Infant Formula - suggestions

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2017 2:30 am
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23784 posts
1640 upvotes
Hamilton
also. we use the concentrated formula for now.
Jun 15, 2006
53 posts
1 upvote
Shaner wrote: We used Holle. Expensive, but after lots of research it was the one we were happy with
Why Holle over Hipp or other organic formulas? I'm researching organic formula for first born and can't decide. Tia!
Jul 5, 2004
22241 posts
2122 upvotes
greatphil wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 7:05 am
Why Holle over Hipp or other organic formulas? I'm researching organic formula for first born and can't decide. Tia!
Honestly, I don't remember the details of why we went with Holle vs Hipp, although I do remember comparing the two. I believe there was a question of aluminum or some other metal in Hipp that I wasn't happy with. I also think there was an issue of higher sugar in Hipp. I can't say for sure. It was a year and a half ago that I compared the two. All I know is I was happier with Holle, although i'd use Hipp over any crap sold in stores in Canada. Breast milk is best, but it didn't work out for us and we had to switch to formula.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Nov 7, 2012
670 posts
238 upvotes
TORONTO
For those of you who switched brands, did you slowly incorporate it or did you just change it up immediately?

Looking to move to the Kirkland brand. Switched to their diapers and wipes.

My 8mnth started on enfamil for 5mnths and switched to Nestle the last 3. Looking to save if possible without compromising my kids health.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14159 posts
4628 upvotes
akswun wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 9:55 pm
For those of you who switched brands, did you slowly incorporate it or did you just change it up immediately?

Looking to move to the Kirkland brand. Switched to their diapers and wipes.

My 8mnth started on enfamil for 5mnths and switched to Nestle the last 3. Looking to save if possible without compromising my kids health.
We switched several times and just did it. No problems with our son - he ate the new brands without issue. Even going from premade (in the nursing bottles) to powder there was no issue.

Every child is different, but you hear many more horror stories because that's what parents like to share. Most babies will probably be fine with switching.
Nov 7, 2012
670 posts
238 upvotes
TORONTO
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 10:03 pm
We switched several times and just did it. No problems with our son - he ate the new brands without issue. Even going from premade (in the nursing bottles) to powder there was no issue.

Every child is different, but you hear many more horror stories because that's what parents like to share. Most babies will probably be fine with switching.

Thanks. Will try a bottle soon and see how it goes.
Mar 7, 2011
769 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
greatphil wrote:
We are using Hipp over Holle. Just because it was easier available to us and it contains pro and pre-biotics while Holle doesn't. But both are great organic formula that we prefer over any North American/Canadian formula. Expensive but worth it.
We exclusively breastfeed our baby but top up with Hipp whenever we are out and it's not convenient to breastfeed.
May 6, 2011
33 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
where do you buy the organic formula Hipp or Holle?
Apr 4, 2012
445 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
greatphil wrote:
I was exclusively fed Holle formula back in the day, and we just needed to top up, so I just went with Holle. Obviously the formula and sources are different now, and we also used Holle's new formula lebenswert bio, which was well reviewed and our daughter tolerated it well. We also tried a box of Hipp that my mom brought back from Europe, which contained probiotics, and she enjoyed it too. In retrospect I would feel comfortable feeding our kid either one.
Nov 7, 2012
670 posts
238 upvotes
TORONTO
For those feeding your children Kirkland brand... It's on sale right now... Something like $18.... Picked up 3!
May 8, 2009
2246 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
bhogala wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 11:21 am
Whatever route you decide to go.... go with a concentrate over powder at least for the first 6 months.

we were advised this by many doctors / nurses at the NICU at credit valley hospital.
Concentrate is hard to find in Canada. Don't you mean ready made? The powder is fine for newborns, unless they react to it. Even then, if that's the case, try a different brand.
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 12:48 pm
We started off with Similac concentrate, which was the first type introduced at the hospital and then switched to Nestle as a recommendation from the Pediatrician; after the 1st year.
Similac concentrate is not available in Canada.
kiasu wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 3:02 pm
why waste $$$ on infant formula? there's free stuff call breast milk..
There's always an itemized cost, even to breast milk. You may see it as free because you don't swipe plastic to buy it, but it requires the mother to rest a lot (no stress), and other factors can come into play. It's a serious lifestyle commitment.
Tbik78 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 11:53 am
thank you for your suggestions. How did you sterilize bottles? Did you use sterilizer or traditional boiling method?
Boiling works fine.
Tbik78 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 2:48 pm
we have avent natural set for now. We will have to figure out if we need more when babes arrives.

Do you use bottle warmers? we live in 2 floor house and would be hard to go downstairs at middle of night. Can I boil water and put in a container in our room upstairs?
We had a similar fleet of stairs situation. Water skin burns are no fun. Keep a kettle upstairs?
yao416 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 8:53 am
Try not to get so many nipples for now. My girl didn't like the nipple so we had to change everything.

as for cleaning the bottles/ nipples and such, we use big pot of boiling water. (buy a tong, very useful)
We found Gerber (Nestle) First Essentials bottles to have the best nipples for newborns. Available at PC brand grocery stores (including Shoppers drug Mart).
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16288 posts
4936 upvotes
Ottawa
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 7:36 am
Concentrate is hard to find in Canada. Don't you mean ready made? The powder is fine for newborns, unless they react to it. Even then, if that's the case, try a different brand.

Similac concentrate is not available in Canada.

There's always an itemized cost, even to breast milk. You may see it as free because you don't swipe plastic to buy it, but it requires the mother to rest a lot (no stress), and other factors can come into play. It's a serious lifestyle commitment.

Boiling works fine.

We had a similar fleet of stairs situation. Water skin burns are no fun. Keep a kettle upstairs?

We found Gerber (Nestle) First Essentials bottles to have the best nipples for newborns. Available at PC brand grocery stores (including Shoppers drug Mart).
Similac concentrate has been available in Canada for years and it's what we use to give our kid.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/similac-ad ... 0001830946
May 8, 2009
2246 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 7:49 am
Similac concentrate has been available in Canada for years and it's what we use to give our kid.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/similac-ad ... 0001830946
No kidding. Weird that similac customer service csr told me otherwise a year ago. Good to know!
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming