Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1170 posts
329 upvotes
London
shepkraft wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 11:01 pm
Just purchased same induction range a few months ago. Can you further explain how the oven doesn't keep the temperature? Mine is doing the same but support is saying I need to calibrate the temperature. If I bake multiple batches of cookies for example the display with show the temperature at 325 degrees but it isn't. If I turn the oven off, then immediately back on, the temperature shows a lower temperature for example 275 degrees. Is this the same issue you had?
I am so sorry you bought this range. I don’t know if you read my previous posts or not. We bought it at Lowes with the four year extended warranty, thank God. Four service visits (7 visits total, one to diagnose and get parts/approval, one for repair each of the first three times).
1. Replace a sensor
2. Replace both sensors (including the first one) and fans
3. Replace both sensors again (third time for the one) and control panel.
4. Final diagnosis visit this week.

Lowes is sending us $3300 in gift cards apparently. If you have the warranty watch the time limits. The newer warranty (Lowes) states all repairs must be within a year.

You can calibrate it 25 degrees either way. This did not help. Out temperature fluctuations were totally random regardless of setting (chef, convection). This is what we think the problem is...
Preheat oven to 400. Open door to put food in (temp drops). Open door to check food (temp drops). Oven is now at 300. Oven never reaches 400 again. So we think that the oven reaches 400 and then the sensor reads that the temp has dropped when the oven is opened and sends the info to the panel. The panel just ignores the message and does not turn the element back on and just keeps it at 300. Type in 401 and it shows 300 and ‘preheating’. Incredibly frustrating.
We used a thermometre inside the oven and made a record of the set vs actual temp.
We dealt with this for 14 months (partly because we were busy). Our range is now 27 months old. My wife bakes bread, so temp makes a difference. The spec sheet from the website (print it out before it is gone) talks about precision baking. Hold them to this.
Search around there are many complaints about this issue.

We LOVE the induction which is ironically the reason we bought the $289 warranty (includes fridge).
Last edited by Drakestar on Oct 4th, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10713 posts
313 upvotes
tungustungus wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 6:55 pm
Induction stoves bring EMF to mind. A lot of EMF. If the instructions for placing the pot or pan are not followed exactly then a lot more EMF comes to mind.
When you say EMF, are you talking about evil spirits entering the food due to the effect of EMF on food particles?
Oct 14, 2007
170 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for your reply - It sounds like we are experiencing the same problem. We bought from an appliance store named Appliance Canada in Mississauga. I have tried contacting Samsung support but they were useless. Would I be better off asking the store we bought from to help with Samsung support?
We didn't buy extended warranty but have only had since June of this year.

We bought this model because of the induction as well as the fact that this model covers the counter surface - instead of a gap between the stove and the counter.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3076 posts
621 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Drakestar wrote:
Sep 28th, 2018 7:51 am
I am so sorry you bought this range. I don’t know if you read my previous posts or not. We bought it at Lowes with the four year extended warranty, thank God. Four service visits (7 visits total, one to diagnose and get parts/approval, one for repair each of the first three times).
1. Replace a sensor
2. Replace both sensors (including the first one)
3. Replace both sensors again (third time for the one) and control panel.
4. Final diagnosis visit this week.

Lowes is sending us $3300 in gift cards apparently. If you have the warranty watch the time limits. The newer warranty (Lowes) states all repairs must be within a year.

You can calibrate it 25 degrees either way. This did not help. Out temperature fluctuations were totally random regardless of setting (chef, convection). This is what we think the problem is...
Preheat oven to 400. Open door to put food in (temp drops). Open door to check food (temp drops). Oven is now at 300. Oven never reaches 400 again. So we think that the oven reaches 400 and then the sensor reads that the temp has dropped when the oven is opened and sends the info to the panel. The panel just ignores the message and does not turn the element back on and just keeps it at 300. Type in 401 and it shows 300 and ‘preheating’. Incredibly frustrating.
We used a thermometre inside the oven and made a record of the set vs actual temp.
We dealt with this for 14 months (partly because we were busy). Our range is now 27 months old. My wife bakes bread, so temp makes a difference. The spec sheet from the website (print it out before it is gone) talks about precision baking. Hold them to this.
Search around there are many complaints about this issue.

We LOVE the induction which is ironically the reason we bought the $289 warranty (includes fridge).
I have the samsung chefs collection NE58H9970WS/AC for the past 3 years. Induction is amazing. Will never go back to electric.

We had a similar problem. Was wondering why our baking always seemed to take so long and eventually put a high quality (thermoworks) thermometer in oven cavity to confirm.

The main problem with the oven is that after it reaches it's set point it seems to not be able to raise the temperature again afterwards. So every time you open the door it lowers the temperature. if the thing you put in is cold it further lowers the temperature. the display on the oven doesn't change though so you are unaware of this. However if you retype you desired temperature it will re-sample the temp and discover that it is too low. Then it will go ahead and raise the temperature back up.

So my method of operation.
1. preheat to 400. oven beeps.
2. open door and put in food. retype 400. oven thinks, says it's currently at 350, and raises back to 400.
3. as long as you don't open the door it holds a steady 400 according to my other thermometer.
3b. Note: if the thing you put in was something really big like a turkey, it's possible that after it gets back up to 400 it will cool a bit again due to the mass of the turkey. in this case you'd want to re-re-type 400 after another 10 mins. But with baking/cookies/etc doing it once is enough.
4. every time you open the door, retype 400.

Following those steps i've manged to get good and consistent results from the oven. i'm just going to live with it as i don't have any recourse to get a refund/exchange and having service people come in to change the sensors doesn't seem to help anyone.

I'm thinking a few things as to the cause. When pre-heating it uses certain elements to heat. i believe the stove has 4. bottom, fan 1, fan 2, and top. Lets assume it uses only the bottom element for preheat. Then once it's reached temperature maybe it decides to use only the fan elements to maintain temperature. One possibility could be that there is a fault either in the fan elements or the relay used for them when in maintain-heat mode. So the oven tries to maintain temp but the element fails to turn on. And their user interface team decided to "hide" temperature drops from the front display so as not to alarm people when the temp fluctuates by a few degrees so you never realize this. the oven might be desperately trying to hold temperature and just can't. Re-typing the temperature in goes back to pre-heat mode where it shows the current temp and kicks in the big element. Unfortunately i don't know how to test this. And i have no actual evidence so i can't convince a tech to come out. don't know how they'd test it either.

as i said. just retype your temp every time you open the door and the oven is pretty good.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1170 posts
329 upvotes
London
shepkraft wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 11:48 pm
http://support-cacyber.samsung.com/cacy ... co.kr&sep=|

During live chat with Samsung support I was provided with this link as what could be the reason for oven not maintaining temperature. It isn't relevant to the issue we have.

Have arranged for service person to come to house to take a look.
]

Haha. We had a service tech try and tell us the same thing. We had him wait 20 minutes for it to 'catch up' which of course it never did. Our claim was approved and we should get the gift cards this week. I asked what we should do with the range that we have and they told me it is mine to do with as I please, so it appears I will have two ranges or use @Kevinck method and go on a Lowes shopping spree, although I am almost certain that my bread baking wife won't go for it.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1170 posts
329 upvotes
London
shepkraft wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 10:39 pm

We didn't buy extended warranty but have only had since June of this year.
Maybe they allow for a certain amount of time after appliance purchase to add the warranty?
I saw a report of someone that had a Kitchenaid (same one we might buy) that had issues and kitchenaid refunded them within the first year (after several repairs and social networking badmouthing).
I'd be reading every word of the manufacturer's warranty pronto. Perhaps you put it on a credit card with extended warranty coverage?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15041 posts
4338 upvotes
Kevinck wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 10:59 am

So my method of operation.
1. preheat to 400. oven beeps.
2. open door and put in food. retype 400. oven thinks, says it's currently at 350, and raises back to 400.
3. as long as you don't open the door it holds a steady 400 according to my other thermometer.
3b. Note: if the thing you put in was something really big like a turkey, it's possible that after it gets back up to 400 it will cool a bit again due to the mass of the turkey. in this case you'd want to re-re-type 400 after another 10 mins. But with baking/cookies/etc doing it once is enough.
4. every time you open the door, retype 400.
Egads! :facepalm:
Sounds like a software problem to me but glad you found a workaround.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Oct 14, 2007
170 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
So to follow up - received a call from authorized service company today wanting to make appointment to take a look at the range. They initially said that appointment are between 8 - 12 or 12 to 4. I explained I can't take 1/2 day off work to sit and wait. They were able to arrange for someone to come between 8 - 10 am tomorrow. I explained what was happening on the phone to service person and they quickly understood. Made me think that they have seen the issue before. They think the oven needs to be calibrated.

I bake between 200 - 500 pre portioned frozen cookies 4 times a year for charity events and have done so for 8 years. I rarely use the oven unless doing my cookie runs. Only since getting this range have I had a problem.

