Infant Formula - suggestions

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 2:04 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
29 posts
2 upvotes

Infant Formula - suggestions

Hello, I am first time mom and expecting my first baby in October. I am planning to stock some formula and presidential choice's "Omega+ Formula, With Iron, Stage 1" or Kirkland baby formula. I have heard great reviews about both PC/ Kirkland formula for infants as compared to other big brands formula. We already received samples from Nestle.

If any one of you can please share their experiences about these products or comparison with other products to guide me better. :)

Thanks
40 replies
Nov 13, 2016
45 posts
7 upvotes
My wife and I were discussing the same. We asked our doctor the difference between Enfamil and Parents Choice. Enfamil is twice the price of Parents Choice. When you look at the ingredients they are exactly the same. The doctor advised there are no quality differences between the two brands (when comparing the same product line). For some reason, I feel guilty buying Parents Choice and not Enfamil as if I am not buying the best formula for my baby, even though they are the same. Does higher price really equal to higher quality?
Jul 5, 2004
22169 posts
2071 upvotes
We used Holle. Expensive, but after lots of research it was the one we were happy with
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13969 posts
4496 upvotes
We used Kirkland because it was reasonably priced, but we were lucky with our son because any of the ones we tried were fine with him (as we did the rounds and got all the various samples). At first we used Enfamil just because it's what the hospital used but we switch to Kirkland after doing some research into it and finding out it would be perfectly fine in comparison to other formulas.
Oct 25, 2015
87 posts
59 upvotes
Guelph, Ontario
Whatever route you decide to go.... go with a concentrate over powder at least for the first 6 months.

we were advised this by many doctors / nurses at the NICU at credit valley hospital.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1279 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is probably the single best formula out there - https://www.vitacost.com/natures-one-ba ... -12-7-oz-2
i7-3970x | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 | Triple NEC PA301W
FreeNAS & Plex Server Intel XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC RAM | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar RAIDZ1
Interactive Brokers | Virtual Brokers
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15155 posts
4231 upvotes
Ottawa
We started off with Similac concentrate, which was the first type introduced at the hospital and then switched to Nestle as a recommendation from the Pediatrician; after the 1st year.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
29 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you all for your great advices.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
29 posts
2 upvotes
you are so right about this perception that higher prices means higher quality.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8084 posts
742 upvotes
why waste $$$ on infant formula? there's free stuff call breast milk..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
29 posts
2 upvotes
yep..just in case I am not able to BF.
Sep 26, 2010
5 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
We used enfamil only because she was given that in the hospital and we being first time parents wanted to stick with it.
A lot of other moms I know switched to kirkland with no issues at all.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4708 posts
387 upvotes
Scarborough
Just do the breastfeeding. My wife also had difficulty but the lactation consultant helped her in everything and took like 10 mins total. They're always in the hospital on weekdays.
Ask your nurse to help you with that when you're there.

We got samples from Similac and Enfamil (registered on their website). But not using it much cuz breastmilk is the best and that's what the baby likes.
Jun 1, 2017
222 posts
20 upvotes
London, ON
First - if you're going to formula feed, get used to a lot of judgement from people. Everyone likes to tell you to breastfeed. There are many reasons a baby is formula fed and it is no ones business, but people feel the need to make it their business. FED is best, regardless of how that baby is fed. There is SO much pressure to bf and it's important to do what is best for YOU and your baby.

I fed my first daughter Simulac for the first 6 months, then I moved to Kirkland. I preferred kirkland, and she liked it as well. I found with Simulac her poop was very 'grainy' and it just looked better with the kirkland. I just had my second in March and started her on Kirkland as soon as I got from the hospital. A lot of formula gets dumped when they are newborn..a lot. It's hard to watch very expensive formula go down the drain.

I wouldn't recommend stocking up on one particular brand or type...each baby is different and you may end up with a lot of formula you can't or won't use. The big brands all offer samples and the hospitals provide Simulac (at least where I am they do), sign up for everything and it you don't end up using it, the food banks will take it.

Congrats!
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
29 posts
2 upvotes
thank you for your suggestions. How did you sterilize bottles? Did you use sterilizer or traditional boiling method?