Inexpensive MacBook Powered By Docking iPhone

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2017 2:25 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
680 posts
330 upvotes

Inexpensive MacBook Powered By Docking iPhone

With smartphones now being the most popular personal computers and with the super powerful processors in modern iPhones, Apple has recently taken the next logical step by patenting a MacBook which will be powered by docking your iPhone which will also act as the trackpad.

9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1446 posts
601 upvotes
Quebec
"Inexpensive" and "MacBook" don't go together.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2060 posts
922 upvotes
invite wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 7:14 am
With smartphones now being the most popular personal computers and with the super powerful processors in modern iPhones, Apple has recently taken the next logical step by patenting a MacBook which will be powered by docking your iPhone which will also act as the trackpad.

Does it say "inexpensive" in the patent or that's your dream?
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
680 posts
330 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 2:04 pm
Does it say "inexpensive" in the patent or that's your dream?
Whoops, my mistake. I didn't explain clearly enough that this patented concept utilizes your existing iPhone as its processor and trackpad. What my link and I refer to as a "MacBook", is really just a keyboard, display, and supplemental battery unit. A more accurate name for this hybrid device would be an iOSBook, which I would expect to retail for more than the CAD $199 of the Smart Keyboard for 9.7-inch iPad Pro and less than CAD $499 (depending on whether it does indeed sport the rumoured ancillary GPU booster).
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1206 posts
860 upvotes
Canada
You never know with Apple...this could be a $1,500 iPhone Pro with a $1,000 laptop dock.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1296 posts
218 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
If it's iOS instead of MacOS, no deal.
Aug 15, 2012
339 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga
So it's basically this, except it may be more advanced? I bet this'll be more expensive than a mid-range Macbook, lol. In the end you'd be paying for what basically amounts to a shell. Knowing Apple they'll at least make it usable without the phone, if it ever comes out. It'll be like a low-end iPad/Chromebook.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2060 posts
922 upvotes
Redsanta wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 5:20 pm
You never know with Apple...this could be a $1,500 iPhone Pro with a $1,000 laptop dock.
This sounds much more like Apple. Still, people need to understand that companies patent tons of stuff they have no intention of ever commercializing.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3058 posts
1757 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I hope this doesn't target the Kickstarter that started the whole docking thing with a screen and keyboard. The wording is vague in the patent. Apple may be doing this to collect royalty fees.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.