Sports & Recreation

Injured at Goodlife Gym

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2017 4:52 pm
Tags:
Aug 31, 2017
198 posts
48 upvotes
You can make a claim against Goodlife. They probably have a Commercial General Liability policy. They already offer liability insurance to there personal trainers (I believe up to $2mill). Now if you want to come up with a compromise with Goodlife, that's fine. They will probably require you to sign a waiver (to release them from future liability) if they're smart though. The fact that they put up stickers after your incident will work in your favour for liability.
Sep 19, 2013
953 posts
275 upvotes
Winnipeg
What happened to the story? OP, are you still alive?
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
1728 posts
176 upvotes
not related to the OP post but one time someone shit in the shower at Goodlife on a Monday and they didn't clean it until the Wednesday.
Some people meditate, I smoke cigars.
Feb 16, 2013
522 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
TicoGato wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 10:11 am
Try the manager and then escalate to head office.
Don't escalate. Take the stairs to make up for the cardio...
May 7, 2017
293 posts
121 upvotes
cowbunpants wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 3:06 pm
Don't escalate. Take the stairs to make up for the cardio...
I actually laughed at that one.
[OP]
Apr 17, 2012
48 posts
Thank you everyone for your replies. @amitdi I died and came back to life LOL

So I got a call from Goodlife today in accordance to continuous payments that had been charged for over 5 months after I changed from a regular membership to a corporate one.. Prior to today, I was never contacted by Goodlife for the whole situation thinking they're coming up with a solution (plus busy with my own life).

My shoulder pain has gotten worse over time despite the fact that I have shaded away from shoulder/chest exercises as much as possible.

I went in for an ultrasound earlier this month which came clear other than some swelling (which seems to be normal for a fit person). I am now booked in for an MRI on the 22nd of November for a detailed checkup to see what damage has occurred.

I will keep you guys posted.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4784 posts
917 upvotes
Mississauga
I still don't understand how someone gets on to a stair climbing machine without holding the handles first prior to stepping on. Not trying to make fun nor insult, but genuinely wondering. Please enlighten me, if I've misunderstood that's how this injury came about.
Jan 4, 2017
155 posts
40 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:11 am
I still don't understand how someone gets on to a stair climbing machine without holding the handles first prior to stepping on. Not trying to make fun nor insult, but genuinely wondering. Please enlighten me, if I've misunderstood that's how this injury came about.
The stairs are usually either at a complete lock, or heavy resistance on these climbers (i can't recall as i've only used them once). Assuming there was zero resistance and he grabbed the high handle straining his shoulder.

OP - I would take the proper steps as you have been and document everything in regards to your check-ups and results. I'm assuming you strained something in your shoulder, but at least you have an MRI to confirm. Go through the proper channels, email the GM of that location (one of the better goodlife locations imo) as well as head office. I'm sure they'll help you out somehow.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4784 posts
917 upvotes
Mississauga
jesguerra wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:56 am
The stairs are usually either at a complete lock, or heavy resistance on these climbers (i can't recall as i've only used them once). Assuming there was zero resistance and he grabbed the high handle straining his shoulder.
No, I understand all that - I've used it before. What I mean is that, when I am getting on, I'm holding both handles, and stepping on with one foot first. As you step down on that fore foot, you would notice it giving instantly, but you still have three anchored points (both handles and back foot). That's my point.

OP said he/she was falling nearly on his/her face so quickly grabbed the handle (meaning was not holding it already). That's how I understood it.

In any case, hopefully OP does not have any serious damage or anything to an affected muscle.
Jan 4, 2017
155 posts
40 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 4:15 pm
No, I understand all that - I've used it before. What I mean is that, when I am getting on, I'm holding both handles, and stepping on with one foot first. As you step down on that fore foot, you would notice it giving instantly, but you still have three anchored points (both handles and back foot). That's my point.

OP said he/she was falling nearly on his/her face so quickly grabbed the handle (meaning was not holding it already). That's how I understood it.

In any case, hopefully OP does not have any serious damage or anything to an affected muscle.
Yea i guess he just planted a foot on the first step without first grabbing onto the handles.