Infection Prevention and Control

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2019 9:32 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2019
10 posts
7 upvotes

Infection Prevention and Control

Hello, I am an internationally educated healthcare professional recently moved to Canada. It seems that getting licensed to practice my profession here is a lengthy and expensive procedure. I am considering Infection Prevention and Control as an alternative career and planning to do a course from Centennial College. Can someone comment on the job prospects of Infection control profession? is there enough job vacancies? how can I build networks? any inputs appreciated!
7 replies
Nov 9, 2011
710 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know about other organizations, but it is extremely difficult to join the IPAC team at a hospital. They are a very small team.
Last edited by tonershop on Mar 25th, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 13, 2017
210 posts
143 upvotes
agreed, IPAC is a very small field i would say start with something general and go from there. If you want to be in health care, database and coding jobs are coming up as well project managers and things like that
[OP]
Feb 25, 2019
10 posts
7 upvotes
DontCareyou wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 11:54 am
agreed, IPAC is a very small field i would say start with something general and go from there. If you want to be in health care, database and coding jobs are coming up as well project managers and things like that
Interesting! any leads where I can get some training? Thank you.
Nov 9, 2011
710 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
DontCareyou wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 11:54 am
Not if you are in Ontario. Under the Ford govt, only front-line staff are somewhat "safe". Supporting roles are all at risk..
Mar 4, 2007
53 posts
6 upvotes
As people have said IPAC is a very small team in hospitals hard to get a job. Have you thought abt RPN or even a course in food services?
[OP]
Feb 25, 2019
10 posts
7 upvotes
medic1 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 5:05 pm
As people have said IPAC is a very small team in hospitals hard to get a job. Have you thought abt RPN or even a course in food services?
RPN would take a bit longer to complete compared to IPAC, I know IPAC team is very small and would be difficult to get in. I was hoping to get into any job in a remote area and move back after gaining sufficient experience. But I merely know anyone who is an IPAC professional.
Jan 14, 2010
641 posts
181 upvotes
Central Ontario
IPAC generally begin as RNs in many hospitals, plucked from frontline roles. Not sure of roles beyond government and hospitals (and H&CC but they could be cut soon); have not seen many in other care areas.