Freebies

[Initiative Q] Potential free 10-100k+ units of currency for upcoming payment network

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 7:55 pm
[OP]
Oct 17, 2011
239 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto

Potential free 10-100k+ units of currency for upcoming payment network

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Initiative Q
Apparently this a "payment system of the future" built by some people who used to work for PayPal.
The idea is that in order to make sure they have lots of engaged users at launch, they will reserve a large portion of their future currency for people who sign up early (according to the timeline published on their website, they don't expect to launch the network until late 2021 or later).

Currently, they are targetting a value of one "Q" = $1USD, and the potential sign-up bonus is somewhere north of 100k Qs (you get 10-12k for signing up, then about 10k for each friend you refer to a max of 5, and there's an additional 60k reserved for future activities -- note that these amounts decrease continuously as more people sign up, so they're rough numbers).

To be clear, I'm sure nothing will come of this new payment network, and I very sincerely doubt anyone will make any real money from this offer. This is only worthwhile because no significant info is required in order to sign up -- just name and email address -- so there's really no harm in giving it a shot.

I believe a referral is needed in order to sign up, but I'm sure you can Google around and find a random invite link if you need one. Please note that posting your referral link and offering or requesting referrals are all not permitted by RFD forum rules -- you'll just get your post deleted and potentially get this thread locked.

Lots of info on how it's supposed to work at these pages:
FAQ page: https://initiativeq.com/FAQ
Economic model explanation: https://initiativeq.com/knowledge/economic-model
Payment network description: https://initiativeq.com/knowledge/payment-network
13 replies
Aug 8, 2015
955 posts
1092 upvotes
Toronto
costabile wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 9:52 am

I believe a referral is needed in order to sign up, but I'm sure you can Google around and find a random invite link if you need one. Please note that posting your referral link and offering or requesting referrals are all not permitted by RFD forum rules -- you'll just get your post deleted and potentially get this thread locked.
You're indirectly offering your referral link.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2011
239 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
Paroxetine wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 12:32 pm
You're indirectly offering your referral link.
Got nothing to offer. Already used my 5 invites on family.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2245 posts
61 upvotes
Can I make 6 (1+5 invites) accounts myself? I can use any pseudo-name/email?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3281 posts
1956 upvotes
North Vancouver
Signed up for the hell of it. It's not hard to find invites online. It reeks of a pyramid scheme and I don't think anything will come out of it, but we'll see.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
2086 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
How do I get an invite?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2610 posts
519 upvotes
Ottawa
costabile wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 9:52 am
Currently, they are targetting a value of one "Q" = $1USD, and the potential sign-up bonus is somewhere north of 100k Qs (you get 10-12k for signing up, then about 10k for each friend you refer to a max of 5, and there's an additional 60k reserved for future activities -- note that these amounts decrease continuously as more people sign up, so they're rough numbers).

To be clear, I'm sure nothing will come of this new payment network, and I very sincerely doubt anyone will make any real money from this offer. This is only worthwhile because no significant info is required in order to sign up -- just name and email address -- so there's really no harm in giving it a shot.
This thing really doesn't make sense to me. Mainly because of the fact that with their expected exchange rate, they are "giving out" $12,000 USD on initial sign up, and if you have sufficient referrals within 96 hours, then you get reserved ~$100,000 USD
That high amount doesn't make sense at all.

This almost feels more like a weird social experiment or some kind of university lab / study.

For anyone interested, similar info to this, but from a different source:
https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/arti ... 53,00.html
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7719 posts
728 upvotes
Well, they could be trying to collect active real names, email addresses, and whatever else for marketing purposes. Of course, dangling a carrot like this would help.
Signature removed due to external link rule violation.
Jan 31, 2018
464 posts
353 upvotes
Probably legit but don't expect anything to come of it.
This is along the lines of the Ripple blockchain model which is roughly the reverse of how bitcoin is structured. They need to demonstrate large participation as a key factor for their model to prosper.

No high hopes of it amounting to much but the cost of entry is low - basically the time to sign up and a risk of gathering some spam.
Dec 8, 2010
501 posts
172 upvotes
Markham, Ontario
Just signed up via a referral from my friend. My Q sign-up bonus is only 2K+ out of possible 21K, whatever it means. Will see what will happen next.
Jun 15, 2011
38850 posts
5663 upvotes
King City
Is this a form of crypto currency?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
596 posts
237 upvotes
Ottawa
Back in 1998 I signed up for 3 free Travelzoo shares. I referred a friend and got 3 more. Fast forward 6 years. I check in and they had done a split to double my shares to 12 and they were worth $80 USD each! I couldn't sell fast enough. I think I netted $800 CAD.

So, this was a no brainer.