Will follow up after service person comes.
May 21, 2015
594 posts
273 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I've been looking around for an induction range and noticed Best Buy has a Samsung NE58K9560WS on for $2399 which Lowes will pricematch and give you Air Miles.. There's also a Frigidaire on at Lowes for $2298 NO Tax plus air miles .Deal ends today. This one has all the features including probe, 3 racks, keypad timer etc.. BUT the surround around the front controls is plastic which could easily melt if a hot pot somehow comes in contact with it. I was disappointed in that because it could all too easily happen. https://www.lowes.ca/ranges/frigidaire- ... tion-range
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3076 posts
621 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
shepkraft wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 12:01 am
So to follow up - received a call from authorized service company today wanting to make appointment to take a look at the range. They initially said that appointment are between 8 - 12 or 12 to 4. I explained I can't take 1/2 day off work to sit and wait. They were able to arrange for someone to come between 8 - 10 am tomorrow. I explained what was happening on the phone to service person and they quickly understood. Made me think that they have seen the issue before. They think the oven needs to be calibrated.

I bake between 200 - 500 pre portioned frozen cookies 4 times a year for charity events and have done so for 8 years. I rarely use the oven unless doing my cookie runs. Only since getting this range have I had a problem.

Will follow up after service person comes.
please do. if there is somethign i can say to the service guy so that they can actually fix this and not jsut blindly change a sensor and hope for the best then i will go through the trouble to do it.
May 21, 2015
594 posts
273 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a GE Profile freestanding induction range.. I found it selling online at Canadian Appliance Source for $1739. . I price matched it at Lowes and got 10% off plus air miles $1569.. Extended warranty for 4 additional years.. $230.. Delivery and haul away $80. So with tax and delivery all in. $2118. https://www.canadianappliance.ca/cart.php
Oct 14, 2007
170 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
Drakestar And Kevinck - The repairman came out and first stated the oven is losing heat because I open the oven door. I agreed that some temp loss would occur but the oven never reaches the set temperature again. He said he has never heard of this problem happening on any of his service calls so it must just be me and the way I bake cookies.
I wanted to tell him that I have baked cookies for longer than he has been alive but thought better of it. Instead I showed him this thread and the excellent posts the two of you made (thank you).

He stayed for an hour testing different things, then oddly enough at the end said sometimes you just need to reset the oven by unplugging and plugging back in. He asked when I was doing my next cookie run (next weekend) gave me his personal business card and said to call him directly if the problem happened again. Not the company he worked for but him personally. I thought later if I did that there wouldn't be a record of the visit by the company he works for with is authorized Samsung repair place.

I was able to research more on the subject and found this post - http://www.fixya.com/support/t9534862-e ... _oven_will - sounds familiar doesn't it? I will try this next.

I never thought my purchase of this range would turn out so disappointing and frustrating especially due to the price.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1170 posts
329 upvotes
London
shepkraft wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 11:18 pm
Drakestar And Kevinck - The repairman came out and first stated the oven is losing heat because I open the oven door. I agreed that some temp loss would occur but the oven never reaches the set temperature again. He said he has never heard of this problem happening on any of his service calls so it must just be me and the way I bake cookies.
I wanted to tell him that I have baked cookies for longer than he has been alive but thought better of it. Instead I showed him this thread and the excellent posts the two of you made (thank you).

He stayed for an hour testing different things, then oddly enough at the end said sometimes you just need to reset the oven by unplugging and plugging back in. He asked when I was doing my next cookie run (next weekend) gave me his personal business card and said to call him directly if the problem happened again. Not the company he worked for but him personally. I thought later if I did that there wouldn't be a record of the visit by the company he works for with is authorized Samsung repair place.

I was able to research more on the subject and found this post - http://www.fixya.com/support/t9534862-e ... _oven_will - sounds familiar doesn't it? I will try this next.

I never thought my purchase of this range would turn out so disappointing and frustrating especially due to the price.
Wow! I have done a ton of reading on this and never saw the fixya thread that you posted. When the tech was at our house for the final time, he found a burnt connector in the back of the stove and just shrugged it off as "weird". Since our last visit was a diagnostic only visit (to verify that we have a valid 'lemon' claim) the wire issue was not reported I suppose. I very well may try to repair it diy as the first reply in the fixya post stated. Our current plan was to take the gift cards and sell the range on kijiji, but I was somewhat apprehensive in case the burnt wire may open me up to liability in case someone burns their house down. We are leaving for a trip late next week, so I'll have to think on this. If you take the back off of yours and see the wire issue, that may be the solution. If so, you'd think that Samsung would have issued a service bulletin about it.

The unplugging it and plugging it back in thing may work for my amazon fire stick, but it didn't for this range since they unplugged it everything they worked on it.

The service guy wanting you to call him directly is odd. I'd call maybe call Samsung and ask for a different Samsung repair place.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3076 posts
621 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I've never looked at the back of these ovens. Once you pull it away from the wall it it obvious/easy to take the back cover off and look for these wires to the elements?

But i'm still curious why this only happens in in maintain mode and not all the time. Does it use a different wire to the bottom element for "preheat" mode than it does for "maintain temperature" mode?