• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2006 2:59 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 12, 2004
432 posts
13 upvotes

Information on Raises!

Does anyone know how "RAISES" for a dept. work??? Do managers actually decide based on performance for individuals. How would you guys think it works when everyone does the same job? Are we as employees entitled to know how much others in our dept. make. Just wondering if favouritism can have an affect on wage increase?? Is there protection for employees when it comes to compensation with that regard.

I'd like to know others experience. I work for a major corporate player in communications/wireless. What info do those in HR or senior positions have to offer??

Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
3307 posts
26 upvotes
XXXmen wrote:Does anyone know how "RAISES" for a dept. work??? Do managers actually decide based on performance for individuals.
That depends on your company.
XXXmen wrote: How would you guys think it works when everyone does the same job? Are we as employees entitled to know how much others in our dept. make.
No. You could ask your co-workers, and they might tell you if they want to, but its also an unwritten rule that you shouldn't ask people about their salary.
XXXmen wrote: Just wondering if favouritism can have an affect on wage increase?? Is there protection for employees when it comes to compensation with that regard.
Sure it can. And not unless you're in a union.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
Yup. I agree with all of that. It's up to the company, and if it's corporate, then it's almost for certain that there are differences between you and someone that's doing the same job there. It's usually based on performance, so if you have a formal review process where you get ranked, then this is probably where the differences come in.

And yes, unless you're union, you have no protection against this. If you feel you are way underpaid, then I'd suggest you get as much evidence of this as possible (via research into the current market and other companies) and present your case at an appropriate time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5171 posts
116 upvotes
Vancouver
Stop worrying about how much your co-workers make. This is between you & your employer.

Most companies prohibit discussing your salary with coworkers. That's because it pisses people off. And then they get this idea of "unfairness" in their head. So they decide they should be paid the same as so-and-so rather than simply based on their performance.

If i make less than my coworkers i sure don't want to know about it.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
2469 posts
4 upvotes
odds are if someone is getting paid mor then you then they deserve it. Very rarely do people view themselves subjectivly, people sometimes think they wokr just as hard as so and so yet they make 10% more. of coruse odds are you only know 50% of the details.

The pay of your coworkers has no bearing on your pay. You agree to work for X doing Y. If someone else is doing X for Z and Z > Y then either they do it better then you, or YOUR selling yourself short. Never blame the employer for paying you less, its in their best intrest to pay the least they have to and its up to you to make sure you get paid the most you can, stray too far from the middle ground and either they dont have anyone working for them or you price yourself out of a job.