Shopping Discussion

Indochino Suit arrived today, not thrilled...stay tuned.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2010 4:08 pm
[OP]
Jan 11, 2007
5 posts
3 upvotes
Woodstock

Indochino Suit arrived today, not thrilled...stay tuned.

Hello all, thought some RFD'ers might be interested in this story.

I ordered a suit from Indochino during the promotion about two weeks ago. I decided to go for the full thing and ordered a three-piece charcoal suit. I was very impressed with the presentation and web interface. My fiance helped me with the measurements and I picked out my customizations and sent the order off. The videos were very helpful in getting the measurements correct (I thought). I was a bit surprised when I entered the RFD coupon code that there was no mention of the "one free tailor-made dress shirt." I thought that maybe they would just include a shirt based on the measurements I provided. All told after conversion it was nearly $400.

The order went in no problem and I got a confirmation maybe a day or two later. Turns out they adjusted my measurements. Seemed okay except that they reduced my thigh measurement by .5 inches which I emailed them about. I play a lot of sports so I have big quads. They replied that this was based off their experienced tailors so I went with it.

Fast forward a week and a bit later and the suit arrives at my door step by FedEx. It was packed well and it was neat tracking the shipment from Shanghai to London, ON. I was excited to open the box...

...and was not happy.

1. The biggest complaint was that for some reason, it looks like the sleeves of the jacket were never finished. The inner lining does not connect to the sleeve at all and there's no slit at the buttons. There's just the end of the sleeve with four sewn on buttons and a very rough stitch at the edge and that's it. I'm no clothing expert but those sleeves don't 't look finished to me.

2. As I feared, the thighs are too narrow. I was afraid of this hence the extra email. They are also too short.

3. There was no free shirt in the package. Just the suit, the garment bag, and a bunch of papers (none of which explained the sleeve).

So at this stage, I've emailed customer service and am looking forward to their reply. I get the impression that if I go with their $75 credit in alterations, I will eat that up fast, especially since the sleeves don't appear done and extra work on them will likely shorten them if anything. I'd also need the pants let out at the thighs, which is $$$.

I was optimistic that the suit would come awesome right out of the box, given the 30 measurements I gave, but c'est la vie. I'm curious to see what Customer Service will say and will post back when I hear.

Cheers,
MW
16 replies
Dec 10, 2006
425 posts
15 upvotes
Peterborough
Sorry to hear about your experience. I was contemplating ordering a suit through them as well during the promotion. Let us know how they deal with the issue. Pictures are always welcome!
Jul 16, 2006
463 posts
my indochino suit arrived today as well, everything was good except the armpit area being a bit too tight

as for the free shirt, it's won't be included unless you add it on to the cart yourself...

but no worries worse comes to worst you can make some adjustments on the measurements and have them remake them...my friend ordered it last time and had them remake the whole suit without a problem
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1992 posts
210 upvotes
Lol what kind of noob orders a suit online
Dec 17, 2009
57 posts
9 upvotes
North Vancouver
pupazzo wrote:
Aug 31st, 2010 10:30 pm
Lol what kind of noob orders a suit online

Idiot.

To the OP, you can't expect an online MTM suit to be a perfect fit out of the box, you have the opportunity to send it back for a remake (if it costs more than 75 to fix). Make a few of those tweaks, tell them about the sleeve issue, and hopefully you'll get a better remake in the mail (which you can tweak further with your 75).

Indochino does provide great suits at their price point, but they're not perfect right away.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
84 upvotes
seiferseph wrote:
Aug 31st, 2010 11:22 pm
Idiot.

To the OP, you can't expect an online MTM suit to be a perfect fit out of the box, you have the opportunity to send it back for a remake (if it costs more than 75 to fix). Make a few of those tweaks, tell them about the sleeve issue, and hopefully you'll get a better remake in the mail (which you can tweak further with your 75).

Indochino does provide great suits at their price point, but they're not perfect right away.

I agree, only an idiot would order a suit online.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1063 posts
381 upvotes
You had to add your own shirt to the order and at that point it turned into a free shirt. You missed out!
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
2235 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
FrogPrince wrote:
Sep 1st, 2010 9:31 am
I agree, only an idiot would order a suit online.

You're an idiot for thinking that. My order can perfect, only adjustment needed were extending the pant length. Child.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2007
5 posts
3 upvotes
Woodstock
So I am pleased to report that Indochino's Customer Service replied promptly and addressed my concerns.

1. As for the sleeves, I can't fault them, this was totally my mistake. I had selected the option of "unhemmed" sleeves in my customization and obviously was not expecting the result that I got. I thought this referred to some sort of cuff, so this was my fault. I was pleased that CS didn't make me feel too much like a moron for doing this. :o

2. The pants were still a problem, so along with the jacket, I took both to the tailor for alteration. I think the trickiest part about this was that I'm in a new city so don't have much experience with the tailors here. I had to pick one that I thought would do a good job without any reviews/experience. Anyway, the bill for all the alterations ran $55 + tax, so within the $75 alteration credit Indochino offers.

3. Most importantly for RFD'ers, I am pleased to report that Indochino agreed to honour the coupon code for a free shirt and I placed the order directly with CS. As someone mentioned, this needed to be added at the time of purchase, although I don't recall seeing that fine print anywhere.

So all in all, I am fairly pleased with the outcome and am just waiting for my suit to come back from the tailor, my credit to get processed, and my shirt to come in the mail. I am pleased with Indochino CS so far, so hats off to them.

As for the people ragging on buying a suit online, well, what I can say to people like you? As for anyone else, with the exception of a few tweaks here and there, I'm pretty impressed with the suit. Time will tell if the quality holds up, but the jacket and vest fits very nicely, the material seems pretty decent, and it's always nice to have your name monogrammed on the inside :razz: I've worn enough suits off the rack that didn't fit great that - pending alterations - this seemed like a pretty decent deal.

Cheers,
MW
Nov 27, 2004
991 posts
245 upvotes
PIngp0NG wrote:
Sep 1st, 2010 6:11 pm
So I am pleased to report that Indochino's Customer Service replied promptly and addressed my concerns.

1. As for the sleeves, I can't fault them, this was totally my mistake. I had selected the option of "unhemmed" sleeves in my customization and obviously was not expecting the result that I got. I thought this referred to some sort of cuff, so this was my fault. I was pleased that CS didn't make me feel too much like a moron for doing this. :o

2. The pants were still a problem, so along with the jacket, I took both to the tailor for alteration. I think the trickiest part about this was that I'm in a new city so don't have much experience with the tailors here. I had to pick one that I thought would do a good job without any reviews/experience. Anyway, the bill for all the alterations ran $55 + tax, so within the $75 alteration credit Indochino offers.

3. Most importantly for RFD'ers, I am pleased to report that Indochino agreed to honour the coupon code for a free shirt and I placed the order directly with CS. As someone mentioned, this needed to be added at the time of purchase, although I don't recall seeing that fine print anywhere.

So all in all, I am fairly pleased with the outcome and am just waiting for my suit to come back from the tailor, my credit to get processed, and my shirt to come in the mail. I am pleased with Indochino CS so far, so hats off to them.

As for the people ragging on buying a suit online, well, what I can say to people like you? As for anyone else, with the exception of a few tweaks here and there, I'm pretty impressed with the suit. Time will tell if the quality holds up, but the jacket and vest fits very nicely, the material seems pretty decent, and it's always nice to have your name monogrammed on the inside :razz: I've worn enough suits off the rack that didn't fit great that - pending alterations - this seemed like a pretty decent deal.

Cheers,
MW

hey mw, same problem happened to me! but i purchased the suit prior to the alteration credit. i too selected unhemmed for the shirt sleeve because the interactive image made it appear that a cuff was going to be inserted. but when i received it i realized that it was completely unhemmed (the lining not hemmed). so i contacted CS and they were more then happy to offer me the alteration credit.i just sent them my invoice today for $42 and i'll let you know if i get the refund. but all in all the CS department with indochino is great.

and about the buttons on the sleeve it is good that indochino just sews on the buttons, this way when you actually bring it into a local tailor to hem the sleeves, they can adjust the buttons accordingly and then you can request the slits if you want them. so i think they just stitch them on like that if you select the unhemmed option.

lol - i'm glad i'm not the only one that fell for this mistake, the problem is how they describe the pants as a "hemmed cuff" i think. that makes me think of a cuff which i don't want. so i just thought the same would happen to my sleeve based on the image. i let them know about this and maybe they'll make changes to the interactive images on their site.

all in all i would have to say the fit is perfect - the pants are the best fitting pants i have ever owned. i agree the suit is a little tight under the armpit as another person mentioned but after awhile i think it will stretch to a perfect fit. i was a little disappointed with the fabric. but my suit was a linen material - so i can see why there is some piling on the fabric, but i just wasn't that impressed with this particular fabric. i know someone who got a black suit and that fabric looked good. so maybe its just the specific fabric i received.

