Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3684 posts
578 upvotes

Induction or Gas range?

Hey

Building a new kitchen and trying to decide between getting an induction or gas range, does anyone here use an induction range or cook top? How do you like it? Did you have gas before?

Thanks
138 replies
May 17, 2005
536 posts
75 upvotes
We installed an induction cooktop a few weeks ago (had a electric radiant cooktop before that) and we love it. It heats up incredibly quickly and gives you great control over the heat. I particularly like that when you're cooking something that splatters (i.e. bacon), you can just put a piece of paper towel directly between the cooktop and the pan to catch all the mess. The down side, at least for us, is that we had to replace most of our pots and pans. However, in the context of a kitchen reno, an extra $300 is pretty insignificant. Compared to the radiant cooktop, it's a huge improvement. However, I've never used a gas range, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7481 posts
4351 upvotes
Edmonton
Are you spec'ing a kitchen for a new house, or is this a reno project? If a reno project, keep in mind the potential cost of upgrading your power to the range.

We went with gas for our recent reno. Haven't really had a chance to use it much, and I've never used an induction range. So not much help. :)

C
Jun 11, 2010
905 posts
477 upvotes
ottawa
Just chiming in, but recently moved to a place that had an induction cooktop installed by the previous owners. The original thought was PITA cause we needed all new pots (they left us one of those magnetic bases you can use with any pot, but to be honest it's not very efficient and kind of annoying). So we bought a new pot set (the heritage one from Sears when it was on sale for $90 ish), and absolutely love it. I wouldn't go back to any other kind of cooktop. It heats up very quickly, ours has a boost setting so 3 cups of water comes to a boil in about 30-45 seconds, and once you turn the cooktop off it cools down pretty fast as well. Also, since it's using magnetic fields to induce heat, the pans heat up evenly everywhere, so no uneven cooking.

Only downside is keep your pans well maintained, don't thermal shock them, because if they start to warp they won't work on the cooktop anymore since the bottom needs to be flat to work properly. Also, at least on my cooktop, you have to use the small pots on the small zones as a small pot won't work on a larger zone unless you have a 'multi size' zone, which is what I would look for if I were you, having at least 1 or 2 of those in case you want many small pots at once. Likewise, the larger pots won't work on a smaller zone unlike any other type of cooktop. So depends what needs you have in the kitchen, but I thoroughly promote it.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1608 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
We have been using the Samsung Induction now for 4 months and my wife loves it and wouldn't go back to a regular stove. It heats up fast, even and you don't have to worry about any spills burning on to the top. I have read that people put paper towel under the pot for easy clean up from splatters and If you have kid(s) Induction won't turn on until it senses a metallic pot.

We didn't consider a gas range as we don't like the smell, so for us it was narrowed down to Induction.

Cheers!
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3001 posts
359 upvotes
the speed of induction cannot be beat. We have had induction for the last four years and would not go back to anything else. Every time we got to my mother in laws, my wife cringes at the how long everything takes on the electric stove.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3684 posts
578 upvotes
Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far, great to hear all the positives about cooking with induction.

badass mentioned he has a Samsung, what brand are the rest of you using?

Thanks
Jun 11, 2010
905 posts
477 upvotes
ottawa
swales wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 10:40 am
Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far, great to hear all the positives about cooking with induction.

Thanks
Hey Swales, I as well have a samsung. Comes with a child lock feature too so even if the child managed to get the pot on there, it's locked. Mine has the 'boost' option, which heats up insanely fast, as well as the variable size zones.
Nov 7, 2012
809 posts
308 upvotes
TORONTO
I say go with gas if possible.

I've used induction a few times. Works nice. But here's the thing I'm not personally a fan of when it comes to induction and actually newer stove/ovens. A lot of them are digital and to me that can be a costly replacement. I'm sure a lot of people can attest that their newer stove has lasted them over 5 years without any issues. But when there is an issue with the digital panels (for slide ins the panel is at the front above the oven door and for standard uprights its behind the burners) they can be costly. Like 1/3 to 1/2 of price of the unit itself.

My wife and I were on the market for a new stove for a while. As the Jenn-Air (apparently high end) gas stove the house we bought this year had a broken digital panel which would cost around $500 to replace. And even if we could replace it who would know how long the replacement would last? The oven was unusable because we couldn't enter in the temperature. We pined over various models, like the Samsung which had wifi(why?) and all the bells and whistles. But we couldn't bring ourselves to commit to these newer type stoves. So we went with a stove/oven that was similar to professional brands like Viking or even Blue Star. Our stove/oven has zero digital controls. No self clean, no timers, no much ado about anything. Just a switch for the oven light and a switch for the fan for convection baking. It looks sexy and it runs and feels solid. We've cooked up a storm since we got it the day before Thanksgiving. We haven't had any issues and don't have to worry about failing digital panels.

But, depending on the layout and aesthetic of your renovation an induction might be better. But personally, I swear by gas, as it's something I used for years when I was a cook. Also, if there was a power outage.... how would you cook your food?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1068 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto, ON
swales wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks
We have a Electrolux induction, like others have mentioned, they're pretty awesome :)

One advantage that no one has mentioned yet is clean up... just wipe down the induction and you're done.

Unlike gas, you gotta remove the grills and then clean underneath etc.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10346 posts
5364 upvotes
Richmond Hill
General question: why are all high end homes gas. Never see induction.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5437 posts
349 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 12:43 pm
General question: why are all high end homes gas. Never see induction.
That's because those high end home isn't high end enough. (J/K)

Induction only got popular in the last 5 years or so. The technology has not proven its reliability just yet. Give it another 5 years, things will change slowly.

I have used both gas and induction, and prefer gas for the following reasons
- work during power outage
- excellent heat control
- cheap to operate
- flexible cookware selection

With that being said, I am swearing by my induction hotplate for my hotpot.
Mar 10, 2012
194 posts
142 upvotes
THORNHILL
I'll just mention why I'm not going induction, but gas.

All induction cooktops I've used don't have true analog control, it's digital, and stepped. I'm guessing this won't matter to most people, but I use pressure cookers a fair bit. Every time I've used them on an induction cooktop, I can't find a setting that is right. The temp will be too high, and the cooker will start venting, so I'll turn it down, and then it will be too low and the cooker starts losing pressure.

I'm not suggesting you not buy an induction range for this reason, just offering up why I'm not. If I could find an induction range with true analog control, I'd be all over it. I don't think it exists though, so it's gas for me (currently using a smoothtop electric that I'm not replacing until it breaks).

Thanks,

Brian
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8745 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Unless you cook alot or is a chef I would go with induction, easy clean, Gas if your strir frying alot and need the high heat!
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."