Parenting & Family

Infant Formula - suggestions

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2017 2:30 am
Jun 1, 2017
351 posts
35 upvotes
London, ON
I sterilize using a huge pot of boiling water, however, you can buy bags that you put in the microwave to sterilize and they are much faster and easier...my microwave is too small for the bags though (I have a very small kitchen and refuse to buy a larger microwave). The bags are good to have (if you choose to use them) even if you're bf'ing and pumping because you'll have to sanitize your pump parts and bottles. They are very affordable, you can get them anywhere (Walmart, Babies R Us, etc).

A lot of people think formula feeding is easier, but there is a lot of work that goes into it...finding the 'prefect' formula for your baby, washing/sanitizing bottles (which is an endless chore), measuring, mixing, storing, warming...the list goes on (I am lucky though, my baby will take a bottle at any temp, cold, room temp or warm, some will only take them warm).

If things had worked out for me, the 'ideal' would have been bf'ing and pumping...If you only nurse you never, ever get a break, no one else can feed your baby, but if you get your baby used to a bottle then other people can feed her/him and you can sleep...or actually go places without your baby :)

It's good that you are looking into formula as a back up, I had very high hopes of bf'ing and felt like the ultimate failure when things didn't go as planned, I didn't even consider formula and it was a VERY hard pill to swallow when I couldn't bf.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14164 posts
4629 upvotes
Tbik78 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 11:53 am
thank you for your suggestions. How did you sterilize bottles? Did you use sterilizer or traditional boiling method?
We just washing the bottles / nipples normally, then filled them with boiled water. We then just mixed in formula when it was feeding time.

Our son was very easy with the formula, he drank whichever we gave to him and we just mixed it according to instructions. We did not have to heat it or anything, just room temperature was fine. The only problem is that you have to learn when "enough" is because at a young age they have no idea when they are full so keep drinking until they throw up. As well, remember that there are nipples for different "speeds" and as they age you need to change the nipple.

One secret a nurse told us - she breast fed her children but before they went to sleep, every night, she gave them a bottle instead and insisted that helped them sleep much better.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
31 posts
2 upvotes
we have avent natural set for now. We will have to figure out if we need more when babes arrives.

Do you use bottle warmers? we live in 2 floor house and would be hard to go downstairs at middle of night. Can I boil water and put in a container in our room upstairs?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14164 posts
4629 upvotes
Tbik78 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 2:48 pm
we have avent natural set for now. We will have to figure out if we need more when babes arrives.

Do you use bottle warmers? we live in 2 floor house and would be hard to go downstairs at middle of night. Can I boil water and put in a container in our room upstairs?
Our son did not need warmed water so we did not use a bottle warmer. If you wanted a make shift bottle warmer you can just place the bottle itself into a container of warm water to warm up - which you can get from any tap. Come to think of it, I think we did do the warming in a container of water for a little bit at the beginning before we realized it was a giant waste of time / water.

We would boil the water and then put it into the bottles. We always made 6-8 bottles at a time (the size of our kettle) and they would sit on the counter in a sealed bottle for 1-2 days before they were used. When we went to use them we just dumped powder in them, shook them up, and served.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1251 posts
94 upvotes
GTA
Like the other poster said don't stock up on any one brand or type. And that goes for everything not just formula. Our first is 5 months now and we are BF because it's cheaper, has some health benefits and she gets to bond with him. He was formula fed for the first month on Enfamil because he hated Similac.

He likes it warm so use our hot water dispenser. Hot water in a cup and bottle in the cup. Very quick.

To sanitize it was boiled water or dishwasher. Even bottles and nipples don't stock up as they may not like the ones you have. We went thru a few.
Aug 5, 2008
162 posts
99 upvotes
^ Agree! I BF but a couple of my friends had to keep switching brands because their babies didn't like the formula, it didn't agree with their tummies or just going through phases.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
775 posts
211 upvotes
How do you know they don't like it? They refuse it?
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Aug 5, 2008
162 posts
99 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 9:57 pm
How do you know they don't like it? They refuse it?
Yes, they would refuse it or wouldn't drink as much as they usually would. To be fair, one of those friends was breastfeeding too, so that probably was a factor.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
775 posts
211 upvotes
cutey130 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 11:03 pm
Yes, they would refuse it or wouldn't drink as much as they usually would. To be fair, one of those friends was breastfeeding too, so that probably was a factor.
How interesting. Thanks!
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1365 posts
62 upvotes
Experiment and see what works for your baby. We started with Similac since that was what the hospital provided and our baby did well with it. After a month we decided to give Enfamil a shot since it was considered the "premier" brand. After a week she vomited a couple of times so we then tried Kirkland/Costco and have been using it ever since. Our baby is now 9 months and no issues, it's iron fortified, etc.

