[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2049 posts
322 upvotes
Calgary

Ingenico 5100 Needs to be Replaced?

Hey guys,

I received an email saying that I have to get a new credit card terminal due to the SHA-1 compromise. Does anyone know whether this is legit? Is there no way to reprogram the Ingenico 5100 to work with SHA-2 or whatever the current standard is? Apparently Ingenico 3050 units are affected as well. What is the likelihood of a breach of security? As I understand it, a bad file can have the same hash as a good file. I also read it would take $600,000 to $800,000 to replicate the efforts Google took to break SHA-1. Who is going to spend that kind of money to hack my merchant credit card machine?

"According to our records, you are using a payment terminal that does not meet the latest security standards. As of March 31st 2017, all Ingenico 5100 & Ingenico 3050 units are no longer compliant with security protocols. If there is a breach of security with your systems, Elavon will not investigate the matter. If your current terminal unit is not upgraded by May 31st 2017, you will no longer be able to accept debit and credit transactions. "

Anyone else get a notice?
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
17 replies
Feb 18, 2014
120 posts
16 upvotes
Completely legit. That said, if they are charging you anything for the upgrade, you can walk away from your contract...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2049 posts
322 upvotes
Calgary
Really? I think they want to either sell me a new Ingenico model for about $650 or do a $19 per month rental for it. I paid off my 5100 a while back so I haven't been paying any monthly rental fees for it. I called up Elavon and verified things, and it does sound like I have to get a new machine which sucks. I guess it wouldn't be safe to sell the old one on eBay. Is there a way to wipe the unit and sell it off, or is it likely no one wants these older models any more?
Play Hay Day!
Feb 18, 2014
120 posts
16 upvotes
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote:
May 5th, 2017 9:40 pm
Really? I think they want to either sell me a new Ingenico model for about $650 or do a $19 per month rental for it. I paid off my 5100 a while back so I haven't been paying any monthly rental fees for it. I called up Elavon and verified things, and it does sound like I have to get a new machine which sucks. I guess it wouldn't be safe to sell the old one on eBay. Is there a way to wipe the unit and sell it off, or is it likely no one wants these older models any more?
The terminal will be obsolete, so there will be no market for it.

Which Elavon reseller are you going through? As well, what is the terminal type they are suggesting? Do you require tap functionality?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2049 posts
322 upvotes
Calgary
I went through Costco Elavon. Tap would be nice, and the unit they want to sell me looks like it does that?

Ingenico ICT250: Countertop stationary terminal (wired – all in 1 device, terminal and pinpad built into 1 piece).
Processes both debit & credit transactions - tap capable, Apple pay and Samsung pay acceptance
Payment Options: 1) Purchase-$626 - 2) Rental - $19/Month
Play Hay Day!
Sep 16, 2012
227 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ICT250 does support tap, though you'll need to call in to get it enabled. I don't enable it because interac flash costs another 3.5c on top. It's the cheapest wired terminal option.
Feb 18, 2014
120 posts
16 upvotes
May 6th, 2017 11:46 pm
I went through Costco Elavon. Tap would be nice, and the unit they want to sell me looks like it does that?

Ingenico ICT250: Countertop stationary terminal (wired – all in 1 device, terminal and pinpad built into 1 piece).
Processes both debit & credit transactions - tap capable, Apple pay and Samsung pay acceptance
Payment Options: 1) Purchase-$626 - 2) Rental - $19/Month
Tap transactions come at a price. It's anywhere from 2c-3.5c on debit, based on your business type. MasterCard also has fees for contactless transactions. Regardless, rent the terminal. The units by Ingenico will start to be replaced early next year by a new and improved terminal type. If you buy, you will have older equipment that will not be supported in about 5 years
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2049 posts
322 upvotes
Calgary
Does anyone know what this 33% under PIN Debit Surcharge (Interac) is? They sent me a form that was mostly blank, but I noticed these details:

INTERAC DEBIT
PER AUTH: $0.06 INTERAC FLASH PER AUTH$0.095
PIN DEBIT SURCHARGE (INTERAC)
33%
Play Hay Day!
Feb 18, 2014
120 posts
16 upvotes
May 9th, 2017 5:41 pm
Does anyone know what this 33% under PIN Debit Surcharge (Interac) is? They sent me a form that was mostly blank, but I noticed these details:

INTERAC DEBIT
PER AUTH: $0.06 INTERAC FLASH PER AUTH$0.095
PIN DEBIT SURCHARGE (INTERAC)
33%
The 33% is only applicable if you are charging your customer to use the terminal. It represents 33% of the profit from the surcharge. As you are not surcharging, it is not applicable.

The 9.5c is your total cost for flash debit transactions. It is the 6c that is your regular fee, plus an additional 3.5c for flash.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2049 posts
322 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks very much for that clarification! I don't do any surcharging so I won't worry about it. I was just curious as I don't recall seeing that before.
Play Hay Day!
Feb 18, 2014
120 posts
16 upvotes
May 9th, 2017 10:39 pm
Thanks very much for that clarification! I don't do any surcharging so I won't worry about it. I was just curious as I don't recall seeing that before.
Glad to help. Which option did you choose for the terminal? Rental or purchase?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2049 posts
322 upvotes
Calgary
I actually decided to just buy the unit for $626 as renting it for a year would be $228. If I rented for 2.75 years it would be the same amount so I just decided to take a gamble on them not changing the units too quickly. The Elavon lady said that the unit should be fine for a good number of years, but who knows - I get the impression they are all on commission sales like telemarketers.
Play Hay Day!
Feb 18, 2014
120 posts
16 upvotes
May 11th, 2017 10:36 pm
I actually decided to just buy the unit for $626 as renting it for a year would be $228. If I rented for 2.75 years it would be the same amount so I just decided to take a gamble on them not changing the units too quickly. The Elavon lady said that the unit should be fine for a good number of years, but who knows - I get the impression they are all on commission sales like telemarketers.
Repairs will also cost you $199, as opposed to $49 on a rental. Hope it works out for you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2049 posts
322 upvotes
Calgary
Elavon seemed to mention that "Our service program for both our rental/purchase program is the same where we will service the equipment for as long as you have it." I'm not sure what exactly their service program is, but hopefully it isn't $199 a pop! We'll see how it goes. I never had to pay for my replacement unit when my original Ingenico 5100 developed some problems, but I was on the lease program I guess. I'll give an update if things go terribly wrong either way.
Play Hay Day!
Apr 6, 2010
483 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
May 12th, 2017 6:55 pm
Elavon seemed to mention that "Our service program for both our rental/purchase program is the same where we will service the equipment for as long as you have it." I'm not sure what exactly their service program is, but hopefully it isn't $199 a pop! We'll see how it goes. I never had to pay for my replacement unit when my original Ingenico 5100 developed some problems, but I was on the lease program I guess. I'll give an update if things go terribly wrong either way.
Standard Elavon charge for a terminal replacement - 1st year $49, any time after that $199. Sometimes they may choose not to charge anything but nobody will promise you that.
Good luck,
Cristian.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel