• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2018 2:17 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1337 posts
396 upvotes
Ottawa
You need to compare apple to apple. Most people say induction is faster because they are comparing it to their electric stove. A higher end gas range can boil just as fast if not faster since you can use a much bigger pot/pan.

If you consider cooking is a chore then an induction stove is the way to go.

If you enjoy cooking a (higher end) gas range can't be beat. You get much better control in simmering. I also have the same experience with Brian, that pressure cooker doesn't work well on induction stove. Basically anything that requires fine control of the temperature is tricky on an induction stove. Not to mention that you have much more flexible in choosing your pots and pans.

Of course you can also have your cake and eat it too if you get a gas stove top with an induction add-on.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
1223 posts
121 upvotes
Another vote for induction. Easy cleaning up and fast heat. I have a Thermador Freedom. Allows to use pots of any size and place them however you want.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 12:43 pm
General question: why are all high end homes gas. Never see induction.
Usually due to fashion or status.
Gas does allow very good control of the heat but if you don't know what to do with that control then it is useless.
I went from Gas to electric for 3 reasons. Because open flame + kids
Because kids that can turn on a stove without it lighting = bad.
Because the exhaust from a gas stove is not health. That is right, it isn't please don't go on about vents taking care of that because they don't the person cooking is still sucking that in and most fans don't do a good job

Induction stoves bring EMF to mind. A lot of EMF. If the instructions for placing the pot or pan are not followed exactly then a lot more EMF comes to mind.

So call me whatever I will stick with electric for now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5376 posts
984 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
i think this trend is changing. Wolf just only recently started making an induction cooktop oven combo.

We have induction as of this summer. Would never go back to gas. the smells/exhaust fumes/cleaning of gas is a nightmare compared to now when I wipe and it looks brand new.

Much better heat response too.
Mar 24, 2015
874 posts
282 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We had an electric stove before and wanted to get an induction stove when we bought our new house but it already had a gas stove. We decided to use it for a while and see how it goes. I absolutely love it. I love cooking especially with the wok and pressure cooker and I can control the heat better. The gas stove is more of a pain to clean but I don't mind that,
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5641 posts
1908 upvotes
Aurora
Why choose. Get both. Gas stovetop for stir frying and wok use plus portable induction single buring cooktop.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
I'd never ever go back to induction after my gas stove. It's much much faster and easier to control a steady heat.
Jun 19, 2007
183 posts
56 upvotes
Mississauga
Went with induction (Samsung Chef collection) a year ago and laughing.
Family of five: Two adults, teenager, six-grader, preschool.
We cook from scratch everything: (baking own bread too, just to give a perspective).
The stove is always spotless clean because nothing burns in to it, induction field acts upon a skillet or pot and only some of that heat transferred to the stove top.
Heats up quickly.
Somebody says that gas stove has better controls: we never had issues tuning the heat.
Otherwise the stove is just as good as any other stove of your preference.

Simple comparison:
a)
  • Induction field directly heats cooking medium
  • VS gas range heats air, some of hot air heats medium and the rest escapes up the went
  • VS Electric stove heats element, element heats stove top glass, stove top glass heats medium (some direct IR transfer to medium with losses in all directions from heating element)
b) Gas range has been linked to developmental issues in children (believe it or not it is a direct source of CO2 emission right in the middle of your house, no one is insane enough to run their car idle in the house even with a power went on).

With that said, we secretly cringe every time seeing people still struggling with gas or electric stoves.

Mind you , nothing can impress your friends more than a shiny 6 burner Wolf unless they went induction :)
Hope it helps.
Last edited by allanbradl on Oct 28th, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1045 posts
521 upvotes
ottawa
tomtomtom wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 2:02 pm
EP32k2 wrote:
That's because those high end home isn't high end enough. (J/K)

Induction only got popular in the last 5 years or so. The technology has not proven its reliability just yet. Give it another 5 years, things will change slowly.

I have used both gas and induction, and prefer gas for the following reasons
- work during power outage
- excellent heat control
- cheap to operate
- flexible cookware selection

With that being said, I am swearing by my induction hotplate for my hotpot.
I just wanted to play devil's advocate here, induction is actually relatively cheap as there's almost no heat loss since the heat is dispersed straight into the pan itself. Likewise, gas is actually the least efficient in terms of getting heat into the pan itself, so if in the summer time you'll have to compensate with a lot more air conditioning, so tit for tat, in the winter you'd need less heating I guess. Also, I have amazing heat control with induction, either up or down. I agree on the cookware, although almost everything is induction compatible lately if you buy new. Work during a power outage is something I never thought of, but I have a power outage maybe once a year, I think I can just do take out and keep my fridge locked shut to hold the cold in!
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1258 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
I have gas, coming from smooth electric range.... we absolutely love gas! but be sure if you go w/ gas, go w/ at least 2 burner w/ high BTU (over 17k btu), my GE cafe comes w/ a 17k and a 21k that i used frequently. the other 3 burners are 8k, 9k and 5k which i hardly use.

however, my next kitchen reno, i will definetly look into this...

http://ca.bertazzoni.com/products/profe ... tion-zones
Professional Series
36 Segmented Cooktop 3-burner and 2 induction zones
PM363I0X
Bertazzoni Design Series segmented cooktops have different combinations of gas, griddle and two-zone induction cooking in three 12 inch (30cm) segments. The combinations are factory assembled for a seamless cooktop with a single cut-out for ease of installation.
This model has a versatile dual-burner segment on the left, a segment with rapid and semi-rapid burners in the middle, and a two-zone induction top on the right. The distinctive gas burners are manufactured in solid brass.
The low-profile design fits the standard cut-out a 36 inch cooktop. It has been developed so that it also matches Bertazzoni Professional Series appliances.
Accessories include wok ring adapter.
All Bertazzoni appliances integrate seamlessly with each other and with the kitchen cabinetry and countertops.
Products and packaging are 99% recyclable. GREEN FEATURE
Click For More
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2454 posts
702 upvotes
Windsor
I have electric, and it's absolutely brutal; not only is my range electric, but it's the glass top kind, which is the worst of all worlds.

Anyhow, I have been shopping for a stove for a while, and I've landed on gas for a few simple reasons; basically nothing to fail (minus the timing circuits, which I don't really care about), free convection oven, and cheaper initial cost. Plus, I don't have to re-buy $2k in pots, plus most cookware I personally like (ceramic) obviously don't work on induction ranges.

As well, induction ranges come in two different (generally) kinds; one that requires an actual oven socket (these are really nice), and ones that plug into a normal wall socket (they're basically as garbage as the one I currently have).

Main advantage of an induction range is if you have kids who refuse to learn not to touch hot things (one of my sister's kids is like this; he's been burned like 15 times by the range), or if you really value the speed at which you can get things hot (it's pretty dramatic; maybe half the time). Induction is much more efficient BTU wise than gas for heating, but electricity costs a lot more per BTU, so I think it's probably about even.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3143 posts
461 upvotes
I find that funny, how can anyone go and say that induction is hard to control steady temps. My samsung range which is controlled via a panel at the front of the glass cooktop and has never given me any issues.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1152 posts
417 upvotes
Induction is great because of the ease of cleanup, efficiency and control. My only issue with induction is the limited selection of pots/pans (including non-stick) and the fact that the controller dials back the power. If I have 1 hob on high, after a certain time the power goes down (i assume to prevent overheating). Or if I have 1 hob on high, and then i put something else on the 2nd hob on the same side, power is reduced to the first hob. Using 2 hobs (one on each side) is fine as long as both are not on high. If you try to use 2 hobs on the same side, then cooking becomes slow.

Induction has its limitations.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15948 posts
5201 upvotes
induction

/end thread
In Japan, the hand can be used like a knife.
But this method doesn't work with a tomato...
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15948 posts
5201 upvotes
j/k
no gas air quality concerns, quick heating (i have gas now, slow to heat), easy cleanup, less mess
In Japan, the hand can be used like a knife.
But this method doesn't work with a tomato...