so all in all indochino has great understanding customer service...the fitting is pretty good. my particular fabric quality was just par. but i'm comparing this to a fitted suit i got in korea for $265 and just think that fabric was a little better.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
2235 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
liquid_paper wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2010 12:29 am
hey mw, same problem happened to me! but i purchased the suit prior to the alteration credit. i too selected unhemmed for the shirt sleeve because the interactive image made it appear that a cuff was going to be inserted. but when i received it i realized that it was completely unhemmed (the lining not hemmed). so i contacted CS and they were more then happy to offer me the alteration credit.i just sent them my invoice today for $42 and i'll let you know if i get the refund. but all in all the CS department with indochino is great.

and about the buttons on the sleeve it is good that indochino just sews on the buttons, this way when you actually bring it into a local tailor to hem the sleeves, they can adjust the buttons accordingly and then you can request the slits if you want them. so i think they just stitch them on like that if you select the unhemmed option.

lol - i'm glad i'm not the only one that fell for this mistake, the problem is how they describe the pants as a "hemmed cuff" i think. that makes me think of a cuff which i don't want. so i just thought the same would happen to my sleeve based on the image. i let them know about this and maybe they'll make changes to the interactive images on their site.

all in all i would have to say the fit is perfect - the pants are the best fitting pants i have ever owned. i agree the suit is a little tight under the armpit as another person mentioned but after awhile i think it will stretch to a perfect fit. i was a little disappointed with the fabric. but my suit was a linen material - so i can see why there is some piling on the fabric, but i just wasn't that impressed with this particular fabric. i know someone who got a black suit and that fabric looked good. so maybe its just the specific fabric i received.

so all in all indochino has great understanding customer service...the fitting is pretty good. my particular fabric quality was just par. but i'm comparing this to a fitted suit i got in korea for $265 and just think that fabric was a little better.
Didn't read your post completely, but I can vouch greatly for their customer service, especially from Angie. She has helped me with my questions and alterations from day 1. Would definitely buy again if a good deal came around.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
84 upvotes
xeodragon wrote:
Sep 1st, 2010 11:28 am
You're an idiot for thinking that. My order can perfect, only adjustment needed were extending the pant length. Child.

....and you say I'm the idiot. :rolleyes:

Only a complete moron would order a suit online that they haven't tried on.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1603 posts
138 upvotes
Hampton
Ok - add me to the list of idiots then.

I have bought a suit from Indochino online - it fits a lot better than any equivalent priced off the rack suit I could buy in Canada. As long as you follow all the instructions carefully when measuring, the results are great and any small issues can easily be fixed at a local tailor as mentioned above. Bear in mind the customer service is based in Vancouver not China (or India for that matter!) which explains the positive experience described here.

If you are lucky enough to be built exactly like the model they base the off the rack suits on, then you would be well advised to go that route, but for those of us who are not (and I suspect that's a lot of people) this is a very cost effective and convenient solution. Once you have ordered, they keep your measurements, which means you can fine tune the next order and the next. They will send you material samples if you want these also - in practice the fit is as important if not more so for me than the cloth however.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2007
5 posts
3 upvotes
Woodstock
So the suit saga has finally wrapped up.

1. Got the suit back from the tailors last week. The local tailor here in London, ON did a pretty good job on the sleeve hem and pants. Total bill came to $62.15 with tax. The biggest charge was the sleeve hem which was a dumb mistake to begin with and I wouldn't make the same mistake again.

2. Angie in customer service took care of my shirt and my custom fitted dress shirt arrived last week as well. It is awesome. If you've never worn a tailored dress shirt before I highly recommend Indochino's. The fit is amazing and it's got a very nice French cuff with a light grey monogram of my initials on the cuff. Very slick. I don't know if I'd pay the $100 full retail for it, but since it came free with the RFD, it was very well worth it.

3. Just got my refund credit for the alterations by email and the refund will be applied to my credit card in the next few days. The alteration credit is just a scanned copy of your receipt from the tailor's and a few form details (i.e. changes in size to the garments).

With the suit all together (jacket, pants, vest, dress shirt) I have to say it's an incredibly stylish outfit. I'm very happy with it when all is said and done. In the end, it was a bit of extra hassle but the whole package came together quite nicely and Indochino fulfilled their end of the arrangement I would say. I hope that the fabric holds up over time but for now, I'm quite pleased with how things turned out.

Cheers
Aug 23, 2010
988 posts
88 upvotes
never heard of the store but indochino sounds like a racial slur lol

imo it is idiotic to order something like a suit online when you can get really good ones at moores for $60 if you look through the racks long enough :/
Contests Won: None :mad: