• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2019 12:53 pm
[OP]
Oct 12, 2014
320 posts
25 upvotes
North York, ON

Inkjet Printer Recommendation

Any recommendations for a new inkjet printer for general home use? Dont need top quality photo printing, need reliability, wireless and looking to save ink costs in the long run. Budget is up to $200.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21595 posts
7510 upvotes
yellowlight18 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 4:51 pm
save ink costs
Does not compute.

HP Instant Ink is about as close as you're going to get to "saving on ink costs" but that's only worth it if you print something with a lot of ink on it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5480 posts
684 upvotes
Scarborough
We got the HP Envy 4520. (3 in 1)
Pretty good for ink use and better than canon so far. Economical too
Jan 21, 2018
438 posts
328 upvotes
Vancouver
For your requirement forget ink-jet. Buy a cheap colour laser printer with a starter cartridge. Use up the starter cartridge - it will last quite a while because you won't waste half the toner on head cleaning like you would waste ink with an ink-jet printer. When the starter cartridge runs out, throw away the printer and buy a new one, because it's cheaper than refilling the toner cartridges due to the silly practice of printer manufacturers practically giving away the printer in hopes that you will buy expensive toner cartridges later.
May 12, 2004
777 posts
89 upvotes
Get an Epson EcoTank or Canon MegaTank inkjet. It's only worthwhile if you plan to print regularly. They have lower print/page costs than lasers. Even when printing colors.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4678 posts
1888 upvotes
yellowlight18 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 4:51 pm
Any recommendations for a new inkjet printer for general home use? Dont need top quality photo printing, need reliability, wireless and looking to save ink costs in the long run. Budget is up to $200.
if you don't need color 99% of time then grab a black and white brother printer- you only use toner when it is printing, vs ink which will auto clean the nozzles once a week and right before printing or after it is turned on. For trouble-free laser wins. You can never turn off a inkjet for more than a week before the nozzles are at risk of clogging.

If you need to print photos go to Walmart with a usb stick and let them do it - their printers will be far superior to what you can buy for yourself.
Jun 30, 2009
594 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver
Unless you print daily, you want a laser printer for general home use. Otherwise the ink will dry or clog the nozzles if the printer is dormant for too long. And even then, ink seems more expensive. You might also have to worry about ink bleeding through your paper if the paper weight's too light, but that might have changed with newer ink printers. The only benefit of an ink printer over laser is that ink printers tend to be physically smaller because they don't need the space for big toner cartridges. But a laser printer can be unplugged and then still print fine if you power it back on months later. And I know there are people who swear by super cheap toner refill kits. I'm still on my old toner cartridge so I haven't tried one of those yet.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5721 posts
2094 upvotes
Alberta
Whatever you do don't buy a Canon, I'll never buy another one. I have a Canon MG7720 and this thing drinks ink like you wouldn't believe. I print about 15 pages of grey scale text using 271XL cartridges and all 4 color cartridges are empty. What it does is when it starts up it goes through a 5 min+ clean cycle where it purges a ton of ink. Then when it shuts off, it goes through another 5 min clean cycle. This cleaning happens every time you print. I just replaced the ink cartridges and it cost $129. For printing 15 pages, that's absolutely crazy. Scraping this POS Canon for a Epson ET-2750 Ecotank.
Jan 21, 2018
438 posts
328 upvotes
Vancouver
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 2:22 am
Whatever you do don't buy a Canon, I'll never buy another one. I have a Canon MG7720 and this thing drinks ink like you wouldn't believe. I print about 15 pages of grey scale text using 271XL cartridges and all 4 color cartridges are empty. What it does is when it starts up it goes through a 5 min+ clean cycle where it purges a ton of ink. Then when it shuts off, it goes through another 5 min clean cycle. This cleaning happens every time you print. I just replaced the ink cartridges and it cost $129. For printing 15 pages, that's absolutely crazy. Scraping this POS Canon for a Epson ET-2750 Ecotank.
I have a Canon MB2720, and I totally agree with this assessment. While it's a decent printer overall, it takes the waste of ink on head cleaning to ridiculous new heights. It's so irritating to turn the printer on to print a quick page and then have to sit there through a 5-minute cleaning cycle while you watch the ink level drop steadily. However there are viable cheap ink cartridges. I bought this set of colourx3 + 2 black XL cartridges for $8.70 on sale, although I see they have put the price up to $20 now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5721 posts
2094 upvotes
Alberta
Scote64, which brand of ink cartridges are you using and do they have a computer chip? I've been reading reviews on Amazon and it seems that a lot of cartridges don't work because of the computer chip in the cartridge. I went to Costco yesterday and they can refill the 271XL cartridge for $11 and reset the cartridge chip BUT, she said that you have to do a reset on the printer before you can install the cartridge. Screw that, it's more of a pain in the a$$ to do that than paying for a new Canon cartridge. Really like the MG7720 but, I think I'm going to scrap it for a Epson 3750 Super Tank. This printer comes with enough ink to do 14,000 black/white or 11,200 color prints.
Jan 21, 2018
438 posts
328 upvotes
Vancouver
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 8:24 pm
Scote64, which brand of ink cartridges are you using and do they have a computer chip? I've been reading reviews on Amazon and it seems that a lot of cartridges don't work because of the computer chip in the cartridge. I went to Costco yesterday and they can refill the 271XL cartridge for $11 and reset the cartridge chip BUT, she said that you have to do a reset on the printer before you can install the cartridge. Screw that, it's more of a pain in the a$$ to do that than paying for a new Canon cartridge. Really like the MG7720 but, I think I'm going to scrap it for a Epson 3750 Super Tank. This printer comes with enough ink to do 14,000 black/white or 11,200 color prints.
The link to the cartridges I bought is in my post (see "this set"). No idea if they have a chip or not, but they work fine with my Canon printer, showing correct ink status AFAIK. I'm aware that some cartridges use chips harvested from old original cartridges, and sometimes they don't show the proper level of ink, but I haven't run into those problems with this specific combination of printer and cartridge yet.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24394 posts
4655 upvotes
Best inkjunk recommendation: don't buy an inkjunk.
Jan 21, 2018
438 posts
328 upvotes
Vancouver
Xerox colour laser $270, starter cartridges 1500 pages bw / 1000 pages color:
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/work/shop/xe ... -ink-toner

None wasted on head cleaning. Do the math. Compare that to ink jets that really cost you x2 the nominal cost per page because of ink wastage, and the high likelihood of it clogging and having to be thrown out long before you get full value from it. How long will it take you to print 1500 pages with the colour laser? Worth throwing the printer away and buying a new one when the cartridges run out?
Oct 2, 2018
66 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
The newer inkjets on the market have a higher upfront cost (say $400 - $450) however have tanks which come filled and can print upwards to 25,000 pages or more depending on model (Includes enough ink to print up to 14,000 pages black/11,200 color. You also can buy refill bottles which are very inexpensive, to fill up the tanks over and over.

This is the way things should have been done from the beginning, charge us more upfront to recoup the cost of the printer itself and sell us the ink for cheap so we can actually do what it is meant to do.

The specialized cartridges of the past you save initially on the printer, but the hose you for the ink and because of that you limit the use for printing itself due to the overall ink costs.

So i would go the inkjet (like Epson but any brand will suffice) with refillable tanks to maximize your printing and minimize your lifetime costs.

Good luck.