• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2018 2:17 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1265 posts
440 upvotes
Ontario
Gas any day every day. Fancy electric ovens mean more things can, and will, break/fail.
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
154 upvotes
York, ON
riffr aff wrote: Gas any day every day. Fancy electric ovens mean more things can, and will, break/fail.
Agree
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1387 posts
466 upvotes
London
Well I did it. We even had to reduce the calibration to 0 (from +25). It preheats and stays at the correct temperature.

The only thing is that the preheated buzzer says it is preheated before it actually is. I've done a fair amount of reading on this and sadly it seems that this is normal in lower end non commercial ranges (not lower end to me, but it is compared to some of the big luxury names). The reason does not seem to be specific to this range. From what I understand, it is because the air in the oven reaches temperature (which circulates around the temperature probe) before the actual structural parts (racks, walls etc) reach temperature. This is why many people keep a pizza stone in the oven at all times to act as a thermal sink. It makes sense to me because I have put a couple of bricks in my bbq in the winter time for years to help maintain heat. I also read, that for most home users these days what they are cooking is very forgiving (you can start a frozen pizza at 375). Some of the manufactures actually set off the preheated buzzer at a certain time, not temperature.

So I just need to order the top convection fan and replace that when we get back from vacation.

I didn't mean to high-jack this thread, but hopefully it helps someone else.

I would still pick induction over gas. Very responsive, very safe, super easy to clean, and I have no chance at burning the place down:)
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1044 posts
521 upvotes
ottawa
Drakestar wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 9:30 am
Well I did it. We even had to reduce the calibration to 0 (from +25). It preheats and stays at the correct temperature.

The only thing is that the preheated buzzer says it is preheated before it actually is. I've done a fair amount of reading on this and sadly it seems that this is normal in lower end non commercial ranges (not lower end to me, but it is compared to some of the big luxury names). The reason does not seem to be specific to this range. From what I understand, it is because the air in the oven reaches temperature (which circulates around the temperature probe) before the actual structural parts (racks, walls etc) reach temperature. This is why many people keep a pizza stone in the oven at all times to act as a thermal sink. It makes sense to me because I have put a couple of bricks in my bbq in the winter time for years to help maintain heat. I also read, that for most home users these days what they are cooking is very forgiving (you can start a frozen pizza at 375). Some of the manufactures actually set off the preheated buzzer at a certain time, not temperature.

So I just need to order the top convection fan and replace that when we get back from vacation.

I didn't mean to high-jack this thread, but hopefully it helps someone else.

I would still pick induction over gas. Very responsive, very safe, super easy to clean, and I have no chance at burning the place down:)
I agree with your statement, I have had a few annoyances with the induction range (also Samsung), but overall I wouldn't trade it for a gas with potentials for accidentally leaving on a burner, or leaving on a burner non-ignited, or forgetting the hood extractor fan, etc. It's too quick to boil water and heat to the desired temperature that I just can't give that up.