Injured in martial art class by instructor

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2018 10:51 am
[OP]
May 18, 2008
183 posts
3 upvotes

Injured in martial art class by instructor

I was going to this wrestling /jiu justu class I had with Groupon and after class with rolled after we learned bit technique
I was rolling with instructor and on 3 round he flipped me and my right arm landed and twisted
I was in lot pain and yelling . It’s very sore in elbow area and taking Advil , Ice and numbing cream
My question is should I text and tell owner that as a brown belt he should forescreen it coming . I rolled with other instructor and other guys before and never got injured this bad
What can I do
I know I can’t sue since I sign waiver but what should I tell owner of gym
The instructor who injure me wasn’t that helpful either. Told me had return ice cans can’t bring it with me even though other students said go ahead we got tons. Didn’t show any empathy
22 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1532 posts
553 upvotes
Tokyo
What can you do? Vote with your wallet and not sign up for an actual membership.

Better yet, what are you looking for?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9043 posts
881 upvotes
Toronto
Well now he knows how to injure someone if need be.

OP just don’t go back, recover and continue elsewhere
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1407 posts
720 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@joe4520 Did the school not show you how to fall properly? I have coached amateur wrestlers for many years. The first things they learn is how to fall, roll, etc. This is all done well before they learn to actually do the various throws.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
May 18, 2008
183 posts
3 upvotes
It was a flip butterfly sweep he said and Ianded and right arm twisted
Brutal
Hurts a lot
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6683 posts
1239 upvotes
Mississauga
joe4520 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 4:52 pm
I was going to this wrestling /jiu justu class I had with Groupon and after class with rolled after we learned bit technique
I was rolling with instructor and on 3 round he flipped me and my right arm landed and twisted
I was in lot pain and yelling . It’s very sore in elbow area and taking Advil , Ice and numbing cream
My question is should I text and tell owner that as a brown belt he should forescreen it coming . I rolled with other instructor and other guys before and never got injured this bad
What can I do
I know I can’t sue since I sign waiver but what should I tell owner of gym
The instructor who injure me wasn’t that helpful either. Told me had return ice cans can’t bring it with me even though other students said go ahead we got tons. Didn’t show any empathy
Sorry that you got hurt that's the chance you take. My son is a Black Belt and you get lots of bumps and bruises along the way.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4710 posts
892 upvotes
Go to hospital. Get documentation. Waiver form covers normal injury, not negligence of people beating up on you for fun! Talk to lawyer right away. Good luck.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6116 posts
2197 upvotes
ON
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 6:05 pm
Sorry that you got hurt that's the chance you take. My son is a Black Belt and you get lots of bumps and bruises along the way.
He's really a black n blue belt then...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6683 posts
1239 upvotes
Mississauga
dilligafeh wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 9:23 pm
He's really a black n blue belt then...
So true. lol
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3772 posts
394 upvotes
Ottawa
You might want to speak with a personal injury lawyer (many offer a free consultation). Liability waivers aren't a 100%, automatic "we are not liable at all because you signed this form" document.
Dec 15, 2017
604 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
I'm sorry but if you got hurt just for a simple flip in a padded floor it means that you should not be within 500 m of a martial arts gym or a fight or doing a man's job.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7622 posts
2003 upvotes
Toronto
use it as motivation. heal up then go to another place with a jiu jitsu master. dedicate your life to becoming the best possible black belt you can be. wax on wax off daniel san.
...then sign back up to the same place, pretend like you're still an amateur, volunteer to roll with the same instructor and bust him up :twisted:
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Dec 29, 2012
470 posts
83 upvotes
Scarborough
That's why you sign a waiver. It's the same with any risky sport. I've been injured more by beginners but one instructor did separate my shoulder which took 5+ months to heal. Cracked rib from sidethrust kick, torn ACL from aikido throw, broken toe from same, boxers' fracture from 1st self defense lesson, and just 2 months' ago another cracked rib from rolling in KM. You just heal up, and either give up, start again or take another type of non-contact sport. What this taught me was how fragile the body is ... and none of the injuries was due to malevolent intent. We were all just doing our best to train.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1694 posts
868 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
This is a butterfly sweep:

Are you saying that's all he did and you got hurt from it?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17927 posts
1499 upvotes
Niagara Falls
You could speak with the head instructor, but in doubt you'll get much sympathy. People occasionally get injuries during live sparring. Honestly, if you're getting into BJJ you'll probably be sore fairly often.

You're also going to have to know when to base out and when not to bake out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)