None
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23376 posts
1100 upvotes
Markham, ON
Crinkle_cut wrote:
Jun 26th, 2014 10:25 pm
Yes you can. My two kids started Montessori at 18 months old. Their class allows for two of the 10 kids to be under 18 mths old as well.
which montessori is this? NO way are the ratios for 3 infants for 1 adult. Basically you are giving 3K per month to the montessori...in what universe can a business survive in this model?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
155 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Jun 27th, 2014 8:50 am
which montessori is this? NO way are the ratios for 3 infants for 1 adult. Basically you are giving 3K per month to the montessori...in what universe can a business survive in this model?
For ten toddlers there are two teachers and a helper.

Any Montessori. Yips, sunrise, town centre Montessori. there are a ton of options in Markham and unionville area.

Research salaries for Montessori teachers. They make about 30-40k per year. So it's sustainable and these are teachers who have completed teachers college in Ontario but cannot get jobs in the public education system. Helpers don't require ece they are just part time workers who are generally older to help out taking kids to washroom, read to them and make sure kids are ok during mealtime and activities. But merely act as an assistant rather than teacher and likely make close to min wage since no real requirements needed
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40892 posts
9824 upvotes
Between daycare and montessori, why would parents choose the former?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
155 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 7th, 2014 11:37 am
Between daycare and montessori, why would parents choose the former?
No clue, for my 2 kids (Under 2, and Under 3) for Montessori I am paying $1900 a month. Decent price in my opinion.

Home Daycares though you may find some for $500/mth. But if its closer to $1000/mth, then I think the choice is a no-brainer.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40892 posts
9824 upvotes
Crinkle_cut wrote:
Oct 7th, 2014 11:49 am
No clue, for my 2 kids (Under 2, and Under 3) for Montessori I am paying $1900 a month. Decent price in my opinion.

Home Daycares though you may find some for $500/mth. But if its closer to $1000/mth, then I think the choice is a no-brainer.
So Montessori's charge about $1000/month per child? That is about the going rate in Oakville as well.

I will definitely have my daughter attend Montessori in September if not a little sooner. At least it will get her prepared for school emotionally and intellectually. Glad I spoke to the owner and was told that if I do register in January, I will be guaranteed a spot. I hate being on a wait list, especially if the odds are not that great.
Oct 18, 2014
22 posts
Richmond Hill, ON
Crinkle_cut wrote:
Jun 26th, 2014 10:25 pm
Yes you can. My two kids started Montessori at 18 months old. Their class allows for two of the 10 kids to be under 18 mths old as well.
If they start at 18 month old, wouldn't this mean they are charged at the Toddler rate, which is much cheaper than the Infant rate?
Oct 18, 2014
22 posts
Richmond Hill, ON
I just googled and found the agency hopscotchdaycare.com. Anyone have experience with this agency?
Oct 18, 2014
22 posts
Richmond Hill, ON
If we send our children to home care instead of daycare, are we still eligible to claim child expense tax rebate?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15965 posts
1875 upvotes
huskyhusky wrote:
Dec 30th, 2014 11:07 am
If they start at 18 month old, wouldn't this mean they are charged at the Toddler rate, which is much cheaper than the Infant rate?
Toddler rate starts when they are toilet trained - usually at 2 years old.
huskyhusky wrote:
Jan 1st, 2015 11:14 am
If we send our children to home care instead of daycare, are we still eligible to claim child expense tax rebate?
Only if your provider gives real receipts with their name and social insurance number listed on it.

Receipt information here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... s-eng.html

More information here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... u-eng.html
Aug 24, 2006
524 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
*BUMPING*

Any parents with recent experiences with Apple Blossom at Kennedy and Bur Oak ? It's steps from my house and looking for a spot for a 3yr old.
Aug 31, 2014
21 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bumping as well.

Also, anyone have recommendations for near hoe vs near work? Work will be Dt where as home is Markham. I saw someone commenting they preferred home so that they can still drop off if they're working from home.

But I'm considering closer to work so that i get to spend more time with the baby during the commute, and it's pretty tight to make it on time for pick up even with extended hours....
Nov 25, 2016
40 posts
18 upvotes
Tsanger wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 12:34 pm
Bumping as well.

Also, anyone have recommendations for near hoe vs near work? Work will be Dt where as home is Markham. I saw someone commenting they preferred home so that they can still drop off if they're working from home.

But I'm considering closer to work so that i get to spend more time with the baby during the commute, and it's pretty tight to make it on time for pick up even with extended hours....
I can't comment on whether one works better than the other, but some factors to consider:
- I can drop off on days when I'm sick and rest at home
- I was likely to change jobs soon; my home location won't change, my work location was unreliable (I did end up changing jobs).
- on several occasions, I have forgotten something important (blanket after bringing it home to wash, cups, etc.). Being close to home meant I could go back home and grab it and only be slightly late for work
- when we have doctor appts (we have a lot for various health reasons, but I don't think this is the norm), since they are usually close to home, it is not out of the way for either of us to drop off at daycare afterwards (husband and I don't work near each other)
- on the topic of not working near each other, on days where he has to do pick up, it's not out of the way
- However, I am consistently one of the first to drop off in the morning and one of the last to pick up (usually the last...for the whole daycare). Late fees are a consistent worry of ours.

Actually, after writing the above... I think I recommend near home if you can make it work.
Sep 21, 2005
42 posts
6 upvotes
Bump!

I'm looking for a part time spot for an infant in the Bur Oak and 16th area. No one seems to have spots. Anyone have luck?