• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2009 1:25 am
Tags:
None
Apr 19, 2008
150 posts

Injured raccoon in my backyard

I dunno what to do...

There's a young raccoon lying at the edge of my pool. I didn't think much of it until now because I thought it was just resting. It tried to get up just now and I think one of its hind legs is broken. It looked to be in a very awkward position.

It drinks out of my pool every now and then but barely moves. I gave it some food and water but it didn't take any.

How can I help it?
Share:
20 replies
[OP]
Apr 19, 2008
150 posts
I live in Mississauga btw.

Raccoons drink from my pool all the time, I mean probably everyday. I see them do it very often.

Do I just give them a call? How much do they charge for something like this?

Update: it's now trying desparately to climb under my deck...
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1579 posts
32 upvotes
Etobicoke
lol. first thing u do is make a thread about it?

food and water are not going to help it. it needs medical care.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2008
150 posts
tyfriend wrote:
Aug 1st, 2009 6:12 pm
lol. first thing u do is make a thread about it?
No, that's not the first thing I did. I've been researching on how to handle this, but I'm still not sure.

THANKS for contributing!
[OP]
Apr 19, 2008
150 posts
Just called Toronto Humane Society, they won't do anything about it because I'm not in Toronto. They apparently don't know of any other places for me to call either, but ASSURED me that there is one out there.

THANKS TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2008
1231 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Where are you? I was going to give you the Toronto wildlife hotline but then you said you weren't in Toronto (they probably wouldn't help either).

edit: I can't read. Lol

edit edit: Actually, they MIGHT be able to help you (a Toronto Star article says "The centre serves an area from the GTA to Barrie, west to Hamilton and east to Peterborough."). Calling won't hurt anyway.

http://www.torontowildlifecentre.com/pa ... _todo.html
For sick or injured animals:

If you feel it is safe to do so, confine the animal to a cardboard box in a warm, dark quiet place away from people and pets. Call our Wildlife Hotline at (416) 631-0662 and leave a message. While you are waiting for a call back, please keep noise levels low, and do not handle or look at the animal as this is stressful for wildlife. Please do not offer the animal anything to eat or drink until you have spoken to one of our hotline staff.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3841 posts
77 upvotes
Hamilton
I would call animal control....they could tell you what to do.

last wk i had a dead squirel on my lawn & they came & picked up the carcas.

they may tell you to call the SPCA, they may lend you a cage to try & trap it & then they will take it away.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2008
150 posts
Too late...it's dead...

I just found the damn fking number too! Went out to check where it was before I called and now it's dead.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2008
1231 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
czhe wrote:
Aug 1st, 2009 6:21 pm
Too late...it's dead...

I just found the damn fking number too! Went out to check where it was before I called and now it's dead.
Damn :cry:
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12205 posts
92 upvotes
Careful.

That raccoon could be playing possum.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
109 upvotes
Awww =(( onlyy some minutes latee =( arghh..
So what are you going to do with it now?
Banned
Jul 3, 2008
607 posts
2 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
czhe wrote:
Aug 1st, 2009 6:21 pm
Too late...it's dead...

Problem solved?

Now you just have to worry about whatever broke it's legs... It could have been because the raccoon owed some money to the wrong people but do you really want to take that chance?
[OP]
Apr 19, 2008
150 posts
I'm going to dispose of it.

Thanks to those why tried to help. I wish I acted faster.
× < >