We're grateful she's able to take Kirkland with no problem, $23 for a 1kg tub vs $23 for a 500g tub.

We do buy Enfamil or Similac to-go 60ml bottles on the fly for when we are out incase she needs a feed and she takes them no problem. We only buy those with the mailed coupons, either free or half price.
Feb 24, 2017
82 posts
18 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 3:02 pm
why waste $$$ on infant formula? there's free stuff call breast milk..
It's free but it's not as easy as everybody thinks. You can disagree if you are a mom who's had experience breastfeeding. I am a first time mom and let me tell you, breastfeeding takes a lot of patience and hard work.

From the parents freebies thread here on RFD, I ended up getting samples from Enfamil, Nestle and Similac. At the hospital, my milk was very slow to come in (we stayed 6 days) so I put my baby to the breast to stimulate and then gave him the ready-to-go Enfamil provided by the hospital. I would also suggest not to stock up on one brand, try the samples or buy one box. See what your baby likes. Mine didn't really notice when we switched from Enfamil and Nestle.

My baby is a month now and I have been breastfeeding, pumping a minimum of twice a day (there aren't enough hours in a day!), feeding either my breastmilk or (liquid concentrate Enfamil) formula bottle at night when my husband takes over, and topping up with my breastmilk or formula when he needs it. I want to go exclusively breastfeeding and pump as much as I can but his weight wasn't progressing so that's what we've been doing.

I suggest getting a good breast pump and a sterilizing machine. If breastfeeding is too hard and you "fail", don't give up! On my 6th day when we were both discharged from the hospital, I had kept putting him to my breast and pumping all 6 days and my milk finally came in that 6th day. It's not easy, but it's worth it! What everybody forgets to tell you (including all the nurses) is you really have to work for it. And saving time from boiling water with a sterilizing machine has been a dream! I sterilize my breast pump parts every day and sterilize all the bottles (wash after every use of course) once a week. It's such a time saver and you'll need that when you are sleep deprived, baby is crying non-stop, and you're constantly changing diapers/washing bottles/etc.

Good luck!
Last edited by smeeae on Aug 20th, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 24, 2017
82 posts
18 upvotes
EscaBoi wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 11:32 pm
Experiment and see what works for your baby. We started with Similac since that was what the hospital provided and our baby did well with it. After a month we decided to give Enfamil a shot since it was considered the "premier" brand. After a week she vomited a couple of times so we then tried Kirkland/Costco and have been using it ever since. Our baby is now 9 months and no issues, it's iron fortified, etc.

We're grateful she's able to take Kirkland with no problem, $23 for a 1kg tub vs $23 for a 500g tub.

We do buy Enfamil or Similac to-go 60ml bottles on the fly for when we are out incase she needs a feed and she takes them no problem. We only buy those with the mailed coupons, either free or half price.
Where do you get these mailed coupons for the Enfamil or Similac to-go bottles? Man they are SO expensive!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14164 posts
4629 upvotes
smeeae wrote:
Aug 20th, 2017 9:07 pm
Where do you get these mailed coupons for the Enfamil or Similac to-go bottles? Man they are SO expensive!
Go on the websites for each of the manufacturers - it should be quite obvious. For example, here is Similac:
https://similac.ca/en/similac-club
Mar 11, 2011
66 posts
10 upvotes
I have used both big brands and Kirkland formula, and I am totally in favor of Kirkland for quality, price and deals.

As of for your other post in this thread, We also live in 2 floor house, I was keeping boiled water in bottle and powder forumal beside my bed, so when baby awake in middle of night, I was mixing powder in bottle filled with water and shake well, then fed to baby. After baby was 6 month old, I was mixing powder in boiled water and got all the bottle ready in the morning. Then used microwave for daytime use, and just got bottle out at the bedtime, which got enough warm by 3-4 am when baby awake for midnight feed.

Hope this helps.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23784 posts
1640 upvotes
Hamilton
Try not to get so many nipples for now. My girl didn't like the nipple so we had to change everything.

as for cleaning the bottles/ nipples and such, we use big pot of boiling water. (buy a tong, very useful)