Personal Finance

ING Direct THRiVE chequeing 100$ payroll switch promo - expiring tomorrow?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2012 10:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 26, 2012
159 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

ING Direct THRiVE chequeing 100$ payroll switch promo - expiring tomorrow?

Hey guys, im planning to switch my chequeing account from the TD Value Plus account to the ING Direct THRiVE mainly because of the monthly fee, and debit card usage fees plaguing my hard-earned dollars in the TD account.

I noticed that to earn the additional $100 promo for switching my payroll to ING, I'd have to have the switch done by April 30th, or more formally known as, tomorrow. (and i dont think our HR department is that timely)

This is a bummer. I guess what i'm wondering is if anyone has any reason to believe they will be running another payroll switch bonus any time soon? It seems like they are always offering some extra bonus for switching your payroll.
5 replies
Jul 12, 2005
404 posts
72 upvotes
Peterborough
I don't have any insider information here but I'd say the odds are good they will offer this again.

I signed up for a THRiVE account in January and since I am paid monthly, just squeaked under the Feb. 29th deadline for a payroll deposit. Figured that would be it but then they offered the same sign-up bonus in March, expiring in April.

Something interesting I just noticed on the THRiVE info page is this near the bottom:
* Payroll must be deposited between December 10, 2011 and April 30, 2012. Limit of one (1) bonus per Account. Offer available to new ING DIRECT Clients only.

I had an ING savings account when I signed up for a THRiVE account and still received this bonus. Is this a new condition I wonder?
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1748 posts
442 upvotes
They recently lowered their savings account interest rate; I hope this means they will continue to offer bonuses. I think there is a good chance the promotion will be extended.

I'd rather they offer higher interest and no bonuses, because I think a referral of "you should sign up for ING Direct because they're fantastic" is a better endorsement than "you should sign up for ING Direct because if you use my Orange Key we'll both get $25". Having said that, my wife and I are up to $350 in bonuses so I'm not complaining too loudly.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2012
159 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
PianoGuy wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 10:34 pm
They recently lowered their savings account interest rate; I hope this means they will continue to offer bonuses. I think there is a good chance the promotion will be extended.

I'd rather they offer higher interest and no bonuses, because I think a referral of "you should sign up for ING Direct because they're fantastic" is a better endorsement than "you should sign up for ING Direct because if you use my Orange Key we'll both get $25". Having said that, my wife and I are up to $350 in bonuses so I'm not complaining too loudly.

Hope they extend. Was going to switch today until I noticed that..

It's still better than my TD Value Plus account, but I'll hold out for the next sign-up or payroll switch bonus.
Jul 12, 2005
404 posts
72 upvotes
Peterborough
Become an ING DIRECT Client today and we’ll give you $50* to get started.
Seems like the THRiVE promo is gone (for now), but if you're new to ING you can get $50 just for opening an account. ANY account for that matter, not limited to THRiVE. http://www.ingdirect.ca/bonus50/

See the thread someone just started a thread about this promo:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ing-dire ... st14664659
[OP]
Apr 26, 2012
159 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
blitzkrieg wrote:
May 1st, 2012 2:07 am
Seems like the THRiVE promo is gone (for now), but if you're new to ING you can get $50 just for opening an account. ANY account for that matter, not limited to THRiVE. http://www.ingdirect.ca/bonus50/

See the thread someone just started a thread about this promo:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ing-dire ... st14664659

Yea, i called today.

Just debating if its worth switching. There happens to be a TD 1 minute from my workplace which is good for quick cash grabs. The ING account is better but I went through a nightmare with PC once trying to raise my withdrawal limit over the phone, scaring me away from non brick-and-mortar banks.
× < >