Induction Ranges

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2014 8:37 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 5, 2009
101 posts
18 upvotes
I wish I could recommend a really good induction compatible wok. We have an induction cooktop (Thermador), and it is great. The only thing that my wife has found difficult to find is a very good wok to cook with, but every other pot and pan we have are really good for induction (we use All-clad). All-clad does have induction compatible woks (we haven't bought this yet), but I think they are not non-stick if that makes a difference.

Other than that, I would suggest you use the magnet test to make sure your pot, pan (or wok) is good for induction. There are a lot of brands out there that say they are induction compatible on the box, but it is actually a mixed bag as we've found (with the magnet test) that some induct better than others, even within the same brand and model. At the end, we simply went with the higher quality name because I would simply generalize this as more consistency in quality of the cookware, and we wanted to have the same set of cookware and not a mixed bag of different brands.
Jan 27, 2005
50 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
is it possible to put a magnetic steel disc between the induction range and the wok?
Aug 5, 2009
101 posts
18 upvotes
I'm no scientist, but I don't think that would work. The point with induction is the magnetism, and this should be distributed with some even-ness throughout the cookware (otherwise, the food wouldn't cook evenly). I don't think a plate that is not attached to the cookware would accomplish this.

Funny thing was that we actually had a cheaper pot where the bottom was indeed plated on. After awhile, this actually separated a slight bit from the pot, and then we were getting popping noises when using it. Sure enough, we simply threw out the pot at that point as it was useless for our cooktop.
Sep 15, 2007
191 posts
9 upvotes
jeffw wrote: is it possible to put a magnetic steel disc between the induction range and the wok?

Sure, link

Aren't most woks made of carbon steel? That should work fine on induction if it has a flat bottom.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2315 posts
2757 upvotes
Toronto
jeffw wrote: is it possible to put a magnetic steel disc between the induction range and the wok?

Went to Ikea last night and all of their cookware is induction compatible. They have lots of styles and sizes of pots & pans. They even have a $10 wok, and a better $20 wok that comes with a cover. They even have induction-compatible pressure cookers at under $60.

My wife & I were very happy with this discovery because we just purchased the Electrolux EW30IS6CJS slide-in induction range and we were really worried about cookware.

Has anyone here tried the Ikea cookware? Is it any good?
Nothing to see here folks...
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3661 posts
1079 upvotes
Whitby
allanbradl wrote: It has been a while since you posted about buying a Samsung induction range, my question is: how is it going so far? Regrets? Problems? Experiences?
I have had this stove for the past two years and have never had a real problem with it. Cooks fast, cleans easily and no major complaints. It amazes us when we go the in laws and it just takes so long to even boil water.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1698 posts
999 upvotes
I bought a Samsung induction stove. Its been great so far. The only issue we have is trying to find non stick pans for it. Its been a real pain. Not all "induction ready" pots worked. I gave up and just bought a set of Henckles (spirit line). Hopefully these are my last set.
Oct 16, 2007
837 posts
51 upvotes
Is it better to buy an induction cooktop and A separate wall oven or just an induction range? Which brand is the recommended one nowadays?
Mar 24, 2013
135 posts
21 upvotes
North Battleford
You will have more options with seperate cooptop and oven.

36" cooktops, domino's, speed ovens, steam ovens ect

This depends alot on your kitchen layout.

Seperate costs more.

I have not looked at induction ranges.

I have read dual wall ovens are lower quality than 2 singles if you go that way.

I can not recommend a brand, they all break down.
Banned
Nov 18, 2014
25 posts
Montreal, QC
I think induction ranges are good. It requires lower KW than that gas or electric stoves require...Don't believe that salesperson.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)