• Dec 25th, 2018 11:48 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Induced crying is good for you study says

https://www.medicaldaily.com/cry-it-out ... ars-333952

You know I've never been shy of a controversial topic and this time it's no different. It's a behavior not many will readily admit to doing themselves because of the negative connotations but if laughter is good for us it makes sense that crying should also. It's almost an act of great taboo.

We put on a comedy and laugh wirhout batting an eye but what if we watch absad movie and we cry? The scene in saving Private Ryan when he visits the grave in the beginning turns on the water works for me. Every time. Just thinking about it now is welling up.

I bet you guys think it's unhealthy for one to seek it out but as the study says it releases toxins the same way laughing does. If you are secure about yourself then by all means give it a try.

Let me know what you think. Are you macho enough ?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Did you read the studies linked? They don't exactly support the headline. Typical media misrepresentation of data to support a catchy story.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
It's like everytime I look at my bank account Crying FaceCrying FaceCrying FaceDisappointed But Relieved FaceDisappointed But Relieved FaceDisappointed But Relieved Face
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
amz155 wrote: Did you read the studies linked? They don't exactly support the headline. Typical media misrepresentation of data to support a catchy story.

Sir or Madame are you taking me to task on this? There is no debate on the benefits of crying if one feels sad. It releases chemicals this much is clear. I won't defend what the media likes to sensationalize because that's a fools errand but what I posted was merely corroboration that science has shown there are tangible benefits to crying even if it's self induced. I'm not saying to seek it out as a vice but if you have lost a loved one in the past and you like to reminisce go ahead and don't let so called therapists tell you it's bad to hold onto the past because to grow we need to extricate ourselves from that. That's mallarky. It's what makes us human. Sometimes exposing ourselves to these vulnerabilities is good for the soul. We are so caught up in these facades we put up that we forget to be humane sometimes and often to detriment of our health.

Just look at the flippant replies here. I understand the strong resistance to showing emotions sometimes because it makes us look weak but it's a humbling experience that not many dare even broach the topic on much less engage in.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
Brooks was here.

Excuse me, I think I have something in my eye...........
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Sir or Madame are you taking me to task on this? There is no debate on the benefits of crying if one feels sad. It releases chemicals this much is clear. I won't defend what the media likes to sensationalize because that's a fools errand but what I posted was merely corroboration that science has shown there are tangible benefits to crying even if it's self induced. I'm not saying to seek it out as a vice but if you have lost a loved one in the past and you like to reminisce go ahead and don't let so called therapists tell you it's bad to hold onto the past because to grow we need to extricate ourselves from that. That's mallarky. It's what makes us human. Sometimes exposing ourselves to these vulnerabilities is good for the soul. We are so caught up in these facades we put up that we forget to be humane sometimes and often to detriment of our health.

Just look at the flippant replies here. I understand the strong resistance to showing emotions sometimes because it makes us look weak but it's a humbling experience that not many dare even broach the topic on much less engage in.
Huh? I'm asking if you read the studies. If you want to talk about a topic with respect to studies that have been done, then the studies need to be relevant to the topic at hand, kwim? This has zero to do with resistance towards the topic. It needn't really matter what someone's opinion is if you're interested in what the data shows.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
amz155 wrote: Huh? I'm asking if you read the studies. If you want to talk about a topic with respect to studies that have been done, then the studies need to be relevant to the topic at hand, kwim? This has zero to do with resistance towards the topic. It needn't really matter what someone's opinion is if you're interested in what the data shows.
I'm only going by the link at face value. It's like someone saying eating less red meat will reduce your risk of cardio vascular disease or exercise is beneficial to your health without pulling pages of studies to back it up but we all know there is a morsel of truth to it. One does not always need to delve into minutia to justify a discussion on a topic in life. Sometimes I think discussions on here suffer rigamortis because of it.

You could say my interest lies on the epidermis level.

Good day, sir. (Willy Wonka reference)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)