Expired Hot Deals

[Tangerine] ING Direct: $50 bonus max for 5 months of preauthorized bill payments

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2013 9:18 am
Aug 26, 2005
259 posts
20 upvotes
Metro Vancouver

[Tangerine] ING Direct: $50 bonus max for 5 months of preauthorized bill payments

More offers from Tangerine
This deal is good for existing ING Direct clients and not-yet clients.

General Information Page
In order to receive the $50 cash bonus:
  • A Client who does not currently have a THRiVE Chequing Account must open a THRiVE Chequing Account by June 30, 2013 and have his first pre-authorized bill payment withdrawn from the Account by July 31, 2013.
  • A Client who has an existing THRiVE Chequing Account must have his first pre-authorized bill payment withdrawn from the Account by July 31, 2013.
I called up ING. I asked them if I could set this up within my ING account. No, I can't. I must contact the institution which will be receiving the payment from the ING account. For example, if you have an RBC Visa credit card, you must set the preauthorized bill payment up with RBC. Of course, it doesn't have to be a credit card. It could be anything, like insurance payments, health insurance payments, cable TV, phone/mobile/internet, etc.

For more details, check out the Offer Rules and Regulations.

A word to those who are not yet ING clients:
You may think that ING does not have ABMs in your area. Enter your city/town here: http://www.ingdirect.ca/abm
To avail of a $50 cash bonus just for being a new ING client, please send me a private message before you sign up.
44 replies
[OP]
Aug 26, 2005
259 posts
20 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
I looked at my credit card history. For the most part, I spend more than the required $50. But one month, I spent just $20. For those months when I buy very little on my credit card, what do you suggest I buy, just for the sake of reaching the $50 minimum?
All I can think of is transit (bus) passes/booklets. Now that I have a car, I rarely take transit. But it's worth it, because old and unused transit passes in Metro Vancouver are like "CanadaPost's Forever Stamps". Transit passes will always be worth the going rate, no matter when you decide to use them.

Any suggestions?

Please don't suggest gasoline/fuel. It's not an option for me in my situation.
Oct 20, 2006
16 posts
What if I have premiums for life insurance leaving my account, and it's been like that for years now. Does that count?

I gave the insurance company a void chq and they now take the premiums monthly.

Is this the same as a pre-authorized bill payment?
[OP]
Aug 26, 2005
259 posts
20 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
balla786,
I assume that the void cheque you gave the ins. co. is your ING Thrive check. I believe that your payments for life-insurance premiums do indeed count. But please speak to an ING agent to confirm.

On the Terms and Conditions page, ING lists some things that do not count.

The following do not qualify as pre-authorized bill payments for the purpose of this promotion:
  • Spousal RSP Contributions
  • Special Payrolls
  • Interest
  • Private Pension
  • Commission Payroll
  • Retirement Income Fund
  • Provincial Government Pensions
  • Provincial Health Care Premium
  • RSP Contributions
  • Annuity
  • RESP Contributions
  • Customer Cheques
  • Fees
  • EFT IN Debit
  • Investments
  • Mutual Funds
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15351 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
balla786 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2013 3:02 am
What if I have premiums for life insurance leaving my account, and it's been like that for years now. Does that count?

I gave the insurance company a void chq and they now take the premiums monthly.

Is this the same as a pre-authorized bill payment?
It just needs to be a pre authorized amount of money leaving your account etc. So yes the insurance premiums will count.
Selling Feng Shui Crane Coin (See Avatar) - $80 - PM!
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2003
4383 posts
5092 upvotes
Markham
canadianhub wrote:
Jun 26th, 2013 6:41 am
I looked at my credit card history. For the most part, I spend more than the required $50. But one month, I spent just $20. For those months when I buy very little on my credit card, what do you suggest I buy, just for the sake of reaching the $50 minimum?
All I can think of is transit (bus) passes/booklets. Now that I have a car, I rarely take transit. But it's worth it, because old and unused transit passes in Metro Vancouver are like "CanadaPost's Forever Stamps". Transit passes will always be worth the going rate, no matter when you decide to use them.

Any suggestions?

Please don't suggest gasoline/fuel. It's not an option for me in my situation.
If you cook, grocery. If you don't, dine out and pay with your credit card.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
1825 posts
170 upvotes
Can I still qualify for this if I already have preauthorized payments coming out of my account and simply add a new one? My insurance comes out automatically each month already.
PSN: Random-Sanity
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2012
4675 posts
1842 upvotes
Winnipeg
RandomSanity wrote:
Jun 26th, 2013 2:41 pm
Can I still qualify for this if I already have preauthorized payments coming out of my account and simply add a new one? My insurance comes out automatically each month already.
+1 I would liken to know this.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2012
1924 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
How long does it take to get the checks from ING after opening the thrive account?? And they send the checks by default, right? Or do I need to order it?

Thanks
----
Banned
Dec 29, 2008
287 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
lex4ever wrote:
Jun 26th, 2013 11:58 am
How long does it take to get the checks from ING after opening the thrive account?? And they send the checks by default, right? Or do I need to order it?

Thanks
I just called in and this was one of my questions. The cheques are not sent out automatically.

1. Log into your account
2. Click View My Accounts
3. Choose your Thrive Chequing Account
4. On the left hand navigation bar, choose "Cheques and Drafts"
5. Click "Order My Cheques"
6. Follow the instructions

Side bar,

I also called about this promotion in addition to the thrive $100 payroll promotion. They said it's for existing clients that have not set up automatic bill payments yet. However after going through the fine print with him he clarified that yes, new clients who enroll and DATE THEIR CHEQUE as a date before June 30, will be eligible for this $50 promotion and the other $100 promotion. So if you're signing up, make sure you date your cheque as the date you enroll, don't allow it to just get processed when they receive it.

That said, I didn't inquire further about, if you are an existing customer, have automatic deposits, if you set up a new second/third deposit if you'd qualify for that promotion. If someone else wants they can call in and confirm for the board. The guys on the phone seem very helpful despite the small hiccup in my query.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
5732 posts
1562 upvotes
Toronto
Slightly misleading title... made it sound like $50x5.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2003
2885 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
i called ING and they said I'm not eligible for this promo, but another promo for $25 to set up an automatic savings program instead
Jun 8, 2008
230 posts
5 upvotes
Can I get it on this if I'm just starting the process of registering a thrive account today as long as I have my ore authorized withdrawals switched over by end of July?
× < >