15041 posts
4338 upvotes
pootza wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 4:33 pm
Quentin5 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 3:54 pm
johnas wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 2:39 pm
How is the durability of the induction cooktop of the ranges? I'm leaning towards gas because it doesn't have a glass top. I'm concerned about breaking or scratching the glass with cast iron pots and/or not being careful placing heavy pots etc.
Unless you intentionally take a hammer to it you wont have a problem
http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/22 ... ctrocution
This is even more earth shattering, you shouldn't use a broken appliance with exposed wires because you might get electrocuted. :facepalm:
I think we should ban electricity because people like you lack common sense. :twisted:
Is a padded room safe enough for you? Of course it will have no windows Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Last edited by Quentin5 on Oct 30th, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3035 posts
1324 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
johnas wrote:
How is the durability of the induction cooktop of the ranges? I'm leaning towards gas because it doesn't have a glass top. I'm concerned about breaking or scratching the glass with cast iron pots and/or not being careful placing heavy pots etc.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 555AAfZCeb
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15041 posts
4338 upvotes
pootza wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 4:43 pm
Quentin5 wrote:
johnas wrote:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 555AAfZCeb
So your determined to prove that glass can be broken
Well duh :rolleyes:
Jan 11, 2004
209 posts
121 upvotes
I've read conflicting opinions of the durability (but usually referencing non induction), scratching and breaking.

But I have no first hand experience using a glass top. I've been using an old coil range for some time, but looking to upgrade.

I'm not talking of smashing pots onto the surface, more along the lines it isn't easy to move a 24 liter pressure canner gently.

Many reviews are of new owners who have used it a couple of weeks or owners who smashed the top through user error.

So do these cookers still look and work OK after daily use over 5-10 years?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3686 posts
578 upvotes
johnas wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 6:10 pm
I've read conflicting opinions of the durability (but usually referencing non induction), scratching and breaking.

But I have no first hand experience using a glass top. I've been using an old coil range for some time, but looking to upgrade.

I'm not talking of smashing pots onto the surface, more along the lines it isn't easy to move a 24 liter pressure canner gently.

Many reviews are of new owners who have used it a couple of weeks or owners who smashed the top through user error.

I used a glass cooktop, not induction, daily for 8 years and never had single scratch on it and things were accidentally dropped on it over the years.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15041 posts
4338 upvotes
swales wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 6:29 pm
johnas wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 6:10 pm

I used a glass cooktop, not induction, daily for 8 years and never had single scratch on it and things were accidentally dropped on it over the years.
One of the places i lived as a kid had a glass cooktop built into the island, no cracks still worked great, i'm assuming it was 1960-70s from the style and age of other appliances (the off green enamel coloured dishwasher still worked 30 years later, if not well)
Feb 25, 2015
352 posts
117 upvotes
ON
We've had our Electrolux induction since 2008. No problems or scratches. Auto shutoff is nice.
Nov 7, 2012
809 posts
308 upvotes
TORONTO
Gas vs. Induction.... the home owners PC vs. Mac debacle.

Again, personally, I like my gas stove. Personally, I think it gets hot really fast that I don't even notice if I'm wasting any time. I'm busy prepping other things, but I have about 5 years as a cook under my belt, so I'm pretty efficient with my cooking. I don't think it's a case of what gets hotter faster. Getting your pots and pans hot faster isn't going to make you a better cook. Time management, multi tasking and experience does.

Having the 'better' stove/oven is totally subjective. Arguing over minute differences is idiotic. Citing various internet links that are obviously biased isn't helping the situation. My personal pros may be the other guys cons. I know OP has gotten more than his/her share of information. Just take it with a grain of salt.

OP... look at your kitchen, look at the design, see what appliances will match your decor. Be it gas/electric/induction, either way you will have something new that will cook food. If anything people should be suggesting brands to avoid.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3001 posts
359 upvotes
akswun wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 9:28 am

Again, personally, I like my gas stove. Personally, I think it gets hot really fast that I don't even notice if I'm wasting any time. I'm busy prepping other things, but I have about 5 years as a cook under my belt, so I'm pretty efficient with my cooking. I don't think it's a case of what gets hotter faster. Getting your pots and pans hot faster isn't going to make you a better cook. Time management, multi tasking and experience does.

Having the 'better' stove/oven is totally subjective. Arguing over minute differences is idiotic. Citing various internet links that are obviously biased isn't helping the situation. My personal pros may be the other guys cons. I know OP has gotten more than his/her share of information. Just take it with a grain of salt.

OP... look at your kitchen, look at the design, see what appliances will match your decor. Be it gas/electric/induction, either way you will have something new that will cook food. If anything people should be suggesting brands to avoid.
Definitely agree, it all boils down to personal choice and of course anyone can buy whatever suits their needs. The pros and cons of induction vs gas were being discussed until we had a couple of trolls bust into the thread and derail the whole thing.

I am sure the OP got more than he bargained for. A wealth of information and alot of non sense to go along with it.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15041 posts
4338 upvotes
azn_dan wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 10:05 am
akswun wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 9:28 am

until we had a couple of trolls bust into the thread and derail the whole thing.

I hate that too, they seem to enjoy the attention and ability to insult others.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2657 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
We had gas in our previous home and went with induction in the current one. As far as we're concerned, there are pros and cons to each and neither is perfect. I will say though that we'd probably lean slightly towards induction for our next stove as it generates less wasted heat, we find it easier to clean up the smooth top of the range, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5720 posts
1308 upvotes
Markham
Anyone know of a induction range with downdraft venting in the middle....this would be ideal to replace those bad JennAire gas units with downdraft in the middle.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3686 posts
578 upvotes
Thanks to everyone for their feedback, it's been helpful.

Who knew some people felt so strongly about particular cooktops :)
Jun 11, 2010
906 posts
477 upvotes
ottawa
swales wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 1:12 pm
Thanks to everyone for their feedback, it's been helpful.

Who knew some people felt so strongly about particular cooktops :)
You start to love what you have :)

That being said, either option will allow you to cook food pretty effortlessly, we're all arguing over minute differences which in the end won't seriously change how your food is, the biggest driver is how good the cook is! Haha.