Home & Garden

Induction or Gas range?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 8:14 am
Tags:
Sep 12, 2017
925 posts
72 upvotes
Bringing back an older debate, lots of great info here.
barqers wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 10:16 am
Only downside is keep your pans well maintained, don't thermal shock them, because if they start to warp they won't work on the cooktop anymore since the bottom needs to be flat to work properly. Also, at least on my cooktop, you have to use the small pots on the small zones as a small pot won't work on a larger zone unless you have a 'multi size' zone, which is what I would look for if I were you, having at least 1 or 2 of those in case you want many small pots at once. Likewise, the larger pots won't work on a smaller zone unlike any other type of cooktop. So depends what needs you have in the kitchen, but I thoroughly promote it.
Are you referring to a Samsung rage, I'm looing at potentially buying the following: NE58K9560WS. Would suck if one can't use larger pots on smaller sized burners (hobs)

allanbradl wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 8:34 am
b) Gas range has been linked to developmental issues in children (believe it or not it is a direct source of CO2 emission right in the middle of your house, no one is insane enough to run their car idle in the house even with a power went on).
How much gas actually escapes and it not burned up? Do you always have to to have the range-hood on when cooking with gas?
ziaa wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 1:24 pm
Induction is great because of the ease of cleanup, efficiency and control. My only issue with induction is the limited selection of pots/pans (including non-stick) and the fact that the controller dials back the power. If I have 1 hob on high, after a certain time the power goes down (i assume to prevent overheating). Or if I have 1 hob on high, and then i put something else on the 2nd hob on the same side, power is reduced to the first hob. Using 2 hobs (one on each side) is fine as long as both are not on high. If you try to use 2 hobs on the same side, then cooking becomes slow.
Does the same thing occur on a Samsung range? Referring to:NE58K9560WS
Drakestar wrote:
Oct 30th, 2016 12:16 pm
We absolutely love our Samsung induction range. Just a reminder if you are considering a Samsung, there is a free cookware offer, but it expires tomorrow (Monday). We took advantage of it.

http://www.hapromos.ca/
Seems to be still active will have to take into account.

Also for induction did anyone actually measure the EMF coming off the range? I'd be specifically concerned with the southern regions while standing next to the range.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7561 posts
5875 upvotes
Oakville
reggyDeal wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 12:06 am
Also for induction did anyone actually measure the EMF coming off the range? I'd be specifically concerned with the southern regions while standing next to the range.
I've seen warnings that say not stand in front of an induction stove if you are pregnant.
Sep 12, 2017
925 posts
72 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 12:12 am
I've seen warnings that say not stand in front of an induction stove if you are pregnant.
Seems electric stoves suffer to EMF as do induction. So whats worse EMF or CO2, lol :).

Youtube video testing EMF, test starts at 5 minutes: Electrical Stove EMF Measurement From the comments section, one person said the following: " I have a gas range and oven that also gives off a very high emf of over on 100 on my trifield meter." Guess you can't win with EMF, so induction may be the way to go. At least with induction you'll avoid CO2 poisoning your homes air.

Anyone out there selling EMF blocking aprons? lol
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1106 posts
312 upvotes
London
We’ve had the repair guy out three times for our Samsung. The induction is awesome. The oven portion doesn’t keep temp. I would avoid.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7561 posts
5875 upvotes
Oakville
reggyDeal wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 1:08 am
Seems electric stoves suffer to EMF as do induction. So whats worse EMF or CO2, lol :).

Youtube video testing EMF, test starts at 5 minutes: Electrical Stove EMF Measurement From the comments section, one person said the following: " I have a gas range and oven that also gives off a very high emf of over on 100 on my trifield meter." Guess you can't win with EMF, so induction may be the way to go. At least with induction you'll avoid CO2 poisoning your homes air.

