• Jun 27th, 2013 1:28 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 28, 2007
569 posts
129 upvotes

ING Thrive: Get $50 for setting up pre-authorized bill payments

Saw this when I logged into my ING account: http://www.ingdirect.ca/en/landingpage/hyperthrive/
Set up a pre-authorized bill payment in your THRiVE Chequing Account to earn up to $50 by June 30th.

To qualify, all you have to do is set up a pre-authorized bill payment to one biller and you'll receive $10 for each month that the bill is paid. Log in and set up your pre-authorized bill payments with our easy Switch to THRiVE tool.
This offer applies to customers that have not created a pre-authorized bill payment on their account (or who haven't yet opened a Thrive account). Pre-authorized bill payment requires you to provide your Thrive account information to your biller(s) (i.e. utility, credit card, insurance, etc.) so that they may withdraw directly from your account. There is a $50 minimum per monthly pre-authorized payment to qualify for the $10 bonus.

The terms and conditions page lists a number of excluded payment types:
Spousal RSP Contributions
Special Payrolls
Interest
Private Pension
Commission Payroll
Retirement Income Fund
Provincial Government Pensions
Provincial Health Care Premium
RSP Contributions
Annuity
RESP Contributions
Customer Cheques
Fees
EFT IN Debit
Investments
Mutual Funds
38 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
3617 posts
515 upvotes
BC
Ooo good promo.
I'll toss my cellphone on it
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Jul 26, 2008
604 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
RiCHC3 wrote:
May 7th, 2013 3:16 am
Ooo good promo.
I will also be doing the same too! How fortunate our cell phone bills are $50+ :eek:
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
4323 posts
655 upvotes
Scarborough
How does this work? We have to set up recurring payments at the company we need to pay?
[OP]
Dec 28, 2007
569 posts
129 upvotes
SkimGuy wrote:
May 7th, 2013 6:59 am
How does this work? We have to set up recurring payments at the company we need to pay?
Yes, and the payment amounts need to be at least $50.
Jun 9, 2006
836 posts
83 upvotes
Thornhill
* Limit of $50 in Bonuses per THRiVE Chequing Account, per Client. A total of $10 Bonus will be paid per month for all pre-authorized bill payments that are set up, even if there are multiple. To qualify, the pre-authorized bill payment must be $50 or greater and be continuous and uninterrupted for a 5-month period. Bonus will be credited to your THRiVE Chequing Account within 30 days of pre-authorized bill payment. Offer runs from May 1 to June 30, 2013 and the first pre-authorized bill payment must be completed by July 31, 2013.

Hmm, 5-month period. Longer than I was hoping, was hoping to put a CC on, but I think my interest saved would be negated by this length.
Jul 3, 2011
87 posts
21 upvotes
Waiwai wrote:
May 7th, 2013 9:18 am
To qualify, the pre-authorized bill payment must be $50 or greater and be continuous and uninterrupted for a 5-month period.
Does this qualification exclude bi-monthly billing (in my case, Toronto Hydro)? I will try calling in tonight, but I'd appreciate if anyone knows.
Jan 6, 2011
322 posts
165 upvotes
Montreal
SkimGuy wrote:
May 7th, 2013 6:59 am
I think recurring payment is not eligible, no ?
ING says "a pre-authorized bill payment" which is different than a "recurring payment".
Can someone please confirm?
Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
4877 posts
444 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
RiCHC3 wrote:
May 7th, 2013 3:16 am
Ooo good promo.
+1
Jul 26, 2008
604 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Weird... I called ING Direct to inquire about the setting up a PAP for this promotion, and right away the CSR asked if I received an e-mail about this promotion?

She is claiming that this promotion is only valid to customers whom had received the e-mail. So it is only valid for targeted customers...

But it doesn't say mention anything like that on the promotion page! I am confused. What to do~!!
Apr 16, 2007
62 posts
3 upvotes
I get another offer from ING today in the mail box.. If you open a Tax-Free Savings Accounts with 100$.. I'll get 25$ after one month..
Aug 13, 2008
283 posts
29 upvotes
Cambridge
I am not receiving any of these offers. Must be reserved for the rich RFDers.
Oct 10, 2011
17 posts
6 upvotes
Kingston
I just opened the Thrive account (I already had an ISA and got the promo email). I'm going to add AmEx as my preauthorized payment. Should I use ING or AmEx's form? Does ING care for the $50 promotion?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Is there some way of automating the transfer from an ING savings account to the Thrive account? I keep everything in the savings account (since it has higher interest and transfers are free), and if you have to go in and manually transfer over the correct amount every time a bill is due then it kind of negates the point of a pre-authorized payment. I wish there was some way to tell it that if it's trying to pay something and the chequing account is empty, to take it from the savings account.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2007
569 posts
129 upvotes
frederict wrote:
May 7th, 2013 9:55 pm
I just opened the Thrive account (I already had an ISA and got the promo email). I'm going to add AmEx as my preauthorized payment. Should I use ING or AmEx's form? Does ING care for the $50 promotion?
It shouldn't matter, as ING suggests calling the biller first to see if you can set up the pre-authorized payments over the phone.
× < >