• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2017 4:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 17, 2012
48 posts

Injured at Goodlife Gym

Hey forum,

About an hour ago I was getting on the stairmaster machine to do my daily cardio and injured my shoulder while getting on.

When getting on the machine there's usually resistance that allows you to get on and start. When I tried stepping on the stairs rolled due to no rotation. In accordance to avoid smashing my face on the steps, I grabbed the handle and pulled something horribly.

I told one of the staff members about the machine, and she said yes the machine isn't working and added a warning label. The machine was broken without any note put on there like it's usually done when a machine is out of commission.

Is there anything I can do to voice my concern about my shoulder?

Picture is added after the labels were added.
Screenshot_20171002-182254.png
Thanks in advance.
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7964 posts
2804 upvotes
Toronto
Talk with the manager of goodlife and see what they can do, maybe throw in free physio sessions for your shoulder.
Don't think you can sue, if that's what you were thinking about as those pages of agreement of membership should have something covered in the event of machine not working and they are not liable.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jul 31, 2016
270 posts
147 upvotes
Try the manager and then escalate to head office.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2306 upvotes
Edmonton
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 7:45 pm
Talk with the manager of goodlife and see what they can do, maybe throw in free physio sessions for your shoulder.
Don't think you can sue, if that's what you were thinking about as those pages of agreement of membership should have something covered in the event of machine not working and they are not liable.
Any disclaimers like that are not worth the paper they're printed on if the staff knew of the issue and hadn't dealt with it in a timely manner, AFAIK. But starting by talking to the manager and then the head office is a good idea.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4677 posts
418 upvotes
Sure you can sue but the claim isn't worth a lot ( disclaimer would not apply) - speak to the manager and tell them what you are looking for - if that doesn't resolve it ask then if they have filed an incident report and I would then follow up with a registered letter with threat of a lawsuit
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
if that clause is illegal, even if you agree to it, it won't hold up in court
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2306 upvotes
Edmonton
CNeufeld wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 10:43 am
Any disclaimers like that are not worth the paper they're printed on if the staff knew of the issue and hadn't dealt with it in a timely manner, AFAIK. But starting by talking to the manager and then the head office is a good idea.

C
I may have lied about this...
http://mccagueborlack.com/emails/articl ... ivers.html

C
[OP]
Apr 17, 2012
48 posts
Thank you for the input fellas. I'll be in touch with the manger tomorrow morning, pain has progressively gotten worse.

Will keep you guys updated. Thanks
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23373 posts
1097 upvotes
Markham, ON
did you miss work?
did you have to use your own money for medical/medicine?

if you are serious...you need to see a doctor and then get an xray or ultrasound
Last edited by thelefteyeguy on Oct 4th, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 7, 2017
281 posts
119 upvotes
- It will be a he said she said case
- manager won't do anything cause then it is shown as guilt
- How did you hurt your shoulder on a stair master?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1788 posts
98 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
....Don't think you can sue, if that's what you were thinking about as those pages of agreement of membership should have something covered in the event of machine not working and they are not liable.
this is not true.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1788 posts
98 upvotes
rb wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 11:06 am
Sure you can sue but the claim isn't worth a lot ( disclaimer would not apply) - speak to the manager and tell them what you are looking for - if that doesn't resolve it ask then if they have filed an incident report and I would then follow up with a registered letter with threat of a lawsuit
I fail to see how you have determined what the claim is worth.

The valuation depends on a great deal many factors. None of which were disclosed.
For example... if the OP was a professional baseball pitcher and he injured his throwing shoulder in this incident, it would be worth far more than a millennial video game developer.
If he was a retired teacher it would be worth far less than a similar claim brought forth by an employee of a landscaping company.
etc. etc. etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4677 posts
418 upvotes
mcewen wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 11:13 am
I fail to see how you have determined what the claim is worth.

The valuation depends on a great deal many factors. None of which were disclosed.
For example... if the OP was a professional baseball pitcher and he injured his throwing shoulder in this incident, it would be worth far more than a millennial video game developer.
If he was a retired teacher it would be worth far less than a similar claim brought forth by an employee of a landscaping company.
etc. etc. etc.
Correct but I don't think OP is a baseball pitcher - probably just an ordinary Joe like you and me , if you really wanted to get into nitty gritty we could get into medicals, past issues with this shoulder, what his future plans were in terms of career, is he a caregiver, his age , what activities have been impacted etc etc
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1788 posts
98 upvotes
rb wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 11:43 am
Correct but I don't think OP is a baseball pitcher - probably just an ordinary Joe like you and me , if you really wanted to get into nitty gritty we could get into medicals, past issues with this shoulder, what his future plans were in terms of career, is he a caregiver, his age , what activities have been impacted etc etc
Agreed. I was merely making a point at how a blanket statement "it isn't worth a lot" isn't necessarily true.