Induction or Gas range?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2018 2:17 pm
Tags:
May 21, 2015
735 posts
342 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
There are some hybrid type induction stoves by samsung and others that have just 2 or 3 induction burners, the 3 and/or 4th are regular electric.. I'd be looking at those because it's seldom we use more than 2 burners at a time and having the option of a regular burner lets you keep and cook with your non-induction cookware, like ceramic, aluminum etc.
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3510 posts
1496 upvotes
ckay1980 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2016 1:15 pm
Do people actually wait by the stove and watch the water come to boil? I do other things during that time and I'm sure a lot of other people too. You can also watch TV! :p
Apparently this is what barqers does ... probably watches paint dry and watches the laundry go around and around in the dryer till it's dry as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3141 posts
460 upvotes
pootza wrote:
Oct 29th, 2016 11:52 am
azn_dan wrote:
Oct 29th, 2016 11:29 am
Time is something you don't get back and I guess if you don't care about wasting it on taking longer to cook things then by all means stick to old technology.
You seem to enjoy watching TV which a lot feel is wasting time .. time which you'll never get back.
I'd rather be watching TV then waiting around on an inefficient range to get to temp. If inefficiency is a positive feature then by all means go for it.
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3510 posts
1496 upvotes
azn_dan wrote:
Oct 29th, 2016 9:14 pm
I'd rather be watching TV then waiting around on an inefficient range to get to temp. If inefficiency is a positive feature then by all means go for it.
pootza wrote:
Oct 29th, 2016 12:20 pm
I have never made mention of either induction or gas.
I know that reading comprehension is a problem but try to understand what you are reading.
I know that reading comprehension is a problem but try to understand what you are reading.

I never did like repeating myself but sometimes you just have to for the ones with the reading comprehension problems.

I just found it kind of funny that a guy who wastes time watching TV can be critical of others wasting time.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1038 posts
521 upvotes
ottawa
pootza wrote:
barqers wrote:
Oct 29th, 2016 12:10 pm
pootza wrote:

You seem to enjoy watching TV which a lot feel is wasting time .. time which you'll never get back.
There's a difference between sitting and watching entertainment and sitting and watching water come to a boil. Without a question induction is insanely more efficient than gas, so if that's what you want to debate you'll lose heavily.

Likewise, the link of EMF to cancer/etc is not verifiable yet, and personally I have a hard time seeing it as that bad, but then again if you're all saying go gas instead of induction for safety reasons, keep in mind not all of the gas coming out of the range is burned, and you're breathing some of that in, so which is worse? Not sure, if you're here for safety paranoia go regular electric then where neither of these issues are present.
Wasn't mentioning that to you, but anyways. I think you're a little judgemental with your comment about TVs.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3141 posts
460 upvotes
pootza wrote:
Oct 29th, 2016 9:44 pm
azn_dan wrote:
pootza wrote:

I never did like repeating myself but sometimes you just have to for the ones with the reading comprehension problems.

I just found it kind of funny that a guy who wastes time watching TV can be critical of others wasting time.
Ohhh I get it, I forgot to ignore some of the trolls that lurk here.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
azn_dan wrote:
Oct 29th, 2016 11:29 am
akswun wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 4:58 pm

Time is something you don't get back and I guess if you don't care about wasting it on taking longer to cook things then by all means stick to old technology.
azn_dan wrote:
pootza wrote:

Call me slow if you like but I don't see how any significant time is being saved. Things cook at the speed they cook can can't be rushed.

The only thing that can be done faster is boiling water and if that is a concern then we would be seeing people using several pans to boil water and then pouring them in to a pot instead of just waiting for the pot to boil.
Control is important for those that are good at cooking and those that are enjoy it and the ritual of cooking a meal is relaxing and causally waiting is part of that.

Anyways from a purely functional point of view induction is better. Less mess, reduced fire hazard and slightly faster response.
Not all gas stoves work in a power outage but some do I suppose.
Last edited by tungustungus on Oct 30th, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1385 posts
460 upvotes
London
We absolutely love our Samsung induction range. Just a reminder if you are considering a Samsung, there is a free cookware offer, but it expires tomorrow (Monday). We took advantage of it.

http://www.hapromos.ca/
Jan 11, 2004
214 posts
128 upvotes
How is the durability of the induction cooktop of the ranges? I'm leaning towards gas because it doesn't have a glass top. I'm concerned about breaking or scratching the glass with cast iron pots and/or not being careful placing heavy pots etc.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11996 posts
11772 upvotes
Oakville
johnas wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 2:39 pm
How is the durability of the induction cooktop of the ranges? I'm leaning towards gas because it doesn't have a glass top. I'm concerned about breaking or scratching the glass with cast iron pots and/or not being careful placing heavy pots etc.
I've never seen a broken glass cooktop. You'd have to be pretty careless to break one. You'd probably be damaging a gas range as well if you're smashing pots on the range.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15939 posts
5196 upvotes
johnas wrote:
Unless you intentionally take a hammer to it you wont have a problem
All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3510 posts
1496 upvotes
How to Prevent Breaking or Damaging your Cooktop

A broken induction cooktop, either cracked or shattered, cannot be repaired. It must be replaced. As we aim to keep our Home-Tech customers happy, we think you will enjoy some recommendations from our friends at KitchenAid.

Avoid storing jars or cans above the cooktop. Dropping a heavy or hard object onto the cooktop could crack the glass.
Do not leave a hot lid on the cooktop. As the cooktop cools, air can become trapped between the lid and the cooktop, and the ceramic glass could break when the lid is removed.
For foods containing sugar in any form, clean up all spills and soils as soon as possible. Allow the cooktop to cool down slightly. Then, while wearing oven mitts, remove the spills while the surface is still warm. If sugary spills are allowed to cool down, they can adhere to the cooktop and can cause pitting and permanent marks.
To avoid scratches, do not slide cookware or bakeware across the cooktop.
Do not allow objects that could melt, such as plastic or aluminum foil, to touch any part of the entire cooktop.
Do not use the cooktop as a cutting board.
Use cookware about the same size as the surface cooking area. Cookware should not extend more than ½” (1.3 cm) outside the area.
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3510 posts
1496 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 3:54 pm
johnas wrote:
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/housekeepin ... on-hob-Sad
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15939 posts
5196 upvotes
pootza wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 4:18 pm
Quentin5 wrote:
johnas wrote:
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/housekeepin ... on-hob-Sad
Stop the presses, someone somewhere in the world broke something made of glass :rolleyes:
Something with the force of a hammer strike sounds like it was involved. This sounds familiar Face Screaming In Fear
I suggest putting together a debate, we can have Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton spar over the correct policy to address this earth shattering development Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Somehow no one i know with a glass cooktop has had a breaking problem with it
Last edited by Quentin5 on Oct 30th, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3510 posts
1496 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
johnas wrote:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/22 ... ctrocution