kicker?
You don't have to make an offer to talk price.

Posted: Jan 13th, 2009 10:09 am
by golden
Why buy GM if you're being treated like that?? I wouldn't even bother searching for another dealership. If you're buying such a big ticket item, you deserve good service. I would just consider other brands with better cars.