Induction or Gas range?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2018 2:17 pm
Tags:
Sep 1, 2015
135 posts
47 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
induction is easiest to clean, I put a silicon baking mat between cooktop and cookware, only need to wash the baking mat once few weeks.
The cook top itself always looks like fresh new
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15041 posts
4338 upvotes
finnoob wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 1:14 pm
induction is easiest to clean, I put a silicon baking mat between cooktop and cookware, only need to wash the baking mat once few weeks.
The cook top itself always looks like fresh new
Indeed, i tried to clean my gas unit, tried being the key word...
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1170 posts
329 upvotes
London
Just a followup about our Samsung NE58H9970WS. Tomorrow they are coming for a fourth visit. This time is diagnostic only to confirm that our problem has not been corrected. Lowes will then send us a couple gift cards totally about $3300 to buy something else. So disappointed that we spent all this time and money to end up nowhere. I’ll also have to fork out for another extended warranty.

We’ll probably go for the Kitchenaid this time around.
Dec 17, 2015
349 posts
109 upvotes
York, ON
We renovated our kitchen last fall and added GE profile gas range. I chose this route as opposed to induction range as worst case scenario, power outage, I can at least use the gas range, mind you need a lighter as a starter. We’ve had 3 power outages this year and my neighbor had to get a hotel room or stay at families. We were able to have a hot shower, thanks to gas water heater with built in piezo lighter, and able to boil water for tea or cook/reheat meals thanks to gas range. Yes we had to crack open window to prevent CO poisoning. If I had to choose again, I’d choose gas range again.

No need to worry about hydro peak savers rates charging fees in red zone for peak hours when I get home early to start making dinner.

First thing I noticed was our hydro bill dropped significantly after switching to gas. And hydro bill didn’t go up by much. I am not on equal payment cycle with hydro or enbridge.

For me it made sense. To those who want induction sure, it cooks faster, but you will pay more in utilities. Whether it breaks faster than a gas range, who knows. I went gas for peace in mind knowing I can use it when there’s no power.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1548 posts
309 upvotes
Costco currently has a road show selling "Pink" . You will be blown with the results without doing any hard work.
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 10:31 pm
Indeed, i tried to clean my gas unit, tried being the key word...
A fine is a tax for doing wrong .
A tax is a fine for doing right .
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1548 posts
309 upvotes
Thats a very good point. However, there are many new Gas stoves that won't work if there is no electricity ( especially the ones that have electronic gas lock up feature ) so keep an eye on it while selecting gas stoves if you absolutely need gas stove to function when Hydro is out.
Alex360 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 7:58 am
We renovated our kitchen last fall and added GE profile gas range. I chose this route as opposed to induction range as worst case scenario, power outage, I can at least use the gas range, mind you need a lighter as a starter. We’ve had 3 power outages this year and my neighbor had to get a hotel room or stay at families. We were able to have a hot shower, thanks to gas water heater with built in piezo lighter, and able to boil water for tea or cook/reheat meals thanks to gas range. Yes we had to crack open window to prevent CO poisoning. If I had to choose again, I’d choose gas range again.

No need to worry about hydro peak savers rates charging fees in red zone for peak hours when I get home early to start making dinner.

First thing I noticed was our hydro bill dropped significantly after switching to gas. And hydro bill didn’t go up by much. I am not on equal payment cycle with hydro or enbridge.

For me it made sense. To those who want induction sure, it cooks faster, but you will pay more in utilities. Whether it breaks faster than a gas range, who knows. I went gas for peace in mind knowing I can use it when there’s no power.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15041 posts
4338 upvotes
newlyborn wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 11:44 am
Costco currently has a road show selling "Pink" . You will be blown with the results without doing any hard work.
Please tell me it does not contain pink slime Astonished Face

What is a Costco road show, a booth in the store or something?
Does it have free samples (that they explain very carefully to people not to eat)?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15041 posts
4338 upvotes
Alex360 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 7:58 am
I went gas for peace in mind knowing I can use it when there’s no power.
You know i imagine people used to say this about ice blocks before compressor fridge's/freezers took over. Ditto for wood/propane/oil burning furnaces going to natural gas, you already have weeks/months/entire year of fuel on site, natural gas could stop flowing in an emergency or need electricity.
Mar 24, 2015
793 posts
212 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
After 54 hours of no electricity after the tornado, happy we have a gas stove. We were able to cook, reheat food, make tea, heat water for bath. We were going to change it to induction when we moved in but decided to keep it and we bought a separate induction single unit that we use as well.
We had no power for 8hrs on Christmas eve about 2yrs ago and we were having guests over for dinner, and there were other occasions as well when we were happy we kept the gas stove :)
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
1912 posts
552 upvotes
Edmonton
Gas. Gas. Gas. Find one that operates without external power
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Dec 17, 2015
349 posts
109 upvotes
York, ON
I do have an induction hot plate, believe it’s a salton brand. I use it mainly for hotpot with family dinners. Used to use butane cans for hotpot but found I didn’t want to open the windows in winter to avoid CO poisoning.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1548 posts
309 upvotes
Sorry for my assumptions that Costco roadshow is well-known term. It is a temporary booth that is setup at various Costco locations and generally run up to two weeks.
You get to enjoy extra discounts than what manufacturer offers online or via other stores besides fantastic Costco money back guarantee.
I am not sure if contains slime, but the manufacturer claims that it is chemical free and completely harmless. What else that the salesperson demonstrated / proved it by drinking it a little.
Quentin5 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 10:25 pm
Please tell me it does not contain pink slime Astonished Face

What is a Costco road show, a booth in the store or something?
Does it have free samples (that they explain very carefully to people not to eat)?
Oct 14, 2007
170 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
Drakestar wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 8:09 am
We’ve had the repair guy out three times for our Samsung. The induction is awesome. The oven portion doesn’t keep temp. I would avoid.
Just purchased same induction range a few months ago. Can you further explain how the oven doesn't keep the temperature? Mine is doing the same but support is saying I need to calibrate the temperature. If I bake multiple batches of cookies for example the display with show the temperature at 325 degrees but it isn't. If I turn the oven off, then immediately back on, the temperature shows a lower temperature for example 275 degrees. Is this the same issue you had?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15041 posts
4338 upvotes
newlyborn wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 9:07 am
Sorry for my assumptions that Costco roadshow is well-known term. It is a temporary booth that is setup at various Costco locations and generally run up to two weeks.
You get to enjoy extra discounts than what manufacturer offers online or via other stores besides fantastic Costco money back guarantee.
Okay that makes sense.
I am not sure if contains slime, but the manufacturer claims that it is chemical free and completely harmless. What else that the salesperson demonstrated / proved it by drinking it a little.
Thats interesting but drinking a cleaning product seems far fetched, and if a little is okay then more would be better Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)