Anyone out there selling EMF blocking aprons? lol
I don't think that guy knows what he's doing.
He's measuring magnetic field when he should be on electronic or radio (from what I understand).
Also critical is the range. You need to measure where you're actually standing, not right on top of the element, as the strength drop off exponentially.
Induction definitely puts it more EMF, enough to be high even where you stand in front of the stove.
That's because almost 100% of the energy is EMF, where a standard electric stove is almost 100% thermal radiation, which is why induction doesn't get hot without the pan there.
Jun 11, 2010
680 posts
347 upvotes
ottawa
reggyDeal wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 12:06 am
Bringing back an older debate, lots of great info here.
Are you referring to a Samsung rage, I'm looing at potentially buying the following: NE58K9560WS. Would suck if one can't use larger pots on smaller sized burners (hobs)
Hey that looks like a great range. From some of the pictures I can't tell if it has the variable size induction zones. Ex. mine has a zone that can accommodate a small pot up to a large stock pot. The other 3 are more 'fixed' size. While fixed sized means you can't use a smaller or bigger pan, it's relatively accommodating as I get away with a pot that's either 1/3 too small or too big and it still works. Sometimes with a smaller pot you will get an annoying buzzing sound though to keep in mind. Hope this helps :)
Sep 12, 2017
925 posts
72 upvotes
Drakestar wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 8:09 am
We’ve had the repair guy out three times for our Samsung. The induction is awesome. The oven portion doesn’t keep temp. I would avoid.
Wonder if all samsungs are like that, or are you only experiencing that issue? Which range do you have the NE58K9560WS or the chef collection: NE58H9970WS?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1106 posts
312 upvotes
London
reggyDeal wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 11:37 am
Wonder if all samsungs are like that, or are you only experiencing that issue? Which range do you have the NE58K9560WS or the chef collection: NE58H9970WS?
I have the chef collection 70ws. There are lots of reports with the same issue. They have replaced both sensors and both fans so far. I hope that something else goes wrong so I can return the thing and get all my money back (lowes extended warranty).
Sep 12, 2017
925 posts
72 upvotes
Drakestar wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 11:42 am
I have the chef collection 70ws. There are lots of reports with the same issue. They have replaced both sensors and both fans so far. I hope that something else goes wrong so I can return the thing and get all my money back (lowes extended warranty).
If you were to buy again what brand of induction would you get, within the same price range. LG?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1106 posts
312 upvotes
London
reggyDeal wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 12:47 pm
If you were to buy again what brand of induction would you get, within the same price range. LG?
I don’t really know. Now that we have been in our new house for a year and a half and all those new house expenses have been taken care of, we might move up if we get refunded. We saw a lovely fisher and paykel one, but iirc the price was steep.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1106 posts
312 upvotes
London
Also, make sure you have the correct amp wiring for induction.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12547 posts
3080 upvotes
Here 'n There
swales wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 9:13 am
Hey

Building a new kitchen and trying to decide between getting an induction or gas range, does anyone here use an induction range or cook top? How do you like it? Did you have gas before?

Thanks
I have a stand alone Wolf dual fuel gas cooktop electric oven combo. The oven is great as electric provide the most even heat. However the gas cooktop is a real pain to clean. I am replacing the cooktop with an induction cooktop and adding a built-in steam oven at waist/shoulder height which will be much more convenient than bending down all the time to use the oven I know chefs that have switched to induction and love it. Personal preference of course.
May 15, 2015
70 posts
12 upvotes
GTA
I've had both and currently have induction. I miss holding a pan to toss things over a flame, I can't do it with my induction. If I had to redo another kitchen, I'd consider having both. I can't really decide which is better. My biggest benefit now is that I can reheat something like soup in 1 minute with the induction if the kids are losing it from going hangry.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7561 posts
5875 upvotes
Oakville
I've had both and gas is great but it's soooo much harder to clean than a flat top electric range.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9381 posts
1639 upvotes
Montréal
I've had both but I'm no foodie and induction is hands-down the best for convenience/efficiency/safety...but no idea about the EMF thing. All I remember are the TVB soap operas that if you wanna kill somebody, just switch on their gas stove and flood their apt w/ gas lol.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>