Page 1 of 2

Indifference of GM sales people

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 11:29 am
by meme0123
My lease is expiring soon and I have asked a few different GM dealerships for a quote a a specific car and options. All have given outrageous quotes and not one has followed up further. Given the fact GM is hanging by a thread over the cliff one would think their sales people would be a little more interested in a potential sale. From the way they act, you'd think there were hundreds of customers lined up at the dealership waiting for the doors to open to buy GM cars.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have any comments or advice??? ** Sorry - should have made it clear that I am asking for quotes to purchase (not lease again)

Re: Indifference of GM sales people

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 11:32 am
by VivienM
Are you looking for another lease? GM doesn't lease anymore... or if they do, it's at 12-13% interest rates...

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 11:36 am
by ES_Revenge
meme0123 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 11:29 am
From the way they act, you'd think there were hundreds of customers lined up at the dealership waiting for the doors to open to buy GM cars.
Funny enough that's what their "Canada-Wide Clearance" commercials depicted, no? :lol:
meme0123 wrote:
Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have any comments or advice???
Well I experienced something similar trying to check out a car with one Saturn dealer last summer. Given I didn't go back afterwards, nor did I visit any other Saturn dealer (I was already pretty set on what car I was buying but was just checking other options anyway) but yeah they seemed to be total morons when I enquired about pricing. Plus I waited around for like a half hour before one of the two people in there even said anything to me (and there was no other customer in the dealership but me), and by the time they did it was nearly closing :rolleyes:

My advice is probably to just tell them exactly what you said here. "Look you guys are not exactly in a position to be retards right now. I'm serious about buying a car so either you get serious or I'm seriously walking across the street to the [insert competing car company here] dealer and getting a car there."

If that isn't enough to make them wake up, then just walk out and buy elsewhere.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 11:52 am
by nornet
meme0123 wrote:
My lease is expiring soon and I have asked a few different GM dealerships for a quote a a specific car and options. All have given outrageous quotes and not one has followed up further. Given the fact GM is hanging by a thread over the cliff one would think their sales people would be a little more interested in a potential sale. From the way they act, you'd think there were hundreds of customers lined up at the dealership waiting for the doors to open to buy GM cars.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have any comments or advice??? ** Sorry - should have made it clear that I am asking for quotes to purchase (not lease again)
I encountered the same indifference at Ford dealerships. Actually I found GM (Saturn) to be fairly aggressive. When they found out I was serious about buying, they first gave me the sticker price as everyone knows Saturn doesn't haggle. The salesman followed up twice with revised pricing. I think you got a bad dealership like I did with Ford.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 11:55 am
by raymondly
Last weekend I had to get service done on my vehicle at a dealership.
I was ignored for 15 minutes by the sales staff as they were too busy looking at a new '09 Camero.
I walked across the street to the Hyundai dealership where they promptly offered my coffee and the keys to any vehicle on the lot even though I said I was just killing time waiting for my van to be serviced.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 12:59 pm
by Shaner
Meh, people like to bash the big 3 whenever the opportunity arises. For whatever reason, you didn't get an overly aggressive salesman. That happens at every dealership of every car company.

I just recently purchased a Ford Explorer and I was provided with absolutely great service. As soon as I walked into the dealership lobby a sales guy asked if I needed help, offered me a coffee and within minutes I was test driving a couple vehicles. Within about 40 minutes, the deal was done and I left very happy.

I've also received absolutely great service at GM, Hyundai and Nissan, but I received terrible service at a Honda dealership. For whatever reason, the sales guy didn't really want to let me take a test drive. I was the one who kept having to push the issue, asking about the car, asking the price, asking if I could drive it, etc. They weren't helpful whatsoever. With that in mind, I know that if I go to another Honda dealership (or even the same one) I'll probably have a much more pleasant experience.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 2:00 pm
by thomas101
meme0123 wrote:

In September last year, I used the dealer website, Frost Pontiac, to request quote by email only. Responses were prompt but I had to go in to the dealer to haggle. To be fair, if you are GM salesman, you don't want to look desperated nor pushy in this climate.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 2:50 pm
by Kayne
raymondly wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 11:55 am
Last weekend I had to get service done on my vehicle at a dealership.
I was ignored for 15 minutes by the sales staff as they were too busy looking at a new '09 Camero.
I walked across the street to the Hyundai dealership where they promptly offered my coffee and the keys to any vehicle on the lot even though I said I was just killing time waiting for my van to be serviced.
I completely agree some places just suck, but you went and looked at a Hyundai instead of the new Camaro?

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 4:10 pm
by z24driver1986
you have to find a good GM dealer and a sales person that is established and cares about his clients. The #1 reason why people do not buy a car is because of the sales person. If you want to buy a GM come to Oshawa and deal with Cecile at Ontario Motor Sales.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 4:18 pm
by Engi-Nir
I think sales people now a days give you some free time to look around.

I personally do not like a sales person to come to me, when I am ready I will ask for a salesperson.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 4:36 pm
by thephenom
Engi-Nir wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 4:18 pm
I think sales people now a days give you some free time to look around.

I personally do not like a sales person to come to me, when I am ready I will ask for a salesperson.
QFT.

In NA, if you walk into a casual clothing store like GAP or Club Monaco, they tend to leave you alone to do your own browsing. In contrast, whenever I'm in Asia in similar casual clothing stores, there would always be a salesperson following me around to help me look for sizes and store away the items I want. Just a different system IMO.

When I go look at cars, I'd like to try sitting in them by myself and try things out. I don't need a car salesman yapping in my ear trying to sell me a car. But when I'm done sitting in the car, and look like I am lost, I would prefer them to come and offer a test drive.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 4:55 pm
by nalababe
thomas101 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 2:00 pm
In September last year, I used the dealer website, Frost Pontiac, to request quote by email only. Responses were prompt but I had to go in to the dealer to haggle. To be fair, if you are GM salesman, you don't want to look desperated nor pushy in this climate.
Yes, but Sales 101 is not to respond to a request for an email or phone quote...anyone with even a basic strategic selling background will tell you that. Sure there is always a chance of a bluebird, but 99% of the time the person is just getting quotes to use at other vendors.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 5:59 pm
by oliverstwist
thephenom wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 4:36 pm
In NA, if you walk into a casual clothing store like GAP or Club Monaco, they tend to leave you alone to do your own browsing. In contrast, whenever I'm in Asia in similar casual clothing stores, there would always be a salesperson following me around to help me look for sizes and store away the items I want.
If you miss it that much, shop at Harry Rosen more often.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 6:08 pm
by TodayHello
nalababe wrote:
Jan 11th, 2009 4:55 pm
Yes, but Sales 101 is not to respond to a request for an email or phone quote...anyone with even a basic strategic selling background will tell you that. Sure there is always a chance of a bluebird, but 99% of the time the person is just getting quotes to use at other vendors.
Or a standardized template reply to call or come down for a test-drive.

Posted: Jan 11th, 2009 8:38 pm
by nano
i find domestic sales people are still trying to get as much as the can for a car. for example i went to hogan chev in late october to look at a used impala, the sales manager didn't want to budge. the car is still sitting their 2 months later.